High School Football 2019

4_tattoos

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I didn't realize Bellaire St. John closed! Granted I haven't been back to the Ohio Valley in years. In Texas, the oilfield boom has slowed for years but the housing prices haven't, so you'll see people leaving northwest Texas because they can't afford to live in those overpriced homes and apartments. And between Van Horn and El Paso more schools are looking to 6-man since it's cheaper to pay for than 11 man. Especially in communities that seem to be shrinking yearly.

There aren't that many schools and communities between El Paso and Van Horn to begin with though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

It depends on your background. Someone from Texas would find it odd you'd say that. Someone from New York City where hs football isn't even allowed to be attendance at most games would probably completely agree with you. But outside big cities, your high school teams are the closest thing to having a team represent you. 

A Friday night in an area where high school football is a thing is just different. Many big cities, especially east coast, just don't have that draw. Too much to do and most games are probably Friday afternoon or Saturday mornings due to bad neighborhoods around those cities. Moving the games from night are to alleviate those issues. 

Yeah, I live in Northeast Ohio in a city with a population of about 18,000. We are basically "ground zero" for HS football. Within 20 miles of me in any direction are dozens of small towns with teams that are "the closest thing to having a team represent you." I've done season highlight videos for four of those teams (including 7 straight years with one of them and 5 years with another) with all the teams from the area showing up as opponents in those videos. I've been right in the belly of the Ohio High School Football beast. And you know what? In all that time the crowds changed with the players. I never met a "long time" Norwalk Truckers or Edison Chargers fan. Even the people here in the exact type of area you're referring to think it's weird for people to follow a high school team for no other reason than being a fan. 99% of the adults at the games move on when their kids/nephews/nieces/neighbor kid/whatever do. It's as simple as that. I watched it happen for 10 years. People I'd meet and get to know while their kids played would be gone after that kid's senior season. Without fail. 

Sorry, but it is a little weird. Even us Ohioans think so. That being said, y'all do you. If HS football is your thing, more power to you. 

EDIT: Almost forgot this...the vast majority of the people around here see Ohio State as the "team that represents us." Except in Cincinnati. Cincinnati hates Ohio State. You'd have to ask them why. 

BB52Big.jpg

I think it's neat to hear about other teams in other states. Plus, as an alumni of my school (Denison-Schleswig, IA), it comes with the territory. That said, I understand why you think it's weird infrared.

My alma mater lost a close one 15-8 on Saturday to fall to 1-2. They'll play their arch rival Friendly HS on Friday night. Actually the first time in a few years they've played each other due to being in different classes.

SN: One of my old schoolmates is a JV coach now. Apparently one of his players broke two of their toes in a game earlier this season after a full water bottle slipped out of his hand and landed on his foot. Am I underestimating how much force a water bottle has during a 3 to 4 foot drop? In my mind that shouldn't be able to break toes.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

13 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

My alma mater lost a close one 15-8 on Saturday to fall to 1-2. They'll play their arch rival Friendly HS on Friday night. Actually the first time in a few years they've played each other due to being in different classes.

SN: One of my old schoolmates is a JV coach now. Apparently one of his players broke two of their toes in a game earlier this season after a full water bottle slipped out of his hand and landed on his foot. Am I underestimating how much force a water bottle has during a 3 to 4 foot drop? In my mind that shouldn't be able to break toes.

Well, it was a full water bottle... if it was empty, then it wouldn't do that. Since the bottle was filled with water, then the added weight could do this. It only takes 25 pounds of pressure to break a smaller bone, like in the toes.

Anyhow... In my neck of the woods, Kelso is 3-0 and won't play this week. Aberdeen, the team they were supposed to play next week, forfeited the upcoming game and so the Hilanders are going to have a alumni flag football game in place of the game they were supposed to play.

For some odd reason my alma mater's game this week was played on Thursday night instead of Friday night. Playing on Thursday must've brought them luck because they beat arch rival Friendly HS 28-20 last night. First time they beat them since the 1995 season. Former NFL Linebacker Julian Peterson was a senior playing for our alma mater the last time Crossland beat Friendly.... It's a rivalry is mainly do to proximity to each other.... the basketball series between the two schools isn't as lopsided lol

Locally, St. John's College HS (DC) is hosting number 1 ranked Mater Dei (CA) right now on ESPNU at Catholic University.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, 4_tattoos said:

For some odd reason my alma mater's game this week was played on Thursday night instead of Friday night. Playing on Thursday must've brought them luck because they beat arch rival Friendly HS 28-20 last night. First time they beat them since the 1995 season. Former NFL Linebacker Julian Peterson was a senior playing for our alma mater the last time Crossland beat Friendly.... It's a rivalry is mainly do to proximity to each other.... the basketball series between the two schools isn't as lopsided lol

Locally, St. John's College HS (DC) is hosting number 1 ranked Mater Dei (CA) right now on ESPNU at Catholic University.

Very good chance it was due to a lack of officials. Some weekends there are too many home games in am area and not enough officially available for them. So it's either Thursday or Saturday depending whether that area is okay playing Saturdays. Some states it's practically sacrilege to play on Saturday. 

16 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Very good chance it was due to a lack of officials. Some weekends there are too many home games in am area and not enough officially available for them. So it's either Thursday or Saturday depending whether that area is okay playing Saturdays. Some states it's practically sacrilege to play on Saturday. 

I checked the Washington Post's schedule for that day and there was only one other varsity football game scheduled for that Thursday in a neighboring county. Keep in mind the Post only covers the Maryland schools within the DC area. Not sure about the rest of the state.

As far as Saturday afternoon games go, that is/was the norm for my home county. The Prince George's County Public School System has over 20 high schools. Until about 5 years ago, only 3 schools in the entire county had lights. To my knowledge 7 of the county's schools have had lights installed in recent years.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, 4_tattoos said:

For some odd reason my alma mater's game this week was played on Thursday night instead of Friday night.

Was the game televised, by chance? I ask because in Ohio the OHSAA doesn't allow live TV broadcasts of football on Fridays. Only radio.  As a result, the local FOX Sports affiliate set up a schedule of Thursday night games that are televised live. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Was the game televised, by chance? I ask because in Ohio the OHSAA doesn't allow live TV broadcasts of football on Fridays. Only radio.  As a result, the local FOX Sports affiliate set up a schedule of Thursday night games that are televised live. 

No. Some DC area games are streamed lived by Monumental Sports, but that game wasn't on Monumental's schedule. The only time high school games are televised lived here are for the state championships.

I know here in Washington State that the 3A and 4A title games are on Root Sports Northwest.

Speaking of the title games, the state had to move them from the Tacoma Dome thanks to rising rent prices and a seating change. They'll still be in the Tacoma area, but not at the dome itself. The 1B and 4A championship games will be Mt. Tahoma Stadium (Which is in Tacoma), the 2A and 3A championship games will be Sparks Stadium in Puyallup and the 2B and 1A championship games will be at Harry Lang Stadium in Lakewood.

The stadiums are within 13 miles of each other, so fans can go to one game and then catch another (One ticket is good for all three sites). If the title game is between two central or eastern schools, then they may move the game to a closer location for them with state approval.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:01 AM, infrared41 said:

Yeah, I live in Northeast Ohio in a city with a population of about 18,000. We are basically "ground zero" for HS football. Within 20 miles of me in any direction are dozens of small towns with teams that are "the closest thing to having a team represent you." I've done season highlight videos for four of those teams (including 7 straight years with one of them and 5 years with another) with all the teams from the area showing up as opponents in those videos. I've been right in the belly of the Ohio High School Football beast. And you know what? In all that time the crowds changed with the players. I never met a "long time" Norwalk Truckers or Edison Chargers fan. Even the people here in the exact type of area you're referring to think it's weird for people to follow a high school team for no other reason than being a fan. 99% of the adults at the games move on when their kids/nephews/nieces/neighbor kid/whatever do. It's as simple as that. I watched it happen for 10 years. People I'd meet and get to know while their kids played would be gone after that kid's senior season. Without fail. 

Sorry, but it is a little weird. Even us Ohioans think so. That being said, y'all do you. If HS football is your thing, more power to you. 

EDIT: Almost forgot this...the vast majority of the people around here see Ohio State as the "team that represents us." Except in Cincinnati. Cincinnati hates Ohio State. You'd have to ask them why. 

In the smaller towns it's different. In Tuscarawas County (Dover, New Philadelphia), you will see people that haven't had kids in the system for years, but if they don't go to events like this they aren't involved in the community at all. My old bus driver also ran the local gas station and his kids were all grown before I even started school but you'd see him at all the games regardless of sport. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So my alma mater had it's homecoming game today which I attended. They won 54-6 and are now 3-2 on the season.

My one regret, sitting next to the JV team's section. I forgot how extremely crude teenage boys can be. Spent most of the game trying not to laugh at their brand of humor.

The alma mater got beat 42-12 earlier today to fall to 3-3 on this season. Fortunately a few teams ahead of them in the region lost too so their current playoff standing may not be effected much.

• 2 weeks later...

Iowa had their season finale last night and the playoff field is set. I'll only cover what is considered 'local' from where I used to live.

Class 2A: Greene County made it in as the 8 seed and hits the road to play 9 seed Des Moines Christian. The winner here takes on the winner of the game between 16 seed Central Lyon/George-Little Rock and 3 seed Algona.

Class 1A: South Central Calhoun earned the 6 seed and will host the 12 seed Mount Ayr. The winner here takes on the winner of the game between the 16 seed Pella Christian and top overall seed Van Meter.

Class A: IKM-Manning made it in as the 13 seed, but got the short end of the stick as they drew top overall seed West Hancock. Should the Wolves somehow pull it off, they would get the winner of the game between the 15 seed Neola Tri-Center and 9 seed South O'Brien.

Eight Man: Two local teams made it in here. Audubon is the top overall seed and hosts 12 seed Harris-Lake Park. The winner here takes on the winner of the game between the 8 seed Anita CAM and the 10 seed Lamoni. Meanwhile, Coon Rapids-Bayard earned the 5 seed, but has to hit the road to play the 7 seed Fremont-Mills. The winner here will take on the winner of the game between 9 seed East Mills and 4 seed Remsen St. Mary's.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:37 PM, dfwabel said:

Wow, Mater Dei @ St. John Bosco in SoCal is ongoing tonight, MaxPreps #1 vs. #2 and none of y'all HS Stans posted about HS football for two weeks... yet I was the problem om this thread.

There's over 16,000 high school football teams. Most actual fans detest the super teams like Gorman, IMG, etc that are basically assembled club teams disguised as a high school team. 

Ohio finishes the regular season this week. Biggest surprise this year is that New Philadelphia is still 9-0 and 1st in their region. They play Dover on Friday with a perfect regular season at stake. My alma mater is looking at a perfect season as well. They are 0-9 and playing the top team in the league, Indian Valley. It's going to be ugly and it's on Halloween night for some reason instead of Saturday when it was normally held. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Final week of regular of Maryland public schools. My alma mater is 🤬ing 3-5. However due to MD expanding it's playoff field to 32 teams for each class this season, my school is still holding on to the 8th and final seed in the 2A South region. This week they end the season against the number team in their region who's undefeated and looking to potentially secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Annnd there's still a chance that a loss could knock them out of the playoffs because the 9th place team in the region is just 1 game behind them at 2-6.

I'm conflicted. Was very much against the playoffs being expanded due to the probability of teams with losing records getting in (there's a lot of them across the board by the way), and now my alma mater may probably be one of the first teams to benefit from it. Does not feel right.

Archived