Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (Defunct as of 1/06/21)

Xibalba

Last team for the ASL East.  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you want to include in the ASL East?

• Atlanta Phoenix
    • Charlotte Royals
    • Panamerica S.C (Miami)
    • Jacksonville Pirates

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/14/2020 at 10:00 PM

On 8/12/2019 at 1:06 AM, NicDB said:

Loving everything about this so far. Following in hopes of seeing a Milwaukee club.

Milwaukee will definitely be featured in the Midwest expansion!

On 8/12/2019 at 5:09 AM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Great variety for multiple teams out of the same area! I’m excited for the project, any way you could add markers on the map to show where teams will be located?

Thanks! The map I included with the league presentation seems a bit too small, I'm currently looking to include a map of NY and Philly to show where the teams are located. since it's hard to fit them all onto one map.  

On 8/13/2019 at 1:46 AM, mcrosby said:

The H in the Brookhattan logo is a bit off. The super angular crossbar doesn't quite fit the rest of the monogram. I'd like to see it a with a bit more of that Tuscan curve to it. I'd also like to see it flipped so that it's pointing down, that will almost look like an M, which works pretty well for a Brooklyn-Manhattan mashup. The vertical portions of the H might look better with the same weight as the B. 

Everything else looks spectacular. That Americans crest would be a good fauxback for New England Revolution. 

I'm considering a rehash of the monogram, I've made this one with a font I've modified so it would look too weird.  

On 8/14/2019 at 12:43 AM, Hālian said:

I suggest using Imgbox; it's worked fantastically for me.

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I've updated all my image links. Hopefully there will be no more broken images.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philadelphia Field Club

About the Club

The Philadelphia Field Club was founded in 1924, as First German S.C by members of the Philadelphia German Rifle club. They joined the ASL in 1933 for it’s inaugural season, as The Philadelphia German-Americans, a nickname that eventually became the club’s official name. They won the League title in their second season, and won the U.S Open cup the year after. Between 1935 and 1953, the club won the ASL crown another 5 times, surpassing the Kearny Scots as record title holder at the time. In 1953, the club was bought by trucking magnate Tony Uhrik, and it became known as Uhrik Truckers S.C.  Between 1953 and 1963, the club added an additional 3 titles, bringing their tally up to 11 ASL Championships. During this period however, they were being overshadowed by the Nats which where having a golden age of their own. To accommodate the merger with the NPSL in 1968, the league changed their rules on ownership, and how clubs operated. In an effort to make the sport more appealing to a wider audience, one of these new rules was that clubs could not be named after companies. To comply to this rule, the club changed its name to The Philadelphia Field Club. A name that was used in the area as far back as 1922. However the club still has considerable connections to it’s German roots, as it plays in White and Black, a nod to the colours of the German National Team. The blackletter P in the crest also pays homage to this fact. As of 2015, the club has 15 league titles and is one of America’s most successful soccer club.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 8/11/2019 at 9:50 AM, Xibalba said:

So far the only site I get to work is Tinypic, which unfortunately is shutting down so that can be why the images can disappear sometimes. I've try upto 5 alternatives including Imgur and so far nothing seems to work, since it won't accept my link. Does anybody know a solution to this? 

Your stuff is showing up now, but I use Imgur, it gives me multiple options when I want to share my stuff here pretty easily.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (15/08 Philadelphia F.C & Nationals Added)

Boston Celtics S.C

About the Club

The club was founded in 1933, as an amateur team, following the collapse of the Boston Soccer Club. It was one of the founding members of the second American Soccer League, that same year, and it began play in the New England Division. It would take a while but by the early 40’s the team was a regular contender for the division title, however a strong Providence side held them from early succes. However with financial insecurity and WWII just around the corner, the division became dormant for it’s last two season. During this period the team resumed play in local amateur competition. When it was announced that the division would fold after the 1943-44 season, Club officials had enough. Discontent about how things where run within the division, they jumped ship and joined the Metropolitan Division for the following season. While the club had a loyal fanbase and a stable financial situation, the fans had to wait until the 1964-65 season for the ASL title, while the club has finished runners up a few times since, they never could seem to the heights of that season, as it remains the last title to date.    

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (19/08 Boston Celtics Added)
2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Very nice concept.

So basically there was a Celtic team before Walter Brown used the name for his basketball team?

I've found out about this team when I was digging through Wikipedia. According tot the article ( which was in Italian to my surprise) the team was around as early as 1933/34. I don't know when the basketball team was formed, but it could have been that they soccer team was indeed first.

https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics_Soccer_Club

I would buy both Boston kits in a second. THEY. ARE. CLASS.

I sort of have my own deal like this I've been working on for years, a what-if soccer/football never went out of popularity after the early 1900's and continued to grow. The history as it is is completely fascinating, let alone imagining what-if it had never really gone away as it did. Point being I love this series, I literally scrawl through the board every day hoping to see a new update. 

AWESOME. WORK.

spacer.png

I'm assuming the Boston Celtics SC kit is supposed to closely mirror the Glasgow Celtic home kit. I love the away kit you designed - unique, classy, clean, and takes similar principles as the home kit but applied very differently.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Author's note: In honor of Saint Louis joining MLS, here is the city's team from the ASL-verse.

Saint Louis Raiders S.C

About the Club

The Saint Louis Raiders where formed in 1947, when a meeting was held with the city's soccer teams and they entered the Midwest Division of the ASL that same year. Initially the team struggled to overtake the Chicago and Pittsburgh teams in the league, but that would change when they established a system that allowed players from the city's many top amateur sides to join they ranks, offering many promising players a professional contract. It is during this time that the Raiders earned their reputation for top class home grown players. During the 1950's this method payed off as the Raiders began their domination of the Midwestern division, however heartbreak always ensued as they always lost the play-off ties with teams from the east. They did however win their first US Open Cup in 1957. With the division title secured in the 59-60 season, The Raiders faced off with the Eastern Division champs Philadelphia F.C, and beat them 5-3 over two legs. The domination over the Midwest would abruptly end however. When the ASL merged with the NPSL, the league was realigned into a Eastern and Western conference. The club was first drafted in the Western conference, to balance out the team roster. While the club did achieve some sporting success during this time,especially the 65-66 league title, the club's management and fans complained about the clubs situation, citing large travel cost, empty stadiums and a lower level of play as a burden on the club. At the beginning of the 1974-75 season, with Denver Dynamo joining the league, the Raiders where moved to the east, Reigniting the rivalry with the teams from Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (21/08 Saint Louis Raiders Added

Nothing but love for that logo, history, and the kits - but especially the home kit. Clean and beautiful. Maybe you should see if the actual MLS team would have any interest in purchasing the identity 😂 (I'm only half joking, though...)

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Pittsburgh Steel S.C

About the Club

The story of the club begins with one man, Peter Strasser. A local Jeweler, who had a keen interest in the sport and saw it as an ideal way to get into the booming sports market. He first bought Morgan F.C, in 1939 and renamed them Morgan Strasser F.C. During this period, and with his financial backing. The team won league titles and domestic cups. When the ASL and Weiszmann announced their plans for a new Midwest Division of the league, Peter Strasser along with team coach Tony Casciola, encouraged by the team's success in the amateur leagues and the Open Cup decided to enter the division. For the 1946/47 season they entered a new team called the Pittsburgh Strassers, made up of the best Morgan Strasser and Beadling players. While the first season of the division was chaotic, the team was one of the few left standing, with Chicago and Detroit teams folding due to financial mismanagement. The following season, the Strassers where crowned champions of the Midwestern division for the first time, and continued to dominate the division until the mid 1950's. Like many of the new teams, they did lag behind the Eastern teams, always falling to them in the Play-Off finals. It is here that the fierce rivalry with both Philadelphia teams was born. In 1968, to comply with the new rules concerning sponsorship names, the team gained it's current name, Pittsburgh Steel S.C

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Xibalba changed the title to Soccer in a football world: The American Soccer League (25/08 Pittsburgh Steel Added)
21 hours ago, NicDB said:

Uniforms are great, but I think the badge would look a lot better with everything straight across rather than that arc you have it on now. It's making for some dizzying perspective issues.

That's a good point you're making, wasn't to shure about it either, especially the font. Here's a comparison of the two. The one on the right is also a bit different that the one I posted, since I didn't use envelop distort on the main font. 

spacer.png 

Archived