FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019

UnclearInitial

Nike released their World Cup uniforms, and they are all on the same template, except for the US and China, which are on a different template with a hilariously bad Nikespeak explanation. The US one might be their worst ever, even worse than 2014. With a red/white/blue color scheme it’s probably not a good idea to use a design close to the Wizards, so of course they just ditched the red

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-and-jordan-brand-basketball-federation-uniforms-china-2019

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Money talks and I guess FIBA is making a lot from having one supplier, but I really wished that FIBA and the IIHF allowed the countries to make their own deals.  Even though those would probably be using the same manufacturer templates, but at least there might be different templates.

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Nike released their World Cup uniforms, and they are all on the same template, except for the US and China, which are on a different template with a hilariously bad Nikespeak explanation. The US one might be their worst ever, even worse than 2014. With a red/white/blue color scheme it’s probably not a good idea to use a design close to the Wizards, so of course they just ditched the red

https://news.nike.com/news/nike-and-jordan-brand-basketball-federation-uniforms-china-2019

Man, Nike sucks. 

14 hours ago, M4One said:

Money talks and I guess FIBA is making a lot from having one supplier, but I really wished that FIBA and the IIHF allowed the countries to make their own deals.  Even though those would probably be using the same manufacturer templates, but at least there might be different templates.

You know when Nike says, federation, it only refers to the federations they are contracted with, right?

Turkey has an agreement with Spanish-owned Kelme, as seen from a pregame photo from Monday

New Zealand wears PEAK, as does Nigeria as seen from their game versus Canada...on Wednesday.

Greece is with GSA

9 hours ago, dfwabel said:

You know when Nike says, federation, it only refers to the federations they are contracted with, right?

Turkey has an agreement with Spanish-owned Kelme, as seen from a pregame photo from Monday

New Zealand wears PEAK, as does Nigeria as seen from their game versus Canada...on Wednesday.

Greece is with GSA

My mistake.  I just automatically assumed that Nike was doing all of the countries in the tournament, like in the case in hockey.  Still wished that teams had more different looks, regardless of which manufacturer.

Italy only change collar compare to their Eurobasket 2017 unis. Australia are using NBA Aeroswift v1 tempalte, which is weird, because peak is their supplier not nike.

What about Nike. I don't understand them. Teams recieved new uniforms in previous year for last part of Qualifers (Canada wore jerseys from them v Nigeria) and now they changing them again and will change again in next year for Olympics. Before you say "Money", I'd say that they sell this jerseys mostly locally not wordwide (except USA). BTW this is only official release note, because teams are using that style since last week of July or even earlier like Canada (U19 WC in June) or Japan (3x3 WC in June).

Poland:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Czech Republic:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Germany:

spacer.pngspacer.png

4r2eer.png

It irritates me to no end that USA Basketball doesn't just make the Dream Team unis their permanent look.  Same with USA Hockey and the 1980 uniforms. 

You can make evolutionary tweaks if need be, but those are the quintessential "USA" look in both sports.  No matter what, they should always look like the same team who wore those uniforms.

Just now, dfwabel said:

They are not.  16 of the tournament's 32 nations have a Nike/Jordan affiliation.

OK then, Nike being absolutely lazy and still using Nike-speak to describe the host nation's uniforms sucks. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

It irritates me to no end that USA Basketball doesn't just make the Dream Team unis their permanent look.  Same with USA Hockey and the 1980 uniforms. 

You can make evolutionary tweaks if need be, but those are the quintessential "USA" look in both sports.  No matter what, they should always look like the same team who wore those uniforms.

I disagree. The 2004 Reebok jersey as it replicated the 1984-88 uniform from Japanese sportswear company Descente looked better.  

2004:

RcZCaJb.jpg

Notice how Jordan's shorts have both Converse and Descente logos.

ABytYMr.jpg

They moved to Champion and that uniform with the 1989 Bobby Cremins' FIBA Americas Team

TBH, since 1984, the USA Womens unis have looked better

As a supporter of Gilas Pilipinas, our national team's new uniforms needs a tinge of red, in comparison with their previous uniforms:

jordan-clarkson-vs-china.jpg

fhm_9714.jpg

andray%20blatche%20fiba%20asia%202015.jp

Also, Nike REALLY needs to distinguish Gilas from the Chinese Taipei national team.

^

You can also catch a glimpse of the Jordan uniforms with the blue Russia ones (which is weird, Russia should always have red as the main color uniform) 

Here’s the full US uniform. United and States down the shorts on opposite sides, red NOBs (that are almost invisible on the blue). These are complete trash. The women’s team has a pretty nice look though

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 8/10/2019 at 8:24 AM, NicDB said:

Those unis are good, but they're almost a little too plain for me. 

I feel like there's a lot you can do with that two tone Dream Team wordmark even without doing a direct reprint of 1992.

I don’t think they’re allowed to use that wordmark in the Olympics as no federation logos are allowed. They could alternate wordmarks for World Cups and Olympics but I understand wanting a more consistent brand. If they had to choose a wordmark, the Redeem Team one was great, even if the uniforms were pretty plain

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 8/10/2019 at 1:26 AM, dfwabel said:

Italy-Spalding

Ugh, I despise those uniforms with the Spalding lookalike wordmark and the “this is a basketball uniform” sublimated basketball. The 2015 ones, though kind of plain with only slight silver trim, were much nicer

spacer.png

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived