Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (Defunct as of 1/06/21)

Xibalba

Last team for the ASL East.  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you want to include in the ASL East?

• Atlanta Phoenix
    • Charlotte Royals
    • Panamerica S.C (Miami)
    • Jacksonville Pirates

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/14/2020 at 10:00 PM

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

@Xibalba I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't resist experimenting with your Santos badge.

SDFC-Santos.png

I think you might be best off putting a SD monogram in the "bell tower," then moving the sash up and letting the stripes run longer. 

Think this is the right direction but it feels off when looking at the sash and the bottom of the D. Maybe play around with the monogram to see if it and the sash being parallel would look better

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I redid the Santos logo a little bit. The shape is now less awkward and maybe a bit more reminiscent of more conventional crest design but it retains it's distinctive top shape. 

The banner is now a bit arched, but I decided against using an angle. Added a small monogram to the crest. I only thing I need to figure out is the lettering as most of the things I tried look out of place.  

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Xibalba said:

I redid the Santos logo a little bit. The shape is now less awkward and maybe a bit more reminiscent of more conventional crest design but it retains it's distinctive top shape. 

The banner is now a bit arched, but I decided against using an angle. Added a small monogram to the crest. I only thing I need to figure out is the lettering as most of the things I tried look out of place.  

spacer.png

Mind sending that to the Padres Because this is amazing

Milwaukee Eagles S.C

About the Club

The roots of the club go back as far as 1929, when a group of German immigrants founded FC Bayern Milwaukee. The club played it's first match later that year against a team from nearby Sheboygan. The Bavarians continued to play in local leagues throughout the 30's and 40's and even became a dominant club in Wisconsin Soccer. 1956, represented a big turning point however, around this time the ASL Midwestern division became more or less stable and it was looking to bolster it's numbers. Milwaukee was a prime candidate and the league looked at more established clubs to join, in order to avoid the chaos of it's early days. They contacted the board of the club, most of whom where keen on joining the league. But not everyone was on board with the planned move. As some felt that the club could be out of their depth in the (Semi) Proffesional League. This led to a split in the club. One part continued play on the amateur level as Milwaukee Bavarians S.C, while the other half joined the ASL as the Milwaukee Eagles S.C. 

spacer.png

spacer.png 

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (22/10 Milwaukee Eagles Added)
  • 1 month later...

@Sascha B. - Per the Concept Forum Guidelines:

On 4/23/2018 at 2:08 PM, LMU said:

Concept threads may only be bumped by original posters who are posting revisions or adding new concepts to a series.

• OPs may not bump inactive threads in an effort to obtain more comments.
  • Commentors may not bump inactive threads to ask questions about the status of the concept/series (eg. "Is this dead?")
  • Commentors may not bump inactive threads in an attempt to get the OP to post more artwork.

Please take the time to review our code of conduct which is pinned at the top of the forum. Thank you. 

• 4 months later...

How cool is this!

I'm from Holland and for my Football Manager game I was changing the US Leagues. Some of the new franchise clubs or other MLS clubs I have replaced with teams from the NASL. Like NYCF with Cosmos and LAFC with Aztecs and so on. But when I was looking for a second team in New York, to replace the energy drink franchise I came on the American Soccer League and found this forum. Great designs guys. Maybe I will use some of your logo's. I will read everything back now!

Maybe I will get back to you with some questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, It's been a while.

For past couple of months I've been taking a break from this project. Working on each team takes quite some time between making logo's, kits and writing backstories. However I will attempt to see this project out, since I have some more teams up my sleeve

I've decided to scale back the scope of the project and settled on having 14 teams in each conference. So that takes us to about 28 teams in total. Unfortunately this means I have to scrap teams that where already in the East.This means that the Philadelhia Nationals, New York Americans and Kearny Scots will no longer feature in the league. 

The entries will be further apart as to keep things fun and manageable.

Here's a quick overview of teams in the east:

1. Baltimore Canton
  2. Boston Celtics
  3. Brookhattan F.C
  4. Brooklyn Giants
  5. Chicago Union
  6. Detroit Corinthians
  7. Milwaukee Eagles
  8. Philadelphia Field Club
  9. Pittsburgh Steel S.C
  10. St.Louis Raiders
  11. Tampa Bay Pelicans
  12. Washington Senators

13.Georgia/Carolinas based team

14.Ohio/Indiana based team     

The first two teams who will have an entry are the Tampa Bay Pelicans and Washington Senators

Here's a small teaser:

p6d4IKno_o.jpg

Tampa Bay Pelicans S.C

About the Club

The Pelicans where founded in 1959 as the Saint Petersburg Kickers, The first few years the club played amateur football with their first championship coming in 1967 and by 1989 they had become a force in Florida Soccer as they had won their division 11 times, their most prestigious title came that same year as they won US open cup by beating Brookhattan 2-1 in the finals, after taking down Chicago Union. This cuprun impressed the ASL board, who where already considering adding teams from the south in the league, as league expansion was one of the prerequisites for hosting the 1994 World Cup. So it was no surprise they received an invitation to join the league the following season. In 1997, the team changed their name to the Tampa Bay Pelicans, and the team was officially split from the St.Petersburg Kickers, who continued play in the amateur leagues. 

spacer.png   

spacer.png

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (27/05 Tampa Bay Pelicans Added)

Looks like Phoenix Rising but better! I really like the logo’s overall shape and the colors are classic. Pelicans is a great name, but I feel like the bird is giving more Heron vibes with the beak. I would make the bottom part a bit thicker and rounded out to make it more like a Pelican. Maybe thicken up the neck towards the middle as well because the head looks like it’s a bit large to be balancing on such a thin neck. Kind of surprised with the lack of white in either kit, but both are stunning. I think I’d buy one of the home ones.

TB looks great! I'll echo what THS said about the bird looking a little more like a heron than a pelican. This entire thread is great, I've enjoyed all of your designs so far. If you want suggestions for the two teams left, how about Charlotte Greenbacks FC (for the money that was minted in the Charlotte mint as well as the massive amount of banking that goes on in the city) and Cleveland Rangers FC? Or, if you wanted to do a little parallelism and set up a neat derby you could do Racing Club Indy and Charlotte Stock FC (to reference stock cars, like NASCAR, as well as stock trading). Keep up the good work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Author's note: First of all, I want to thank everyone for the continued support! I've also added a poll to the thread where you can choose the last team that will join the East. I think they're all good options but I can't choose. Since I decided I wanted an other southern based team in the league I have narrowed it down to 4 options: Atlanta Phoenix, Charlotte Royals, Panamerica S.C and Fort Lauderdale Pirates. 

Washington Senators S.C

About the Club

The first professional soccer club in DC was created in 1963, as an amateur team known as Washington Britannica by a Scottish expat and other soccer enthusiasts in the capitol. In 1967, the team went professional and joined the American Soccer League, the year after it joined the ASL, the club changed it's name to the Washington Darts. After winning two consecutive titles, the Darts joined the ambitions NASL, which sought to establish itself as the top division of American Soccer. This move proved to be a bad one however, as the original DC team moved a total of 4! times, ending up as the Minnesota Strikers during the last season of the NASL in 1984. Meanwhile the Washington Cavaliers joined the ASL in 1974 but where not achieving the success of their predecessors. As the NASL fell apart, the ASL took it's spot as the top league and attracted more resources. With the Cavaliers drawing the attention of investors, the team became the Washington Senators in 1994, setting itself up for a decade in which it dominated the league during the 90's, winning three titles and three U.S Open cup's.  

spacer.png 

spacer.png 

Archived