Sign in to follow this  
4_tattoos

High School Football 2019

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I didn't realize Bellaire St. John closed! Granted I haven't been back to the Ohio Valley in years. In Texas, the oilfield boom has slowed for years but the housing prices haven't, so you'll see people leaving northwest Texas because they can't afford to live in those overpriced homes and apartments. And between Van Horn and El Paso more schools are looking to 6-man since it's cheaper to pay for than 11 man. Especially in communities that seem to be shrinking yearly.

There aren't that many schools and communities between El Paso and Van Horn to begin with though.

13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

It depends on your background. Someone from Texas would find it odd you'd say that. Someone from New York City where hs football isn't even allowed to be attendance at most games would probably completely agree with you. But outside big cities, your high school teams are the closest thing to having a team represent you. 

A Friday night in an area where high school football is a thing is just different. Many big cities, especially east coast, just don't have that draw. Too much to do and most games are probably Friday afternoon or Saturday mornings due to bad neighborhoods around those cities. Moving the games from night are to alleviate those issues. 

Yeah, I live in Northeast Ohio in a city with a population of about 18,000. We are basically "ground zero" for HS football. Within 20 miles of me in any direction are dozens of small towns with teams that are "the closest thing to having a team represent you." I've done season highlight videos for four of those teams (including 7 straight years with one of them and 5 years with another) with all the teams from the area showing up as opponents in those videos. I've been right in the belly of the Ohio High School Football beast. And you know what? In all that time the crowds changed with the players. I never met a "long time" Norwalk Truckers or Edison Chargers fan. Even the people here in the exact type of area you're referring to think it's weird for people to follow a high school team for no other reason than being a fan. 99% of the adults at the games move on when their kids/nephews/nieces/neighbor kid/whatever do. It's as simple as that. I watched it happen for 10 years. People I'd meet and get to know while their kids played would be gone after that kid's senior season. Without fail. 

Sorry, but it is a little weird. Even us Ohioans think so. That being said, y'all do you. If HS football is your thing, more power to you. 

EDIT: Almost forgot this...the vast majority of the people around here see Ohio State as the "team that represents us." Except in Cincinnati. Cincinnati hates Ohio State. You'd have to ask them why. 

I think it's neat to hear about other teams in other states. Plus, as an alumni of my school (Denison-Schleswig, IA), it comes with the territory. That said, I understand why you think it's weird infrared.