New York State License Plate Vote

Cosmic

This is only happening because the governor wants to enforce his ego, by making a bridge named after his dad a prominent and iconic symbol of New York.

There is no need at all to replace the current blue and gold. It's arguably one of the most distinguishable and recognizable license plates in the United States.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first car I remember my parents having as a child had the old yellow (orange) plates with blue lettering.  To me those were classic.  I grew up with the Liberty plates which were good too.  The current yellow (orange) and blue tags look like they were approved by a blind guy...oh wait...they were.  If they took the blue band off the top, had a solid yellow plate with all blue lettering there'd be no reason to change.

But again, Andy want's to put the Tappan Zee (I'll never call it the Mario just like I won't call the Triborough the RFK, or the 59th Street Bridge the Ed Koch) on the tag because they named it after his daddy.  It is after all the New York way.

Based on some of the news stories I’ve seen/heard about it, I think plate readers are a big part of the change. It’s probably not a coincidence that all the plates are navy numbers on a very light background (ironically, the bridge plate we all fear is worst at this) and the change is happening around the time that the entire Thruway is going cashless. I have forgiven the navy/gold plates for killing the blue/white ones, but I do think they can be a little tough to read. Whichever design we get, though, can we get plates that don’t have the design shrivel up and fall off, though? I’ve never noticed another state/province have this problem, but it’s been common on the last two generations of NY plates.

39 minutes ago, Meshmaster101 said:

as someone from WA, i think that number 4 is the best one. number 3 is lame. what bridge even is that rofl?

As a native New Yorker, even I have to agree that number 3 is my least favorite out of all the recently redesigned license plates. The bridge looks nothing like an actual New York bridge, let alone a New York City bridge (which are the most notable bridges in the state like the George Washington Bridge, or the Brooklyn Bridge, or even the Verazzano Bridge). It looks like it came from San Francisco.

14 hours ago, DellFan Productions said:

As a native New Yorker, even I have to agree that number 3 is my least favorite out of all the recently redesigned license plates. The bridge looks nothing like an actual New York bridge, let alone a New York City bridge (which are the most notable bridges in the state like the George Washington Bridge, or the Brooklyn Bridge, or even the Verazzano Bridge). It looks like it came from San Francisco.

It's the brand new Tappan Zee Bridge from Westchester to Rockland, about 20 miles north of the City. Or sorry, the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge. Because Cuomo wants this thing to be his legacy and decided to name it after Daddy.

spacer.png

It's a rather pretty bridge, though not nearly as gorgeous or iconic as the GWB, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg, Triborough, or even Verrazano Bridges. But hey, it's Cuomo's pet project, so why not put it on our plates rather than one of New York's world famous bridges? 🙄

(If we want Cuomo's true legacy on there, I'd vote for a subway car stuck behind a track fire, filled to the brim with angry commuters. That should win a Plate of the Year award.)

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

It's the brand new Tappan Zee Bridge from Westchester to Rockland, about 20 miles north of the City. Or sorry, the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge. Because Cuomo wants this thing to be his legacy and decided to name it after Daddy.

spacer.png

It's a rather pretty bridge, though not nearly as gorgeous or iconic as the GWB, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg, Triborough, or even Verrazano Bridges. But hey, it's Cuomo's pet project, so why not put it on our plates rather than one of New York's world famous bridges? 🙄

(If we want Cuomo's true legacy on there, I'd vote for a subway car stuck behind a track fire, filled to the brim with angry commuters. That should win a Plate of the Year award.)

I'd feel like if that was the reason why it's #3 on one of their redesigned license plates, then that's kind of awkward considering I don't think New Yorkers really care about a bridge that came from upstate New York. Even as somebody who has lived his whole life in the NYC metropolitan area (Staten Island, per se), then I kinda like the NYC bridges even more because of bias. Even with that, I think they're more familiar than say something that came from Westchester. A lot of New Yorkers (upstate and in the NYC area) might agree with me on that. Maybe even outside of New York State to be honest given the popularity we had since the United States became a country.

The current New York plate makes me think of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia more than New York, but I'm biased. However, I don't think any of them are better than the current plate. If I could vote in this, I'd probably vote for 1 or 2.

ExJworW.png

18 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The current New York plate makes me think of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia more than New York, but I'm biased. However, I don't think any of them are better than the current plate. If I could vote in this, I'd probably vote for 1 or 2.

Ever since I saw that current New York plate, it always make me think that it was an old license plate from the 1960s. Heck, it even looked like a mish-mash of the plates from the early 1960s.

1960_New_York_License_Plate_Sample.jpg

(1960)
New_York_1962_Sample_license_plate.jpg

(1962)

On 8/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, SHaMROCK said:

The BLUE and YELLOW plates they have now are perfect, classic with just enough modern...  Why are they changing them again??? And what is Excelsior???  I thought these were to honour Stan Lee with that on there...

It’s the state motto which translate to “ever upward” or similar.. just like our taxes and cost of living!

On 8/20/2019 at 1:57 PM, Ark said:

Something interesting to think about is that license plate holders would cover the bottom of #5 and you wouldn't be able too see the imagery very well. 

NYS actually bans any plate covering including the clear bubble shield and any plate frame that covers any part of the plate so like 99% of any plate frame made. It can’t cover the plate number, state name or the bottom word mark as many commercial vehicles say “commercial” or “trailer” where Empire State is on standard plates. 

On 8/20/2019 at 4:41 PM, SHaMROCK said:

The BLUE and YELLOW plates they have now are perfect, classic with just enough modern...  Why are they changing them again??? And what is Excelsior???  I thought these were to honour Stan Lee with that on there...

They’re being changed again because emperor cuomo says NYS needs to change plates every ten years and the old white/ blue plates last issued in 2008 I believe are nownover ten years old and ezpass readers and plate scanners can’t can the old faded plates. Also the gold and blue plates had a manufacture felt that caused them to oxidized and peel. Us nyers see right through the bs and see it as just another governor money grab as it will cost $25 mandatory new plate fee and additional $20 to keep old plate number. 

Mets, Jets, Islanders

55 minutes ago, GuitarPunk2512 said:

NYS actually bans any plate covering including the clear bubble shield and any plate frame that covers any part of the plate so like 99% of any plate frame made. It can’t cover the plate number, state name or the bottom word mark as many commercial vehicles say “commercial” or “trailer” where Empire State is on standard plates.

As you said, I think the issue in NY is blocking the wording. I don't really pay attention to the license plate frames that people use, but I still think having a design solely on the top, bottom, or sides of a license plate is the worst option because it is the most likely to be blocked or be difficult to see in general. I prefer a design in the middle, but #1 and #2 also work for me. #3 works for me as well I guess but no thanks to #3 for several reasons.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, DellFan Productions said:

I'd vote for #5 because it is reminiscent of a previous New York license plate from the 2000s that I remember seeing all the time on various vehicles.

2001_New_York_License_Plate.jpg

^ This one is what I'm talking about.

I still have these plates on one of my cars. TC11. I have the gold plate on my truck. 11TC. And the wife has a gold plate on her car. 9TC

iq5b7nF.png

On 8/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, jc... said:

I still have these plates on one of my cars. TC11. I have the gold plate on my truck. 11TC. And the wife has a gold plate on her car. 9TC

I sometimes see the 2000s-era New York license plates on people's cars, especially if their cars were from the 2000s. I usually see it as an alternative plate for to the one we have now for cars that are sold in New York State.

Archived