New Lotus logo

31 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

To avoid having to click the link:

history-of-lotus-logo.jpg

I think they simplified it too much.  The green seems too dark, and I think the text should've been white.

And the serifs and the variable line weights on the letters should have been retained.

(By the way, I had no awareness of a car company with that name.  Seeing the thread title, I was wondering whether the Lotus software brand, which had been acquired and then discontinued by IBM, was being restarted.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And the serifs and the variable line weights on the letters should have been retained.

(By the way, I had no awareness of a car company with that name.  Seeing the thread title, I was wondering whether the Lotus software brand, which had been acquired and then discontinued by IBM, was being restarted.)

Really? Lotus is pretty well known. If you have a base knowledge of exotic cars you know what lotus is.

32 minutes ago, dont care said:

Really? Lotus is pretty well known. If you have a base knowledge of exotic cars you know what lotus is.

Well, if you don't play Forza or Gran Turismo or one of those, I can completely understand how Lotus can fall under the radar. They're not on the level of Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche as far as brand recognition.

That said, as far as the logo goes, I would have just flattened out the colors of the 2010 logo, which is to say getting rid of the gradients. I don't like that sans serif font they are using now. It looks to "of the late 2010s" to stand the test of time.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Disagree.  If you're "into" cars at all, you should have come across Lotuseses at some point.  I'm completely not into cars now, but when I was a kid in late 80s/early 90s, I used to get exotic car mags and I had posters of the Lambo Countach, Ferrari Testarossa, and Lotus Esprit in my room.

64820096-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=308  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, sayahh said:
22 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Which explains why I had never heard of [Lotus]. 

How about 007?

I'm afraid that I am not a big movie fan, and so have never seen a Bond film. 

Of course I am very much aware of the James Bond character as an entity in the culture. Going just from the clips I have seen on television and from talk-show appearances of the various actors, I have always considered Roger Moore to be the quintessential embodiment of Bond. Also, I think that Idris Elba would be ideal for the role, and that the current guy is not nearly handsome or suave enough to do it justice.

Anyway, I am a television person, not a movie person; I'm into Maxwell Smart, not James Bond. So, if the Bond character mentioned Lotus (which he does not do in the clip embedded above), then I would not have known about it. 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm afraid that I am not a big movie fan, and so have never seen a Bond film. 

Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on anything.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

6 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on anything.

I'm a Bond fan, but I can see where your coming from with it. You kind of have to start at a younger age to really get into it. All of the relevant cultural references can be found throughout many shows and movies since the '60s, such as the non-toilet humor parts of the Austin Powers movies (which is the first one - aside from a few scenes - and about 15 minutes combined from the other two).

The serifs would improve it (distinctiveness), but I still like that they made it a tad cleaner. 

On 8/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Disagree.  If you're "into" cars at all, you should have come across Lotuseses at some point.  I'm completely not into cars now, but when I was a kid in late 80s/early 90s, I used to get exotic car mags and I had posters of the Lambo Countach, Ferrari Testarossa, and Lotus Esprit in my room.

64820096-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=308  

The Esprit, while a good design, isn't my image of Lotus. The 1960s Elan is more my style:

1966-Lotus-Elan-940x636.jpg 3072624f6451cae2f9c71020e33c8dbc.jpg

They're hilariously unreliable, but they're so good-looking.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

On 8/15/2019 at 3:54 PM, dont care said:

On 8/15/2019 at 9:24 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm with these last two.  Not because of the exotic car point from these two, which is solid, it's because of Formula 1 racing and their sister company.

Jim Clark, Mario F'n Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi all won titles driving for Team Lotus!  Granted they didn't normally build their own engines ($hit, their production cars didn't), they were a team for decades and the name was used later multiple times until 2012. 

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I'm with these last two.  Not because of the exotic car point from these two, which is solid, it's because of Formula 1 racing and their sister company.

Jim Clark, Mario F'n Andretti and Emerson Fittipaldi all won titles driving for Team Lotus!  Granted they didn't normally build their own engines ($hit, their production cars didn't), they were a team for decades and the name was used later multiple times until 2012. 

Please realise that someone who doesn't follow a given sport would have no idea who's with what team. 

Furthermore, while I know the names of Andretti and Fittipaldi, I've not heard of Jim Clark. 

Look, there are people who know exactly one thing about hockey: the name Wayne Gretzky. They know no other player; and they know none of the rules. They certainly have no awareness of any entity called the Edmonton Oilers. This is how I am with cars.

And it only later occurred to me that the Bond clip was posted not because he mentioned Lotus, but because he presumably was driving one — as though I'm supposed to be able to recognise that! Egad, man!

I do not know one make of car from another. Literally all I know about cars is that they are those things which are trying to kill me while I am out navigating the streets on my bike, and which are inexplicably allowed to be stored on public property.

I just don't do cars, in any way; and as a sports fan I am not the slightest bit attracted to any form of auto racing.

So perhaps you now grasp that I truly had no awareness of the name Lotus as anything other than the name of a software company until this thread appeared.

Now that that's all cleared up, let me get back on topic by reiterating my comment about the change in the logo: the serifs and the variable line weights should have been retained.

So it's a return to the 1960's era logo with updated colors and font.

I do like the fact that they've decided to update Colin Chapman's logo to a sans serif and not curving the Lotus also helps.

That green though is a bit too dark. Or maybe the yellow is a bit too bright? If that green is supposed to be British Racing Green, it'll probably look better if its metallic. I would brighten up the green a little bit and make the yellow a golden yellow.

Archived