Cosmic

New York State License Plate Vote

The current one is great.  It's strong and instantly identifiable.  I can get why people upstate and out by Buffalo, Rochester, etc. might feel a little left out, but the current one is still better than the Statue of Liberty design.

That being said, for the 100th time, I'll go on my rant over how stupid American (north and south) and Australian plate shapes and designs are.  Half the time, I have no idea what state a plate is from, which would make it tough to report it to authorities, and the other half, a dealer frame is covering it up because the state is always at the top or bottom.  The European and some Asian style works much better, with the country (or in our case, state) identifier on the left, the numbers on the right.  Hell - we could expand on that, and put a silly slogan on the bottom, and let that get covered up by what-should-be-illegal frames. 

I don't think it'd be hard for most vehicle manufacturers to adapt to a change in N/S American plate sizes since most just build the same car for everywhere and use interchangeable panels in the back with different sized cutouts anyway (or just a flat design that is plate agnostic.)

Also - why the F aren't front plates required everywhere?  PA doesn't require, and it's frustrating AF to 1) not see a plate when you need to report something, and 2) have to walk all around a car just to see the plate to know if it's your ride.

The results of the vote were released and Option 5 is the winner.

design-5.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=915

18 hours ago, tp49 said:

The results of the vote were released and Option 5 is the winner.

design-5.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=915

I actually didn't expect this to win, but it's pretty nice because it has the familiar sights of New York State, especially with the inclusion of the Manhattan skyline with the Freedom Tower that was just completed in 2012.

That image is cut off a little bit - the plate also includes the Montauk Lighthouse on the far right.

license_plate_9619.png

5002420505_e2f3fe3a6a_b.jpg

It's not my favorite design of the bunch, and I hate the "EXCELSIOR" lettering, but I love the geographical aspect of it.  From Niagara Falls on one end to Montauk on the other, with a shout-out to NYC, that's New York state in a nutshell. :D