High School Football 2019

4_tattoos

Washington and Oregon also ends their seasons this week... to give you an idea of what's going on...

Washington

3A: Kelso is tied with Evergreen and Prairie at 2-1 in league play. The Hilanders have a win over Evergreen and a loss to Prairie... They're in no matter what happens this week with Hudson's Bay. A win and a win by Evergreen could give Kelso the top spot in the league and a home date next weekend with the 4th place team from the South Sound League. A Prairie win alongside a Kelso win gives the Hilanders the #2 seed and a home date with the 4th place team from the Pierce County League. If Kelso loses somehow, then Mountain View (who they beat by 1 last week) comes into play...

2A: Nothing to see here. All three teams stink...

1A: It all comes down to one game for Castle Rock. This week, they take on La Center for a shot at the league title. The Rockets are playoff bound no matter and would be at home next week for the crossover round against either the 3rd place team from the Evergreen League (currently Elma) or the 2nd place team from the same league (currently Hoquiam, a team that routed Castle Rock earlier in the season).

2B: It's not known how the crossover round will work here yet, but there are six slots for this district. I can only assume that there are six games set for next weekend between the top teams in the three divisions.

1B: Naselle is so far ahead of everyone else out here that they'll more then likely get a first round bye and await the winner of a first round game

Oregon 3A: Clatskanie has clinched the Special District 1 West Division title after the win last week over Amity. All they have left is a date with hapless Willamina before the playoff begins. Rainier is also in a good spot despite being in 3rd place. The district awards the final two slots to the highest ranked teams left after the top two in each division (currently those teams are Yamhill-Carlton and Madras in the East Division and Clatskanie and Amity over in the West Division). Rainier would get one of the two remaining bids (The other? The winner of the game between Corbett and Scio would get it).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland's playoff brackets are set. Just as I suspected the playoff expansion from 16 to 32 teams this season has led to several teams with losing records getting in. My alma mater included, who's statistically the worst playoff team in 2A. Here are the links to the brackets.

4A
https://mpssaa.countysports.zone/?bracket=1281

3A
https://mpssaa.countysports.zone/?bracket=1280

2A
https://mpssaa.countysports.zone/?bracket=1279

1A
https://mpssaa.countysports.zone/?bracket=1278

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Here's where everything stands now...

Washington

3A: Kelso won their game against Hudson's Bay, but Prairie won as well. This means the Hilanders earned the #2 seed from the GSHL and will be hosting Spanaway Lake in a winner-to-State game on Friday at home.

1A: Castle Rock lost a hard fought game to La Center, but it does come with a nice reward: A home date with a Hoquiam team that routed them all the way bay in Week 1.

2B: The picture is a little jumbled, but from what I can tell these are the games for the crossover round that I know of:

-Winlock at Napavine

-Illwaco at Kalama

-Raymond vs. Toledo (at Kelso)

-Rainier (Wash.) at Pe Ell/Willapa Valley

-Adna vs. Ocosta

1B: Naselle is so good that they earned a first round bye.

Oregon

In 3A, both Rainier and Clatskanie made it to the playoffs... but the Columbians got the higher seed. Go figure. Anyhow, Rainier, the 5th seed, opens with Madras (who they've already beaten at home to the tune of 44-0) and with a win would face either Brookings-Harbor or dreaded division rival Amity.

The Tigers from Clatskanie earned the 6th seed and hosts Medford St. Mary's in the first round. A win here sends them to face the winner of the game between Scio and Burns.

Iowa

After the first round, we head to the quarterfinals where if you win, you go to the dome. Three teams remain: Greene County in 2A, South Central Calhoun in 1A and Audubon in 8 Man.

Hadn't expected much this year, tbh.  Against all odds, however, my Case Eagles made the playoffs...even though they finished 4-5.  Which was the same record we had the last time we made it...all the way back in 1997.  Sadly but predictably, the experience was one and done, with a loss to Kenosha Indian Trail.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

4 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Hadn't expected much this year, tbh.  Against all odds, however, my Case Eagles made the playoffs...even though they finished 4-5.  Which was the same record we had the last time we made it...all the way back in 1997.  Sadly but predictably, the experience was one and done, with a loss to Kenosha Indian Trail.

Your home state have a deep playoff field too? I never paid much attention to sub 500 teams getting into the playoffs until this season.

4 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Your home state have a deep playoff field too? I never paid much attention to sub 500 teams getting into the playoffs until this season.

my HS made the playoffs one year, only winning two games. Just happened to be section games, which was the only thing that mattered.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

my HS made the playoffs one year, only winning two games. Just happened to be section games, which was the only thing that mattered.

Oddly enough a 1A team that beat my alma mater made the playoffs with a 2-7 record smh

15 hours ago, DiePerske said:

That's why you'll see teams like Hondo, in Texas Division III, make the playoffs. They'll play teams outside of district that are a higher qualification, then whip everyone in their district. They're usually 4-6 or 5-5, but first or second in the district. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, 4_tattoos said:

7 divisions, divided by school size, not counting the 8-man schools, each has a 32 team field.  I can't recall ever hearing of a WI school that made the playoffs with fewer than 4 wins, though being 5-4 or better is obviously preferred.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In my old stomping grounds of Northern California (Bay Area to be specific) you have De La Salle, who haven't lost a game to a Northern California opponent since 1991. That's 300+ games. They always win their section playoffs. It's pretty brutal. 

Welp, my alma mater had their heads cut clean off in the first round by the number one seed in their region 40-0.

Really hope Maryland goes back to 16 playoff teams next season, because seeing all the sub 500 teams get crushed in the first round is a joke.

EDIT: There actually ended up being a few upsets in the first round. Including a 1 seed getting beat by an 8 seed that went 2-7 during the season.

Here's where everything stands now after this last week of play...

Washington

Only three teams survived the crossover round: Kelso, Toledo and Kalama (with the Chinooks not even playing last week after Illwaco said "Nope. We want no part of you").

Kalama and Toledo are in the 2B field while Kelso is in the 3A field. Kalama earned the #3 seed and opens with #14 Rainier (Wash.) in the first round. The winner here takes on the winner of the game between 11 seed Friday Harbor and 6 seed Lake Roosevelt. Toledo earned the #10 seed and hits the road to open the tournament at #7 Colfax. The winner here moves on to play the winner of the game between the 15 seed Mabton and the 2 seed Napavine.

Kelso, on the other hand, got the really short stick and was given the #16 seed and a first round date with top seed and traditional powerhouse O'Dea. Should the Hilanders do the impossible, they would get the winner of the game between Peninsula and Mt. Spokane.

Oregon

Both Rainier and Clatskanie took care of business in the first round as the Columbians rolled past Madras for the second time this season and the Tigers took care of Medford St. Mary's. Now comes the challenge for these two: Hitting the road. Rainier takes on division rival Amity in the quarterfinals while Clatskanie heads east to play Burns. Both games are on Saturday.

Iowa

Only one team is left now: Audubon. The Wheelers, the top seed in the 8 Man bracket, survived a strong effort from CAM to get to the Dome. They'll play on Thursday against Remsen St. Mary's.

Eh, it's a double post, but whatever...

Washington

3A: Kelso went up to Seattle and got promptly spanked by O'Dea 35-0. The season is over...

2B: Both Kalama and Toledo took care of business this weekend. The Chinooks stormed past Rainier (Wash,) at home while Toledo went over the mountains and walloped Colfax. Next up for both teams is the quarterfinal round. Kalama is at home to play Lake Roosevelt while Toledo takes on regional rival Napavine.

1B: Naselle showed no rust in their 66-20 rout of Crescent. They're on the main field where they'll be a top 2 seed based on the fact that they've been highly ranked all season long. (Note: They ARE the #2 seed and will take on Quilcene up in Aberdeen on Friday in the quarterfinal round)

Oregon

Rainier got their revenge from the loss to Amity earlier in the season by smashing the Warriors 50-22. They'll hit the road once again as they take on top seed Hidden Valley (BTW, they're a 4A school normally, but fell to 3A for football) in Cottage Grove next Saturday.

Clatskanie lost by one point to Burns and their season ends.

Iowa

Audubon won against Remsen St. Mary's in the semifinals and now has a chance to win the state title against Don Bosco on Thursday.

Wilde Lake High School went 2-7 during the regular season, and they have advanced to the Maryland 3A Quarterfinals. On one hand I'm salty about the fact that they even made the playoffs (due to the expanded playoffs which began this season) & I'm salty because they were worse than my alma mater that went 3-6 then got smoked in the first round. On the other hand I'm intrigued by how far this team may go.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/howard/sports/cng-ho-sp-cc-sp-football-playoffs-man-valley-wilde-lake-11152019-20191116-yg5gdzdrjrhkrkpdesc3lskj3q-story.html

• 2 weeks later...

Maryland's semifinal matchups are set

1A: Cambridge-SD vs Dunbar / Fort Hill vs Catoctin
2A: New Town vs Potomac / Middletown vs Elkton
3A: Damascus vs Huntingtown / Mervo vs Linganore
4A: Northwest vs Quince Orchard / Old Mill vs Henry A. Wise

Two teams are left in Washington...

Kalama routed Lake Roosevelt at home 43-0 last Saturday to make the semifinals where Napavine awaits. The Tigers ripped Toledo apart 55-0 to basically 'host' the semifinal on Saturday in Centraila. Over in 1B, Naselle hung on against Quilcene 50-46 to reach the semifinals where they'll take on ACH for a shot at the state title.

In Oregon, Rainier saw it's season end at the hands of Hidden Valley and their passing game in a 44-22 loss.

Out in Iowa, Audubon fell just short of a state title as they lost to Don Bosco.

Maryland's state championship games are set.

https://www.mpssaa.org/state-championships/football/state-semifinals-finals/?fbclid=IwAR3Q_J_32ZOsKDRpndU3r2CjayLrU71cv3atyioI1ClbQqFil8GuLbHVc9Q

4A: Henry A. Wise vs Northwest
3A: Damascus vs Linganore
2A: Potomac vs Middletown
1A: Catoctin vs Dunbar

Kalama and Naselle got the job done today. The Chinooks survived against regional rival Napavine 44-42 in overtime to move on to the 2B championship game next weekend against Onalaska, yet another regional foe... unlike the Tigers, the Chinooks and Loggers haven't met this season.

Naselle started out on fire out in Tumwater against Almira-Coulee-Hartline, and even though the Comets held a 2 point lead at halftime... they rolled in the 2nd half to win the game 70-44. Now comes the biggest challenge this season: Top ranked juggernaut Odessa. The Tigers routed Entiat (who are also the Tigers) 84-20 and they have NOT been challenged at all this season.

National No. 1 Mater Dei led national No. 2 St. John Bosco by 23 points, 28-5, in the first half of the CIF-Southern Section Division 1 title game on Saturday. Then Clemson-committed QB DJ Uigalelei and Bosco scored 39 unanswered points and pulled out the win over Alabama-committed QB Bryce Young and Mater Dei, 39-34, to win the CIF-SS title. Reigning national champion Mater Dei beat Bosco in regular season Trinity League play, and this was the fourth straight Division 1 championship game they've played against each other, with Mater Dei winning the previous two.

Bosco will play De La Salle in the California State Open Division Championship on Dec. 14 at 8 p.m. at Cerritos College.

In other CIF-SS Divisions, I covered San Juan Hills defeating Loyola in Division 4 for the Stallions first CIF-SS football title. For any of you state of Washington folk in the thread, Joey Hobert, a Washington State commit and the son of former Washington QB Billy Joe Hobert, scored on a TD run, returned a fumble for TD and blocked an extra point. Go ahead and give that story in the link a look if you'd like. There's plenty of other links to features I did during the week leading up to the game.

Here's the schedule for this week's CIF Regional Bowl Games with State championships next week:

DIVISION 1–AA                                                                                          

North: Central, Fresno (13-0) at Oak Ridge (11-2) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Sierra Canyon (13-1) at Helix (11-1) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 1–A

North: San Joaquin Memorial (12-1) at Serra, San Mateo (12-1) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at Noon

South: Oceanside (11-3) vs. Corona del Mar (14-0) at Newport Harbor HS – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 2–AA

North: Elk Grove (10-4) at Clayton Valley Charter (8-5) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Aquinas (12-2) at San Juan Hills (11-3) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 2–A

North: Manteca (11-2) at McClymonds (10-0) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

South: Pacifica, Oxnard (13-1) at Birmingham (8-4) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 3–AA

North: Los Gatos (12-1) at Cardinal Newman (12-1) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Temecula Valley (12-2) at El Camino, Oceanside (8-6) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 3–A

North: Rancho Cotate (10-3) at Sierra, Manteca (11-3) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

South: Sunny Hills (12-2) at Bakersfield Christian (10-3) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–AA

North: Sutter (12-1) at Ripon (12-1) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Selma (11-2) vs. Highland, Palmdale (11-3) at Antelope Valley College – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 4–A

North: Escalon (12-1) at Pleasant Valley (7-5) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

South: La Jolla (9-4) vs. Marina, Huntington Beach (12-2) at Westminster HS – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–AA

North: Del Norte, Crescent City (12-2) at Kings Academy (10-3) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Serra, San Diego (11-2) at El Monte (14-0) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 5–A

North: Milpitas (7-6) at Caruthers (13-1) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

South: Reseda (10-3) vs. Esperanza (10-4) at Yorba Linda HS – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–AA

North: St. Bernard’s, Eureka (10-3) vs. East Nicolaus (12-1) at River Valley HS – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Canoga Park (12-2) at South, Torrance (10-4) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 6–A

North: Salesian, Richmond (11-2) at Santa Cruz (10-3) – Saturday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.

South: Bishop Union (12-2) – Bye

DIVISION 7–AA

North: Lincoln, San Francisco (10-1) vs. Mariposa (8-4) at Golden Valley HS – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

South: Gardena (10-4) at Francis Parker (8-5) – Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

OHIO State Championships

Thursday, Dec. 5 - 7 p.m. Division II: Massillon Washington (14-0) vs. Cincinnati La Salle (12-2)

Friday, Dec. 6 - 10 a.m. Division VI: Anna (13-1) vs. New Middletown Springfield (14-0)
Friday, Dec. 6 - 3 p.m. Division III: Mansfield Senior (13-1) vs. Trotwood-Madison (11-3)
Friday, Dec. 6 - 8 p.m. Division I: Cincinnati Elder (12-2) vs. Pickerington Central (13-1)

Saturday, Dec. 7 - 10 a.m. Division VII: Lucas (12-2) vs. Maria Stein Marion Local (12-2)
Saturday, Dec. 7 - 3 p.m. Division IV: Newark Licking Valley (14-0) vs. Clyde (10-4)
Saturday, Dec. 7 - 8 p.m. Division V: Ironton (13-1) vs. Kirtland (14-0)

I'm surprised they didn't move the Division II game since Massillon could probably fill even more seats than they get for the McKinley games but it's still a night game and Hall of Fame Stadium is less than 10 minutes away from campus.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived