SportsLogos.Net News

Buffalo Sabres Alt/ 2020 Royal Blue Discussion

4 hours ago, JQK said:

The Lady Liberty jerseys were just a mess, and the logo wasn't much better.
Much like the pooh-bear, that belongs in the late 90's and no where near 2019...

Well man, there IS always room for that improvement. But if you go on the website, click on the logo, you’ll see that a good part of the rangers fandom wants it.

37 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Well man, there IS always room for that improvement. But if you go on the website, click on the logo, you’ll see that a good part of the rangers fandom wants it.

What website?

How many Rangers fans?
What's the source on the data you're using for your claim?

"I go to one Rangers fan site and a few people there want it" isn't indicative of the larger Rangers fanbase.

2 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Well the Rags have a third this year, and I doubt they bring back the heritage jersey after having used it for 8 straight years. Plus, with how popular the Lady Liberty  jersey is amongst Rangers fans, I can't see them not bringing it back as an adidas sooner rather then later. Teams like Anaheim and Arizona prove that 90's/early 2000's looks have the potential to make big bucks, so I can't imagine more teams won't jump on that trend as soon as they can and start bringing in alternate jerseys that represent those eras (NYR, Vancouver, LA, Buffalo and Washington being some of the more prominent examples off the top of my head.)

I mean we are hitting the "90s are the fresh nostalgia" period.

My problem with people who cheerlead 90s/2000s identities is that they seem a bit oblivious to the irony of it all. I can only speak for myself, but when I first started posting here way back in 2003? You broadly had two camps of people. People who insisted stuff like the Lady Liberty Rangers sweaters and the Buffalo Goathead were amazing and those who preferred traditional looks. And the more modern crowd, back then, would insist that the traditional fans were all just old people who couldn't let the 70s go. Never mind that I was 16 in 2003 and tended to skew towards the traditional stuff even back then. Still, the "you only like it because you're old" is still an insult the modern uniform fans like to throw out today, so some stuff never changes.

Anyway, my point is that some stuff does change. The stuff you're going on about here was steeped in 90s/early 2000s design trends. Back then? That was modern. Trendy. That was in vogue. Since then, however, we've seen a shift back towards more classic aesthetics. Less outlines, shading, detail, crazy colour schemes....less of the stuff that was trendy in the 90s and early 2000s. And now it's 2019. The Lady Liberty sweater debuted more than twenty years ago. I hate to say it, but the people who won't stop pushing 90s designs are the ones who can't seem to let go of the past at this point 🤷‍♂️ Seriously. People who fawned over the Lady Liberty sweater back in 2003 were calling people who liked uniforms from 1980 old-timers out of touch. And yet we're as far from the Lady Liberty sweaters today as we were from a uniform from 1980 in 2003.

Of course I'm not saying that you're at fault for stuff other people said, but I'm hoping to illustrate a point none the less. IF the Rangers opt not to use their heritage alternates they've been using for a few seasons now it'll be because they figure they've sold as many as possible and it's time for a new alternate. IF they replace it with the Lady Liberty sweater it'll because 90s nostalgia is in, as the people who grew up with those identities are now at that sweet spot where disposable income meets nostalgia from youth. It was the 80s generation before, the 70s before that, and so on.
So if it's the 90s' turn to get a slate of throwbacks that's cool, but you have to understand that's what it is. A nostalgic trend. It's only coming because the last one ran its course, and so will this one.
The 90s aesthetic- weird colours that disregarded team history, goofy cartoon logos of snarling animals, heavy detail, shading, and outlines, overly-designed number fonts- none of this stuff is new anymore. None of it is modern. Congratulations 90s uniform fans. You're among the fans of older looks who "can't let go of the past" ;)

40 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

That's an outright lie. There's no good part of the Rangers' fandom.

The Lady Liberty sweaters only existed because Mike Richter had an awesome mask. 

Which also worked as a mask for international play, because he didn't need to change it up for Team USA. What a versatile mask :P 

21 hours ago, JQK said:

The Lady Liberty jerseys were just a mess, and the logo wasn't much better.

In what way(s) was the jersey a mess? 

18 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Well the Rags have a third this year, and I doubt they bring back the heritage jersey after having used it for 8 straight years. 

The Rangers wore a heritage jersey for 8 straight years?

And rumor has it the Rangers' third jersey was scrapped. 

Yeah, I just find the “BUT MUH NINDIES!!” crowd annoying. They’re obsessed with these vintage designs, but without realizing that they’re part of a nostalgia cycle and not always the best option. 

Granted, the Avs did take their ‘90s design and largely improve it, silencing that once-divisive CCSLC debate.

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

My problem with people who cheerlead 90s/2000s identities is that they seem a bit oblivious to the irony of it all. I can only speak for myself, but when I first started posting here way back in 2003? You broadly had two camps of people. People who insisted stuff like the Lady Liberty Rangers sweaters and the Buffalo Goathead were amazing and those who preferred traditional looks. And the more modern crowd, back then, would insist that the traditional fans were all just old people who couldn't let the 70s go. Never mind that I was 16 in 2003 and tended to skew towards the traditional stuff even back then. Still, the "you only like it because you're old" is still an insult the modern uniform fans like to throw out today, so some stuff never changes.

I think part of it is the aversion so many fans have to experimenting with a team's identity due to :censored: like the Burger King and Pooh Bear. Certain looks (Lady Liberty, Goathead, maybe the Robopen) could definitely still work as thirds that are only worn occasionally to bring a punch of that look without going full-on into that trend, while others (BK, Pooh, Wild Wing) are objectively awful designs that we don't need to see in active circulation ever again.

The stuff you're going on about here was steeped in 90s/early 2000s design trends. Back then? That was modern. Trendy. That was in vogue. Since then, however, we've seen a shift back towards more classic aesthetics. Less outlines, shading, detail, crazy colour schemes....less of the stuff that was trendy in the 90s and early 2000s. And now it's 2019. The Lady Liberty sweater debuted more than twenty years ago. I hate to say it, but the people who won't stop pushing 90s designs are the ones who can't seem to let go of the past at this point 🤷‍♂️ Seriously. People who fawned over the Lady Liberty sweater back in 2003 were calling people who liked uniforms from 1980 old-timers out of touch. And yet we're as far from the Lady Liberty sweaters today as we were from a uniform from 1980 in 2003.

I think that's a problem with fandom in general; you always get weirdly tribal divides where one group is right and the other is wrong. I'd be fine if many of the uglier 90's looks got left in the dust where they belong; I just don't think teams are going to be adverse to squeezing more money out of their fanbase by using 90's/early 2000's throwbacks that haven't been seen on the ice in a while.

Of course I'm not saying that you're at fault for stuff other people said, but I'm hoping to illustrate a point none the less. IF the Rangers opt not to use their heritage alternates they've been using for a few seasons now it'll be because they figure they've sold as many as possible and it's time for a new alternate. IF they replace it with the Lady Liberty sweater it'll because 90s nostalgia is in, as the people who grew up with those identities are now at that sweet spot where disposable income meets nostalgia from youth. It was the 80s generation before, the 70s before that, and so on.
So if it's the 90s' turn to get a slate of throwbacks that's cool, but you have to understand that's what it is. A nostalgic trend. It's only coming because the last one ran its course, and so will this one.

That's generally my thought process; late 90's-early 2000's nostalgia is the hot new thing recently, so it'd make sense for teams to start throwing back to those eras in ways that they can (the Rags can't reuse their primaries from that era since, well, they're the same as they've used for eons, so using the Lady Liberty jersey makes sense).

The 90s aesthetic- weird colours that disregarded team history, goofy cartoon logos of snarling animals, heavy detail, shading, and outlines, overly-designed number fonts- none of this stuff is new anymore. None of it is modern. Congratulations 90s uniform fans. You're among the fans of older looks who "can't let go of the past" ;)

To be fair, that's a problem with hockey fans in a lot of aspects. There's people who still want the 90's way of violent hits and goons to be the standard for NHL hockey over high-speed games with exciting action. 😛

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Granted, the Avs did take their ‘90s design and largely improve it, silencing that once-divisive CCSLC debate.

That's true, but they had insisted on their ridiculous paint by numbers Edge template for far longer than they had to before that. Anything else was going to look amazing in comparison :P 

Buffalo returning to royal blue is great news! Now, someone let the Brewers in MLB know its ok and they can do it too.

With that said, just some general comments on some of the messages in this thread:

--I am old and very much lean traditional, but I don't mind modern. A good design is a good design.

--I liked the Rangers Lady Liberty sweaters when they were out. 

--Has anyone heard what the Red Wings 3rd will look like?

--The gold just pops on this anniversary Buffalo jersey. It looks amazing.

5 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

To be fair, that's a problem with hockey fans in a lot of aspects. There's people who still want the 90's way of violent hits and goons to be the standard for NHL hockey over high-speed games with exciting action. 😛

At the risk of going too far afield, I think we're learning the hard way in hockey, as we did in baseball, that doing things the "smart" way quickly becomes too much science, not enough art, and not very pleasant to watch. While ceaseless 3TO ball with peace-accord summits between every pitch may be a smart approach, you are very stupid for watching it. So it will be with super-short shifts consisting of nothing but north-south routes and bad-angle shots. Goons are not the answer and haven't been an answer for 15 years, but some kind of walking back may be.

21 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, you just blindly hate anything and everything from that era.  That's why when a total of one team (Arizona) brings a 90's throwback to their main set (one-offs and anniversary jerseys do not count), you immediately declare were in the "90's are fresh nostalgia" era.  That is so far from the truth.

When at least five teams add 90's throwbacks to their main sets and more than one team bases their home and roads off a 90's design, we can declare we're in the "90's are trendy again" period.

13 minutes ago, Morgo said:

No, you just blindly hate anything and everything from that era. 

I don't have the patience to deal with this back and forth with you again. You wanna make wild accusations and declare things in absolutes? Go for it. I'll sit it out. 

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

That's an outright lie. There's no good part of the Rangers' fandom

Okay that’s an outright lie. Sure we made a few bad decisions recently  , but we DID make a Stanley Cup in the last decade, meanwhile you haven’t made it out of the conference finals

2 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

A single comments section is hardly a sign that most Rangers fans want something. 

4 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Okay that’s an outright lie. Sure we made a few bad decisions recently  , but we DID make a Stanley Cup in the last decade, meanwhile you haven’t made it out of the conference finals

admiral's a Blackhawks fan. 

20 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't have the patience to deal with this back and forth with you again. You wanna make wild accusations and declare things in absolutes? Go for it. I'll sit it out. 

Translation:  I don't have any facts to refute that only one direct 90's throwback led to me making the blanket statement that anyone who appreciates anything from that era is only following a trend so I'll pretend to take the high road.

Just now, Morgo said:

Translation:  I don't have any facts to refute that only one direct 90's throwback led to me making the blanket statement that anyone who appreciates anything from that era is only following a trend so I'll pretend to take the high road.

You really want a fight, don't you? Ok. 

Look at the NBA. 90s throwbacks are all the rage. If the NHL isn't gearing to jump on that bandwagon now they will be soon.