Saint Patrick (High School - Chicago, IL) Baseball Concept

mschaefer14

I graduated and played baseball at Saint Patrick HS back in 2000. The baseball team always took a backseat to the football and basketball teams so jerseys were usually pretty standard stock from our suppliers. No custom fonts or logos. So, I figured I’d sketch out what I’d want to wear if I were still playing. 

The SP monogram and Celtic Shamrock sleeve logo are custom designed by me. I wanted to go with a classic look because the school has been around for over 150 years. 

Would love to hear feedback on what you like and what I should work on. Thanks!

spacer.png

11 hours ago, mschaefer14 said:

I graduated and played baseball at Saint Patrick HS back in 2000. The baseball team always took a backseat to the football and basketball teams so jerseys were usually pretty standard stock from our suppliers. No custom fonts or logos. So, I figured I’d sketch out what I’d want to wear if I were still playing. 

The SP monogram and Celtic Shamrock sleeve logo are custom designed by me. I wanted to go with a classic look because the school has been around for over 150 years. 

Would love to hear feedback on what you like and what I should work on. Thanks!

spacer.png

Haha, I live just down the street from St. Pat's but attended Holy Cross for one year before it went co-ed. I guess that means we're supposed to hate each other. ;) Small world!

That shamrock sleeve logo is just fantastic, as is the rest of the design!

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Haha, I live just down the street from St. Pat's but attended Holy Cross for one year before it went co-ed. I guess that means we're supposed to hate each other. ;) Small world!

That shamrock sleeve logo is just fantastic, as is the rest of the design!

Small world indeed. I almost went to Cross myself. Was 50/50 until the final minute. Thank you for the feedback!

Here's my two cents.

The monogram and the shamrock/ball logo you designed are awesome. The overall aesthetic of the uniform is awesome as well.

Now my criticism. You say you're going for a classic look. If you're going to do that, I'd change a couple of things.

-     You need a white jersey to go with the green and the gray.

-     The number font feels too modern to be "classic." I'd go with either a font like the Red Sox or Yankees font. Or, since the school is in Chicago, you might be able to get away with using the font of the Chicago Bears.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

-     The number font feels too modern to be "classic." I'd go with either a font like the Red Sox or Yankees font. Or, since the school is in Chicago, you might be able to get away with using the font of the Chicago Bears.

Agreed on both of these points. A more vintage style number font might be that way to go. Also, maybe think about brightening up the shade of gold just a *touch.*

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Here's my two cents.

The monogram and the shamrock/ball logo you designed are awesome. The overall aesthetic of the uniform is awesome as well.

Now my criticism. You say you're going for a classic look. If you're going to do that, I'd change a couple of things.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to work on a white jersey soon and love the idea a classic number font. The school currently uses Nike Ithaca for all sports so I kept it for consistency’s sake. The Red Sox number font was part of my inspiration for the monogram so I will give that a shot. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Agreed on both of these points. A more vintage style number font might be that way to go. Also, maybe think about brightening up the shade of gold just a *touch.*

Colors are the official school colors. I tried a white border around the gold for contrast but I didn’t love the look. I will post it when I get a chance this week. Thanks for the feedback. 

10 hours ago, mschaefer14 said:

Colors are the official school colors. I tried a white border around the gold for contrast but I didn’t love the look. I will post it when I get a chance this week. Thanks for the feedback. 

Fair enough. I guess I only ever knew their color was green and just assumed the gold was your idea. However, I might think about maybe flipping the colors of the monogram and jersey numbers on the road set, as the gold sort of bleeds into the gray. 

My college roommate went to St. Pats, I’m from the Southside and went to another Chicago Catholic League school so I love this.

agreed with the points above, the numbers on the jersey are way to modern if you’re trying to invoke a classic look. A white jersey with a script instead of the monogram might look good. 

spacer.png

Thanks again to everyone that provided C&C. I tried to apply all of the feedback and suggestions and love what came of it. The Red Sox number font fits SO well with the monogram/style - it might be my favorite part of the concept outside of the Shamrock Baseball logo. Would love to hear thoughts on which home (whites) and road (greys) are preferred. 

spacer.png

Definitely an upgrade.  I would stick to the green numbers with gold outlines.  I would also experiment with more of an athletic gold.  I know the metallic gold might be a school color, but there's not enough contrast with that and the gray.  See the current Brewers roads for a real life example of that problem.  

Also, since this is Chicago and Irish, is there any chance we could see this classic font?

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Definitely an upgrade.  I would stick to the green numbers with gold outlines.  I would also experiment with more of an athletic gold.  I know the metallic gold might be a school color, but there's not enough contrast with that and the gray.  See the current Brewers roads for a real life example of that problem.  

Also, since this is Chicago and Irish, is there any chance we could see this classic font?

spacer.png

I never liked that font for uni numbers but agree that it could totally work here. Any idea what it's called? I'll probably stick with the colors because I used to hate how we flipped back and forth between vegas/athletic gold depending on the sport. Want to keep the brand consistent.

28 minutes ago, mschaefer14 said:

I never liked that font for uni numbers but agree that it could totally work here. Any idea what it's called? I'll probably stick with the colors because I used to hate how we flipped back and forth between vegas/athletic gold depending on the sport. Want to keep the brand consistent.

I don’t think this is the exact same font, but it’s close:

https://www.dafont.com/mlb-tuscan.font

How about trying the same striping style on the green alt that you used on the road? Placket piping with triple sleeve piping?

And I agree with @NicDB, I think if you’re going to go with green numbers & monogram + gold trim on the road set, you need to make the gray either darker or lighter for better contrast.

This is really coming together nicely!

Not sure i dig that particular font, but pretty much any legible western or circus-style font would work here.  Take a look at some of the fonts Notre Dame has used for sports other than football.  They all try to evoke a "Celtic" vibe.

Green with gold outlines for the white and gray jerseys look much better than the reverse. The Boston-style number font matches the monogram well; personally, I'd keep it.

You could try @coco1997's suggestion of darkening the gray, but it looks fine as-is to me.

The only thing that might be able to be improved IMO is the Shamrocks wordmark font. It's really really close, but I'm not sure if such large slab-serifs feel quite right.

Other than that, this looks amazing! The monogram is clean and the shamrock/baseball logo is beautiful!

Great work!

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

Green with gold outlines for the white and gray jerseys look much better than the reverse. The Boston-style number font matches the monogram well; personally, I'd keep it.

You could try @coco1997's suggestion of darkening the gray, but it looks fine as-is to me.

The only thing that might be able to be improved IMO is the Shamrocks wordmark font. It's really really close, but I'm not sure if such large slab-serifs feel quite right.

Other than that, this looks amazing! The monogram is clean and the shamrock/baseball logo is beautiful!

Great work!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm working on a version of the wordmark that is a bit more spread out but I need to mess around with the scaling dimensions a bit. I'll post the update next weekend. 

Archived