2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, alxy8s said:

Wait, is that Fox's prestige time slot? Somehow never noticed, if so. That's absolutely awful. 

I think it's great, actually.

I mean, I don't know if it's working for them or not in terms of ratings, but the noon games every Saturday are mostly not very good so FOX putting an Ohio State-Wisconsin (which was a least a good matchup on paper) or whatever in that slot is great.

IUe6Hvh.png

23 minutes ago, See Red said:

I think it's great, actually.

I mean, I don't know if it's working for them or not in terms of ratings, but the noon games every Saturday are mostly not very good so FOX putting an Ohio State-Wisconsin (which was a least a good matchup on paper) or whatever in that slot is great.

Wisconsin/OSU was the best rated game in all of Saturday

Anyone got any mid season playoff ideas?

As of right now, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State

First 2 out are Penn State and Georgia.

People are going to fuss that there are two SEC teams in there. (At least I’ve heard some people fussing on TV) But it’s completely justified imo. Now I could see, depending on what happens in the SEC and Big 10, Oregon slipping in, but the loss to Auburn hurts. 
I could also see, depending on what happens 3 SEC teams making it in. Oregon doesn’t win Pac12, Georgia (possibly also Florida) wins SEC East, and then Bama beats LSU in SEC West final. Then Georgia beats bama and wins SEC. In that situation I don’t think you can knock any of those last 3 teams out. Bama definitely looks the strongest even though they don’t win the SEC completely and even if they lose to LSU in the regular season. So I think they could make it. You can’t mark out LSU, even if they lose to Bama in the SEC West final. Now I think they might have to win the regular season match up, but if they lose that, it hurts, although they have 3 wins against top 10 opponents. That’s the most in the country. So they might still make it, especially over a Clemson team who’s hardest opponent will be awake Forest. And then you can’t not let the SEC Champion in. So you have those 3 then the winner of the Big 10, assuming it’s between Ohio St and Penn St. If both lose then Oregon or Clemson could slip in. It would be

1. Georgia

2. Ohio St./Penn St.

3. Alabama

4. LSU

5. Oregon

6. Clemson

Then there’s also a chance only 1 SEC team gets in and so we have 4 conferences in the championship. Oregon, (LSU, Bama, or Georgia), (Ohio St. or Penn St.), Clemson.

This only happens if LSU beats Bama twice and wins SEC and Oregon wins Pac.

I think Georgia’s win today is big, and their conference is the only thing they have over Oregon. Even though their loss to South Carolina is worse than Oregon’s to Auburn, Oregon still just doesn’t look as good as Georgia, especially if Georgia puts up a good fight in SEC Championship, assuming they win the East.

Theres a lot more, Minnesota might even make it if they win out and win the Big 10. Meaning they would have to beat Ohio St. and Penn St. But I still kinda prefer Oregon or Bama or LSU over them.

A lot of possiblities, excited to hear anyone else’s ideas!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

We get it @BellaSpurs, also there is no scenario where they would have 3 SEC teams in the CFB Playoffs. In that scenario all would have 1 loss, with 1 not even playing in the championship and their loss being to the team that lost the championship. Also if Clemson remain unbeaten you can’t leave them out. They are the reigning undefeated champs.

Also, if you want in the playoffs, win your conference. 

Oregon’s loss to Auburn was Game 1, which is better than losing week 11. They are a better team now than they were 10 weeks ago. 

There is no way that 3 SEC teams get in the playoffs without major repercussions with the power 5 conferences. That would almost guarantee an expanded 8-team playoff.  

1 hour ago, shstpt1 said:

Also, if you want in the playoffs, win your conference. 

Oregon’s loss to Auburn was Game 1, which is better than losing week 11. They are a better team now than they were 10 weeks ago. 

There is no way that 3 SEC teams get in the playoffs without major repercussions with the power 5 conferences. That would almost guarantee an expanded 8-team playoff.  

This. I totally don't get the whole "rankings" thing. Win your conference, get into a playoff. It's like that in every other North American sport. Why does US college football have to be so blatantly biased toward the SEC different?

8 hours ago, dont care said:

We get it @BellaSpurs, also there is no scenario where they would have 3 SEC teams in the CFB Playoffs. In that scenario all would have 1 loss, with 1 not even playing in the championship and their loss being to the team that lost the championship. Also if Clemson remain unbeaten you can’t leave them out. They are the reigning undefeated champs.

The 2017 Alabama Crimson Tide say hello. 

Multiple teams from one conference aren’t getting in unless there is no viable alternative. Stretching back through the BCS era, only 2011 and 2017 Bama has been given the extra chance. We still haven’t seen that SEC bias be extended to the benefit of any of the other schools. 

And in which other sport is it a requirement to win the conference/division to enter the postseason? Every one of them has the equivalent of a wildcard. Alabama and LSU can hardly help being in the same division while Clemson gets to bulldoze their FCS-level conference. If LSU loses a very close game on the road to Alabama, they frankly deserve another shot on a neutral field, provided there is no other team deserving of the #4 slot. Is the committee supposed to invite the tOSU-PSU loser or a 2-loss PAC 12 champion just to mix things up? The reward for being the best team in your conference is the championship of that conference. Not necessarily a playoff berth. 

Anyhow, there’s 5 weeks left, and this sport always gains enough clarity in November to figure out the postseason. Lot of hyperventilating over hypotheticals right now. The first ever rankings had Ole Miss, MSU, and Auburn in the playoff; none of them made it. It’ll all be okay. The big, mean SEC won’t hog all the playoff berths. We all know it’s going to be Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and the SEC champion. One of the first three will need two losses to be left out in favor of the SEC (West) runner up.

PJU85JF.png

4 minutes ago, alxy8s said:

The 2017 Alabama Crimson Tide say hello. 

Multiple teams from one conference aren’t getting in unless there is no viable alternative. Stretching back through the BCS era, only 2011 and 2017 Bama has been given the extra chance. We still haven’t seen that SEC bias be extended to the benefit of any of the other schools. 

And in which other sport is it a requirement to win the conference/division to enter the postseason? Every one of them has the equivalent of a wildcard. Alabama and LSU can hardly help being in the same division while Clemson gets to bulldoze their FCS-level conference. If LSU loses a very close game on the road to Alabama, they frankly deserve another shot on a neutral field, provided there is no other team deserving of the #4 slot. Is the committee supposed to invite the tOSU-PSU loser or a 2-loss PAC 12 champion just to mix things up? The reward for being the best team in your conference is the championship of that conference. Not necessarily a playoff berth. 

Anyhow, there’s 5 weeks left, and this sport always gains enough clarity in November to figure out the postseason. Lot of hyperventilating over hypotheticals right now. The first ever rankings had Ole Miss, MSU, and Auburn in the playoff; none of them made it. It’ll all be okay. The big, mean SEC won’t hog all the playoff berths. We all know it’s going to be Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and the SEC champion. One of the first three will need two losses to be left out in favor of the SEC (West) runner up.

But in every sport the conference winners get an automatic slot in the post season. That’s how 7-9 teams can get into the nfl post season.

Well dang...that escalated quickly.

I figured they'd at least let Willie finish out the season before giving him the ol' hatchet, but apparently they acted in the moment of emotion and shot him the deuces at some point either last night or early this morning--they also must've REALLY been feeling the pressure. (Boosters have been working for weeks trying to scrounge up the buyout $ as well as threatening to not donate any more $ until Taggart is cut loose, so there's that, too.)

So, for the second time, 26-year-veteran coach Odell Haggins steps into the HC role on an interim basis. Should be interesting.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It may just be me, but conference championships mean a limited amount. Clemson the ACC means arguably less then a runner up in the SEC, especially an SEC with 3 of the arguably top 6 teams. 
Also in the situation I provided, where 3 SEC teams made it. What teams would you of chosen? Oklahoma? Oregon needs to lose the PAC 12, and you could even say that Clemson needs to lose a game between now and then. Oklahoma’s loss to K-State is fatal for their chances. I don’t see who else would make it, considering what I said had to happen for all 3 of them to make it.

56 minutes ago, dont care said:

But in every sport the conference winners get an automatic slot in the post season. That’s how 7-9 teams can get into the nfl post season.

And I disagree with that. I think the NFL needs to reorganize its postseason to accommodate the best teams, not division clinchers. Just like the talks of getting rid of conference separation in the NBA playoffs, it should be the same in the NFL and NCAA. How can I know Clemson is good if they play mediocre opponents all season. I know LSU, Georgia and Bama are all good because their keeping up and winning in the hardest conference with the most challenges. Just like the UCF argument, I don’t think they should’ve got in. Strength of schedule is very crucial imo in choosing who makes it and who doesn’t.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

In the comments he goes on to note that Notre Dame still holds the record with Charlie Weis' buyout.

It's going to over $20 million to buy out Taggart and his staff and I believe they're still paying Oregon their buyout.  What an awful hire this was.

Here's footage of Taggart addressing the team (stolen from reddit)

IUe6Hvh.png

22 hours ago, Buc said:

Well dang...that escalated quickly.

I figured they'd at least let Willie finish out the season before giving him the ol' hatchet, but apparently they acted in the moment of emotion and shot him the deuces at some point either last night or early this morning--they also must've REALLY been feeling the pressure. (Boosters have been working for weeks trying to scrounge up the buyout $ as well as threatening to not donate any more $ until Taggart is cut loose, so there's that, too.)

So, for the second time, 26-year-veteran coach Odell Haggins steps into the HC role on an interim basis. Should be interesting.

Now the dedicated football building is not going to open until 2022 or 23, right?  The haven't raised those funds yet, even with Willie donating $1M,  With the buyout of this staff and any future staffers, all the donations are going towards that and not the "building fund".  Not only paying his Oregon buyout ($3M) but FSU is also paying Oregon payment to USF ($1.3M).

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Now the dedicated football building is not going to open until 2022 or 23, right?  The haven't raised those funds yet, even with Willie donating $1M,  With the buyout of this staff and any future staffers, all the donations are going towards that and not the "building fund".  Not only paying his Oregon buyout ($3M) but FSU is also paying Oregon payment to USF ($1.3M).

For the next head coach:

giphy.gif

I can't see this being as bad as Tennessee, unless FSU decides to look at Schiano, but I can't see who is willing to deal with that much dysfunction on multiple levels. You had a guy who isn't there even 2 seasons who has had to rebuild the offensive line and fix some of the arrogance that this team apparently had and still has. Your next hire needs to be a disciplinarian and he's going to probably need at least 3 years to fix this, if not more. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For the next head coach:

giphy.gif

I can't see this being as bad as Tennessee, unless FSU decides to look at Schiano, but I can't see who is willing to deal with that much dysfunction on multiple levels. You had a guy who isn't there even 2 seasons who has had to rebuild the offensive line and fix some of the arrogance that this team apparently had and still has. Your next hire needs to be a disciplinarian and he's going to probably need at least 3 years to fix this, if not more. 

In those three years, you will likely have a new college president, as John Thrasher turns 76 in December and the AD is either 67 or 68 himself. 

Aaaannnnd we have rumors.

I don't know how to embed Twitter, but the "smoke" is that FSU is zeroing in on poaching Bob Stoops from the XFL Renegades to be the next HC.

Included in that tweet is that the school is intent on keeping Kendal Briles as OC and possible HC-in-waiting (which I don't know that I like the idea of him as HC down the line), and promoting Jim Leavitt as DC (which I love, because Harlon Barnett was NOT getting it done).

(By the way, can someone tell me how to embed Twitter up in here? I'm admittedly Twitter-deficient, so...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived