Black and White Uniforms Across MLB For Players’ Weekend 2019

tigerraven

"Inspired by players’ style choices when they are away from the field, the fashionable monochromatic uniforms allow for each custom accessory design to stand out more than ever before."

i dont buy that, but i do like the concept of all black and all white. losing the team colors puts focus on the players. i dig it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

"Inspired by players’ style choices when they are away from the field, the fashionable monochromatic uniforms allow for each custom accessory design to stand out more than ever before."

i dont buy that, but i do like the concept of all black and all white. losing the team colors puts focus on the players. i dig it

I haven't seen somebody eating up visual feces like this since the last time I saw Salò.

tumblr_nzsdfqUh1b1qzrmlwo1_500.gif

You don't want to know what follows this, because I'm sure if it violates forum rules. Granted, the sight of people eating prop poop is better than watching "Player's Weekend," because at least Salò is only one movie.

I guess there will not be a player's weekend next year.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

They must be going for the trash bag aesthetic this year.  The all white are the indoor/kitchen trash bags and the all black ones are the heavy duty outdoor bags.  There's no other way to explain this garbage.

If one team had gone mono white or mono black, cool. If a few others had gone mono blue, red, gold, etc., that’d been outstanding. 

If you want to go with the player-centric angle maybe covert the team script on the front to hometown of the individual? I know I’d strongly consider ponying up some dough for a José Abreu jersey with “Cienfuegos” in 87-90 Sox script. 

As if baseball didn't have a boring label, they are now doing a weekend of every team in black or white, where you can't see the team names, player numbers, or even these stupid nicknames. It's as if baseball is embarrassed by the sport and hopes to hide all players and teams and make them invisible.

I don't normally mind leage wide uniform stuff but this is really stupid. Yeah, sure they would be great fashion jerseys and hats, I see people wearing all white and black hats but in a game though? Get the :censored: out of here.

Not gonna lie though, the White Sox jersey is cool.

bSLCtu2.png

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

oh no, someone likes something that 99% of the rest of the board despises, because of some silly philosophical reason that speaks to their contrarianism!

Yeah, that. @Carolingian Steamroller had a far better way to accomplish that goal than the black/white trash. 

While they do seem boring and uninspired, I'll wait to judge until seeing them on the field because of the "custom accessory design standing out" quote. It might be exactly what they're looking for. Bright, unique, colorful, personalized gloves, cleats, undershirts, sleeves, etc. will stand out against these for sure. Whether they had to go full white vs full black remains to be seen. I think it might work.

18 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

"Pitchers on teams wearing white will wear black caps to ensure umpires and batters have clear visibility of each pitch."

So the rest of the team wears a white hat but the pitcher wears a black hat?  This just gets worse.

I don't buy that because years ago, the 4th of July hats were white. with red or blue bills.

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

So you'll have one or two pops of color and thats it?

What about guys that don't wear a lot of team-colored items?  like no arm sleeves or team-colored gloves or shoes?  They'll just be all black/white.

So the weekend meant to emphasize wild bright colors is now making the uniforms void of actual colors? Didn't think they could make the players weekend concept any worse but by literally going the opposite direction of the concept they did get worse. If you're gonna do something silly at least do it right. This feels like selling cheeseburgers at a vegetarian restaurant. 

And yeah I'm not buying that this will make the accessories pop more when the uniform is still covering the majority of the players body.

Also they could have gone black and white yet still go for legibility. These look like they really don't want you to see the cap logos. At least the jerseys have trim around the wordmarks and numbers. 

Will the black teams have black pants too?

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So the weekend meant to emphasize wild bright colors is now making the uniforms void of actual colors? Didn't think they could make the players weekend concept any worse but by literally going the opposite direction of the concept they did get worse. If you're gonna do something silly at least do it right. This feels like selling cheeseburgers at a vegetarian restaurant. 

And yeah I'm not buying that this will make the accessories pop more when the uniform is still covering the majority of the players body.

Also they could have gone black and white yet still go for legibility. These look like they really don't want you to see the cap logos. At least the jerseys have trim around the wordmarks and numbers. 

Will the black teams have black pants too?

I hope the accessories bs will blow up in their faceand bring back color on the jerseys and i think that they will be black pants on back

40 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Yeah they’re pretty bad, especially the black ones. But if you gave me a all white jersey with my favorite team, on clearance, that could be really fun to tie die.

Be patient. All this inventory is going on clearance one day 

I don't necessarily dislike the black/white concept (although it is a drastic change from the previous Player's Weekend theme), but from a design standpoint these are terrible. They're completely illegible, which is a huge problem during gameplay. Stark black on white and vice-versa would be so much better. Why the hell would anyone buy this merchandise?

Archived