Black and White Uniforms Across MLB For Players’ Weekend 2019

tigerraven

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Literally the only thing I like about these is the new “White Sox” script. I wonder if this is the team signaling a new alternate that uses that script in the near future.

Been wondering that too- they've been using this re-worked version of the 80s/1942 script here and there all year on bits of signage and merch and I do really like it.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So the weekend meant to emphasize wild bright colors is now making the uniforms void of actual colors?

To be fair, the weekend has been more precisely billed as emphasizing "individual expression" of the players rather than bright colors per se. Although I think that this design decision is a major misfire and whoever approved it should be canned, I understand what they are striving for on a purely conceptual level.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, that. @Carolingian Steamroller had a far better way to accomplish that goal than the black/white trash. 

i have no idea what you’re talking about. i dont care what anyone else thinks of it. is it so hard to believe that i might just actually like the uniforms? that its an genuinely interesting concept? or is that just not allowed?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't buy that because years ago, the 4th of July hats were white. with red or blue bills.

So you'll have one or two pops of color and thats it?

What about guys that don't wear a lot of team-colored items?  like no arm sleeves or team-colored gloves or shoes?  They'll just be all black/white.

right, this is even better. with everything being “hidden” theres no team identifier or anything that stands out. so you’re left with a the player himself; his face. this seems like the best way to celebrate the individual players themselves, by removing team color and, really, the logos too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

8 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i have no idea what you’re talking about. i dont care what anyone else thinks of it. is it so hard to believe that i might just actually like the uniforms? that its an genuinely interesting concept? or is that just not allowed?

"Interesting."

Sometimes, in the pursuit of "interesting," you can outsmart yourself. You, and the people who came up with this idea, are doing that here. 

"Is that not allowed?" Sheesh. Of course it is. Get down off the cross, we need the wood. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So the weekend meant to emphasize wild bright colors is now making the uniforms void of actual colors? Didn't think they could make the players weekend concept any worse but by literally going the opposite direction of the concept they did get worse. If you're gonna do something silly at least do it right. This feels like selling cheeseburgers at a vegetarian restaurant. 

And yeah I'm not buying that this will make the accessories pop more when the uniform is still covering the majority of the players body.

Also they could have gone black and white yet still go for legibility. These look like they really don't want you to see the cap logos. At least the jerseys have trim around the wordmarks and numbers. 

Will the black teams have black pants too?

Good question on the pants.  It would be even more stupid if they didn't have black pants.

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That's the official statement.  The concern is batters not seeing the ball with the pitcher wearing a white hat.

I understand the argument.  But when they've done it in the past without issues, I don't get it.  The Nats wore these in spring training, wouldn't they have the same issue?.

IQUTLORWAQI6TA3V4POPNNUFLA.jpg[

3 hours ago, Bmac said:

I don't necessarily dislike the black/white concept (although it is a drastic change from the previous Player's Weekend theme), but from a design standpoint these are terrible. They're completely illegible, which is a huge problem during gameplay. Stark black on white and vice-versa would be so much better. Why the hell would anyone buy this merchandise?

I think if they wanted to do black and white, they should have a "black and white" weekend as if it were before color tv's or something.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

right, this is even better. with everything being “hidden” theres no team identifier or anything that stands out. so you’re left with a the player himself; his face. this seems like the best way to celebrate the individual players themselves, by removing team color and, really, the logos too

At that point, why bother putting the team's names/numbers on at all?  Have nothing but the player's name on the uniform.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank whoever is responsible for this year’s promotion. As a hat addict, I have no worry that my wallet will be safe this August.

KISSwall09.jpg

3 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

To be fair, the weekend has been more precisely billed as emphasizing "individual expression" of the players rather than bright colors per se. Although I think that this design decision is a major misfire and whoever approved it should be canned, I understand what they are striving for on a purely conceptual level.

I believe if they truly wanted this approach to be about individual expression of the players with this black and white thing, the black and white uniforms should be the starting point, not THE expression with the excuse of "players gloves will be their unique thing."

My version of the black/white approach would be this:

The black uniforms should be all black, but the logos white; the white uniforms would be all white, with black outlines for the logos.   THEN every player would be allowed to color in their team's logos/numbers/their nicknames with whatever colors they want.  Essentially make it a coloring book for the players where they can color them as desired.  That way it's truly their expression literally on the jersey.  Bryce harper wants a purple "Phillies" script?  Go for it.  Trout wants rainbow ANGEL letters?  Done.  Judge wants yellow NY logos?  OK!  Verlander wants a Christmas color Astros jersey, awesome!

You get the players to design their own unique part of the jersey and use the black/white jerseys as a blank canvas for the players, so it's "THEM"/their personality put on display.  And not just some absurd jerseys of "nothing".

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I believe if they truly wanted this approach to be about individual expression of the players with this black and white starting point, the black uniforms should be all black, but the logos white; the white uniforms would be all white, with black outlines for the logos.   THEN every player would be allowed to color in their team's logos/numbers/their nicknames with whatever colors they want.  Essentially make it a coloring book for the players where they can color them as desired.  That way it's truly their expression literally on the jersey.  Bryce harper wants a purple "Phillies" script?  Go for it.  Trout wants rainbow ANGEL letters?  Done.  Judge wants yellow NY logos?  OK!  Verlander wants a Christmas color Astros jersey, awesome!

You get the players to design their own unique part of the jersey, so it's "THEM"/their personality put on display.  And not just some absurd jerseys of "nothing".

I personally think the "individual expression" stuff is gimmicky garbage, so I'm more or less trying to understand the rationale behind MLB wanting to unleash these monstrosities upon the public. What you are suggesting would certainly be a more tangible example of players being able to "express" themselves, but I imagine it would be a logistical nightmare to make 750+ individually customized jerseys. I also think that level of customization, with radically different colors of wordmarks on jerseys of players on the same team, would be more of a visual nightmare/eyesore than what we can expect from this year's iteration. I think that players on the same team at least need some basic elements of the uniform to be standardized and consistent across all players on the roster--that's why the "expression" is limited to accessories.

If MLB is so committed to this concept, a better idea than what you suggest would be to have each team delegate a handful of players to assist in pitching design ideas for the uniforms. In a sense the uniforms would be sort of designed by the players (to a degree). I would not be surprised if they attempt something like this in the future.

23 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I understand the argument.  But when they've done it in the past without issues, I don't get it.  The Nats wore these in spring training, wouldn't they have the same issue?.

IQUTLORWAQI6TA3V4POPNNUFLA.jpg[

A white paneled cap really isn't the same thing as a 100% monochromatic cap, although I do hate this idea that the pitcher will be wearing something different from the rest of the team.

9 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I personally think the "individual expression" stuff is gimmicky garbage, so I'm more or less trying to understand the rationale behind MLB wanting to unleash these monstrosities upon the public. What you are suggesting would certainly be a more tangible example of players being able to "express" themselves, but I imagine it would be a logistical nightmare to make 750+ individually customized jerseys. I also think that level of customization, with radically different colors of wordmarks on jerseys of players on the same team, would be more of a visual nightmare/eyesore than what we can expect from this year's iteration. I think that players on the same team at least need some basic elements of the uniform to be standardized and consistent across all players on the roster--that's why the "expression" is limited to accessories.

If MLB is so committed to this concept, a better idea than what you suggest would be to have each team delegate a handful of players to assist in pitching design ideas for the uniforms. In a sense the uniforms would be sort of designed by the players (to a degree). I would not be surprised if they attempt something like this in the future.

Oh, I know it'd be a nightmare.  So then maybe you just have the players able to pick from a set number of colors for just their nickname on the back, while the front script/logo remains the same for all players.

Your idea about design ideas from the players is interesting.  But at that point, you're basically back to what we had the last few years, no?  (I don't know who designed the previous ones).

---

I've thought the players weekend thing has been strange, but it was MLB trying to be fun and show the personalities of the players with fun colors and nicknames.  As has been pointed out, this is literally the complete opposite, and is a bad take on the theme.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Oh, I know it'd be a nightmare.  So then maybe you just have the players able to pick from a set number of colors for just their nickname on the back, while the front script/logo remains the same for all players.

Your idea about design ideas from the players is interesting.  But at that point, you're basically back to what we had the last few years, no?  (I don't know who designed the previous ones).

---

I've thought the players weekend thing has been strange, but it was MLB trying to be fun and show the personalities of the players with fun colors and nicknames.  As has been pointed out, this is literally the complete opposite, and is a bad take on the theme.

Well, in the previous two years teams all basically wore the same exact template more or less. I'm talking about a scenario where players would have greater input so each team's design would be distinct from the rest of the league. It would still probably be costlier and more laborious for Nike to pull something like that off, but probably easier than what you are suggesting.

I also think it would look absolutely terrible if there were variability of colors on NOB and wordmarks among players on the same team. The basic elements of the uniform (eg. colors, fonts of NOB, numbers, and wordmarks) should be consistent.

23 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Interesting point, though I might argue that if the goal is to highlight the player and downplay the team, then shouldn't the name and/or number on the back be more visible?  Either black on the white jersey or even a team color (which could work great on the white jersey, would be hit-or-miss on the black).

That said, this is just so drab. White hats with white logos?  Downplaying the team? Mission accomplished.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I had some personal business in St. Louis this morning so I made a stop at Busch Stadium. They had the hats out but not the jerseys. The STL was not embroidered, but rather a rubbery material. Not as bad as the pro light hats where it was stuck on, but not good either. They had both white and black available. I think it’s evident from the pictures, but the hats are the same mesh material as the current BP caps.

As a hat guy, I could not find anything redeeming about them. 

17 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Interesting point, though I might argue that if the goal is to highlight the player and downplay the team, then shouldn't the name and/or number on the back be more visible?  Either black on the white jersey or even a team color (which could work great on the white jersey, would be hit-or-miss on the black).

That said, this is just so drab. White hats with white logos?  Downplaying the team? Mission accomplished.

different ways to execute the same idea. i see it as being left with no identifiers other than a face. also this monochrome uniform is meant to be shocking, different, and more of a fashion statement. its the boldest thing they could have done with the idea. i think any inclusion of color or contrast defeats the purpose of the idea. celebrate Player Appreciation by making it about them, the person. not the team or a number, or even their name. you're left with jus the person.

on top of that, i think the all black hats especially will be big sellers. i don't know about all white though; but they're great for customizing (painting)  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 minute ago, BrandMooreArt said:

different ways to execute the same idea. i see it as being left with no identifiers other than a face. also this monochrome uniform is meant to be shocking, different, and more of a fashion statement. its the boldest thing they could have done with the idea. i think any inclusion of color or contrast defeats the purpose of the idea. celebrate Player Appreciation by making it about them, the person. not the team or a number, or even their name. you're left with jus the person.

on top of that, i think the all black hats especially will be big sellers. i don't know about all white though; but they're great for customizing (painting)  

Except you cant see their faces from the stands either.

Archived