High School Football 2019

4_tattoos

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

School #29 cancels its season, this one in West Virginia

And more from Lee County, FL:

It is with great disappointment that we are writing this to inform you that all home high school football scrimmages will not be played this week due to breach of contract by the South Gulf Football Officials Association (SGFOA).

In May of 2019, our high schools signed contracts with the SFGOA that defined compensation. Ten days ago, the SGFOA notified us that they would not honor that contract and wanted more compensation.

It is important to note that The Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) sets the maximum amount that the referees can be paid. Our District pays that maximum amount.

Based on the SGFOA’s actions, the FHSAA revoked the Association’s sanction, meaning they are no longer allowed to referee games. The FHSAA worked diligently to secure officials for this weekend’s games, but were unable to do so.

We want to make it clear that we absolutely agree officials should be compensated at a higher rate, and have promised to lead that charge when their contract comes up for renewal with the FHSAA.

We will continue to work on a resolution to this matter so our athletes can play, our coaches can coach, our bands can play, our cheerleaders can cheer, and our families and communities can support their teams.

EDIT:  Officials in neighboring counties will not work games in Lee County in an effort to support the officials who are now unsanctioned by the FSHSA.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2019/08/14/preseason-football-games-cancelled-lee-county-work-stoppage/2009506001/

On Wednesday, Eddie Lewin, vice president of the SGFOA, said all nine schools outside of the Lee public district had signed contracts with the group. The new deal calls for $10 more per official per game, plus each school would pay a $300 administrative fee with the money going back to the refs.

Officials associations in nearby counties — Collier, Sarasota, Manatee, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin — have said they will not work games in Lee County or ones moved into their own counties in support of the SGFOA. With a statewide officials shortage, few associations have spare referees to send.

The regular season begins next week and if the SGFOA still is not sanctioned, replacement officials must be found. Or a new officials group could be formed and sanctioned, but the only local officials available would be former SGFOA refs who could still refuse to work.

"We're looking to get coverage (for the games) so students don't have to suffer as a result of the SGFOA extorting the district, using students to get more money," Patricca said.

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Any NFL players come from your high school?  My high school has two: 49ers Defensive Lineman Solomon Thomas and Cowboys OL Connor Williams.

Went to Crossland High School in Temple Hills, MD. Former Pro Bowl Linebacker Julian Peterson (Niners, Seahawks, Lions) is an alumni. Graduated in 1996.

OT: former NBA player Walt Williams also went to my HS. Believe he graduated in the 80's.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Another coach fired during training camp, but this one is a bit more muddled.

Hot and tense.

That was the description provided about the atmosphere at Sunday night’s emergency meeting called for Taylor County’s football team.

What happened at the end left the Bulldogs without a head coach heading into their Week 1 regular-season home game against Dixie County.

Maurice Belser, who had only been head coach and athletic director for a matter of seven weeks, quit after players publicly protested his coaching methodology and treatment of players over summer workouts and in the first weeks of organized practice.

snip

But the issue took a turn when, during the third week of summer workouts, players say Belser kicked three senior players off the team who missed a camp in Steinhatchee because they had jobs.

At Sunday night’s emergency meeting, senior Robert Glanton spoke up. Glanton is a star player who was a first-team All-Big Bend performer last season at quarterback, receiver and defensive back. He holds a 4.4 GPA, scored 22 on his ACT, and has college offers from Yale, Columbia, Harvard, and Wake Forest, among others. Glanton reclassified this summer as a senior because he has all his academics in order to graduate.

Glanton and his team said they tried to resolve the situation by meeting with Belser and asking him to let them play. Also at issue was mandatory workouts at 6:30 a.m. before school, followed by practice after both school and study hall. According to Glanton, players were on campus for over 12 hours.

They asked for a reduction in morning workouts to simply Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday while guaranteeing 100-percent participation. Belser declined on all requests.

snip

Maurice Belser reached out to the Democrat on Monday afternoon after taking the time to gather his thoughts and make sure he wasn't speaking from pure emotion. We will have more on follow-up with Belser about his side of this story. Here's part of what he said:

“In every job, I truly believe coaching is a ministry for me. I can help to change lives,” Belser told the Democrat. “I tell you, the kids that receive it and are open to do it the way I ask, learn to work hard and become disciplined, they have all benefited. They are the ones that give me a chance long enough to teach them the difference between right and wrong. I don’t care about records and that stuff. In my past, I haven’t lit it up. I take jobs many other coaches don’t take. There wasn’t a long line of guys that wanted to work at Taylor County or Lely

School leaders approve more athletic trainers after football player died

The Hillsborough County school board on Tuesday unanimously approved adding year-round athletic trainers at of its high schools after an incoming freshman collapsed and died during football conditioning at Middleton High School in June.

The proposal includes spending $270,000 and contracting three health providers who would together supply 27 athletic trainers for every high school in the county.

Contracted providers include the USF S.M.A.R.T. Institute, Select Physical Therapy and PT Solutions Holdings.

According to one of the three contracts up for board approval, an athletic trainer’s presence would be prioritized according to the risk associated with each sport.

For example, in the fall, football is the sport associated with the greatest risk. After that comes volleyball and cheerleading. Third-tier risk sports for the fall include cross-country, swim/dive and golf.

If a trainer has more than one event at a time, the contract states the athletic director will give the trainer notice ahead of time, and that trainer will have to decide to split time or only attend one event according to risk.

The money for the program will come from the Safety and Risk Management budget. At least one provider would also provide concussion testing.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, MJWalker45 said:

They spread games out over a week. 6 11-man  divisions and 2 8-man divisions play through the week. With artificial turf it's easy to support every division on the same field. Most states have at least 4 divisions.

Umm close enough. It is being classified at 6A (Largest-sized schools [2000 and up]) to 1A (smallest-sized schools [125 and less]). 6A-2A are all 11-man while 1A are all 6-man. No 8-man in Texas....YET (which I really think that all 2A schools should switch to 8-man football.)

All of these are played in 32 districts each level with 4 top teams per district going to 2 separate playoffs (Division I for 2 larger schools and Division II for smaller schools out of 4 top teams). So there are 12 playoffs total in all levels. Also we do have private school affiliated associations as well as their own playoffs (11 man and 6 man respectively). Hope it helps.... you can always go to Dave Campbell's Texas Football site to check them out.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

1 minute ago, JMtexan09 said:

Umm close enough. It is being classified at 6A (Largest-sized schools [2000 and up]) to 1A (smallest-sized schools [125 and less]). 6A-2A are all 11-man while 1A are all 6-man. No 8-man in Texas....YET (which I really think that all 2A schools should switch to 8-man football.)

All of these are played in 32 districts each level with 4 top teams per district going to 2 separate playoffs (Division I for 2 larger schools and Division II for smaller schools out of 4 top teams). So there are 12 playoffs total in all levels. Also we do have private school affiliated associations as well as their own playoffs (11 man and 6 man respectively). Hope it helps.... you can always go to Dave Campbell's Texas Football site to check them out.

I don't know why I have 8 man on the brain. Too much Arena League I guess. Hahaha!!!!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't know why I have 8 man on the brain. Too much Arena League I guess. Hahaha!!!!

No problem there, dude. I have nothing against 8 man football. I do really think that 2A schools should be playing 8 man football rather than 11 man.

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Such "a leader of young men"...

The North West Hendricks County school board is explaining its decision to keep a football coach and teacher accused of sexual misconduct with a student.

Tyler Bruce, a teacher and coach at Tri-West High School, remains on administrative leave pending the outcome of criminal and Department of Child Services investigations.

In response to a series of questions from Call 6 Investigates Kara Kenney, the board issued a statement Friday evening to RTV6.

“On July 29, 2019, the NWHSC School Board did not approve our administration’s recommendation to cancel the teaching contract of one of our employees,” read the statement. “The board members voted based on the preponderance of the evidence delivered at the employee’s requested conference with the school board, including administrators, witnesses, and legal representatives.”

Snip

Call 6 Investigates spoke with Stacy and Mark Lewis of North Salem after they filed a tort claim on August 6 which alleges Bruce requested their 17-year old daughter to be his aide during the 2018-2019 school year and asked to exercise together in the weight room at Tri-West High School.

Bruce also asked her daughter to participate in the track team where he coached her, according to Stacy Lewis.

Bruce exchanged inappropriate messages with Stacy's daughter late at night on Snapchat, and touched her under her clothing on several occasions, read the tort claim.

When the teen told Bruce she would not send him any more pictures, Bruce said if she didn't he would say she cheated on a math test, according to the tort claim.

NOTE: Bruce in 13-11 in his two seasons, but is coming off an 8-5 season and won a state title for them in 2004 as a sophomore QB. It was their last championship team.

Superintendent sides with coach after parental outcry over football player discipline

A north Alabama superintendent is standing behind a head football coach after parent complaints about player discipline.

Our investigative team is looking into allegations that Douglas football coach Jamison Wadley directed his team to do physical discipline that led to injuries.

Parents told WHNT News 19 the Douglas High School football team was instructed to do bear crawls, which is a full-body exercise, walking on all fours on Monday morning.

Parents and players told us coaches told the players to perform those bear crawls across asphalt the length of the football field and back.

Marshall County Schools Superintendent Cindy Wigley released the following statement about the incident:

"There's nothing more important than the safety and integrity of our students.  You've heard me say that on more than one occasion.  It's never been more true than today.   I want to address a situation at Douglas High School that occurred yesterday.  Due to rumors and talk, it has gotten out of control. It's my job to help you understand what has happened.   A situation took place early yesterday morning. It involved a coach and some players.   It was brought to my attention and I have addressed the situation.   Unfortunately, since that time, an individual outside our school, specifically a parent, has become involved.  This has threatened the safety of our coach, players and other parents at the school.  I will not tolerate threats, harassment or physical abuse against any of our staff or students. While there were unintended consequences from the coach’s actions, students must also be held accountable for their actions.  Knowing all the facts about what has occurred, I want the community to know that I support our coach, who wants nothing but the best for our student athletes and the school he serves. I have asked sheriff's deputies to help patrol the Douglas High School campus to keep our students, staff and parents safe. I will continue to do so. Please help me do all I can to keep our students in a safe and friendly environment.  Help me protect our students by helping manage rumors and talk that is unhealthy. Thank you."

EDIT: There was an arrest in this story, but it was a student who assaulted a school employee (likely a coach).  They're charging it as a felony.

Superintendent doubles down on the coach and admits they did crawls on asphalt or concrete. 

Marshall County Superintendent Cindy Wigley, issued the following statement:

“It saddens me that we live in time where one parent can walk on a football field, yell and scream at a coach, and then get the attention of the news media in an effort to cover up his own actions.

“On Aug. 19, during first period athletic P.E. (7:40 a.m.) at Douglas High School, a coach had a group of football players do one set of ‘bear crawls’ on a walkway beside the football field. The vast majority of parents have no problem with the coach’s actions and support him 100%.

“However, one parent became upset with the coach. Instead of following proper protocol and privately discussing his concerns with school administration or with the coach, the parent came onto the practice field and confronted the coach in a belligerent manner.

“The parent’s actions caused a significant disruption at practice and he has been banned from campus. Student safety is the upmost concern of the Marshall County School System and, therefore, the parent’s concerns were thoroughly investigated. The investigation revealed that most players had no injuries as a result of the “bear crawls,” but that approximately three students had minor scrapes on their hands.

“It is well known that “bear crawls” are commonly used as conditioning for football players in a number of school systems. One local television station displayed a picture showing an alleged injury to a student’s hand and misrepresented that it resulted from the “bear crawl” when, in fact, the school system’s investigation revealed it was caused, in part, by unrelated events.

“The player is involved in power weight lifting outside of school with his dad. The parents understand the details of what took place and are very supportive of the coach and appreciate him making the boys into respectable young men.

“We are very fortunate to have Coach Wadley at Douglas High School. The Marshall County School System will remain vigilant in protecting student safety, but will also not unfairly cast blame on educators who are trying to do their jobs and better our students.

“The Marshall County School System will not comment on matters involving a juvenile; however, we can say that we are thankful to our local Sheriff’s Department for the job they have done. We trust their investigative team and they have our full support. We have complete confidence in the Marshall County Sheriff’s Department and the juvenile justice system.”

In a weather delay right now, but ESPN2 is currently scheduled to air a game between Mallard Creek (NC) vs Dutch Fork (SC). Anybody familiar with these schools?

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

In a weather delay right now, but ESPN2 is currently scheduled to air a game between Mallard Creek (NC) vs Dutch Fork (SC). Anybody familiar with these schools?

Open two new tabs in your browser and you'll get faster answers.

Meanwhile...

After his Tweet we've already had one MediVac helicopter on a field. 

Here's today's ESPN games.

• St. Frances (MD) vs Miami Central (FL): 12pm on ESPN
  • Deerfield Beach vs Carol City (both from FL): 4pm on ESPNU
  • DeMatha (MD) vs St. John Bosco (CA): 9pm on ESPN2
  • Narbonne vs Buchanan (both from CA): 11pm on ESPNU

I've heard of St. Frances before, but I'm not as familiar with Baltimore area schools as I am DC area schools. With that said DeMatha is the premier (private school) program of the DC area.

58 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Here's today's ESPN games.

• St. Frances (MD) vs Miami Central (FL): 12pm on ESPN
  • Deerfield Beach vs Carol City (both from FL): 4pm on ESPNU
  • DeMatha (MD) vs St. John Bosco (CA): 9pm on ESPN2
  • Narbonne vs Buchanan (both from CA): 11pm on ESPNU

I've heard of St. Frances before, but I'm not as familiar with Baltimore area schools as I am DC area schools. With that said DeMatha is the premier (private school) program of the DC area.

Apparently St. Frances is to the point that the other schools in their league were refusing to play them.

LvZYtbZ.png

On 8/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, dfwabel said:

The money in Texas is bonkers. Meanwhile here in the Florida panhandle, my alma mater might not be playing in their own stadium this season because it's old as hell and they've never really made major renovation to the structure.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20190803/engineers-detail-dangers-at-etheredge-stadium

Mainly because the locals in the area are extremely right leaning so raising taxes to do anything? That's the devil. But they're also the same ones complaining that the school board has let the stadium get so bad.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 hours ago, willmorris said:

Apparently St. Frances is to the point that the other schools in their league were refusing to play them.

Had to Google St. Frances. Looks like they just did what all private school programs do in recruiting elite players. If other private schools with the ability to do just the same can't handle it, tough titty. Those teams get no sympathy from me.

Archived