2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

4 hours ago, Buc said:

Aaaannnnd we have rumors.

I don't know how to embed Twitter, but the "smoke" is that FSU is zeroing in on poaching Bob Stoops from the XFL Renegades to be the next HC.

Included in that tweet is that the school is intent on keeping Kendal Briles as OC and possible HC-in-waiting (which I don't know that I like the idea of him as HC down the line), and promoting Jim Leavitt as DC (which I love, because Harlon Barnett was NOT getting it done).

(By the way, can someone tell me how to embed Twitter up in here? I'm admittedly Twitter-deficient, so...)

If you are on a laptop, just cut/paste the link as it will embedd automatically. If in phone, it won't embedd.

Well, they just hired a search firm, DHR International and Glenn Sugiyama. Sadly, Glenn hasn't been that good lately:

Charlie Weis to Kansas.

Kevin Sumlin to Arizona.

Jonathan Smith to Oregon State

Gary Andersen back to Utah State

If you are interested in someone who used to exclusively write about coaching, follow Chris Vaninni of The Athletic.

Also, naming a "HC in Waiting", doesn't work in 2019 because of the restrictions on recruiting for whomever it is. They become subject to the limits on contacting recruits as the official HC as opposed to the Assistants who are allowed to have greater contact.  Bylaws which address this were passed when Muschamp was in waiting at Texas, Franklin at Maryland (Bylaws 13.1.2.6  and 13.1.8.4.1). 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be shocked if Bob Stoops takes the Florida State job.  He retired to spend more time with his family and to avoid dying on the sideline like his father did.  Can't imagine he moves to Tallahassee while his two sons are at Oklahoma.  The XFL was his low-stress way to scratch the coaching itch part time.

IUe6Hvh.png

Me personally, just due to the inane amount of dookey FSU is in right now (read: they're monetarily screwed right now), their best bet is to hire from within. I (& many others) wish Odell Haggins would take the job--but he has no interest in being full-time HC. I actually wouldn't mind Jim Leavitt, to be perfectly honest...he knows the state, and pretty much built the South Florida program from its inception, so he has that working for him. And it wouldn't cost as much, either.

But, shiny carrots and such...that's the game of politics.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

27 minutes ago, Buc said:

Me personally, just due to the inane amount of dookey FSU is in right now (read: they're monetarily screwed right now), their best bet is to hire from within. I (& many others) wish Odell Haggins would take the job--but he has no interest in being full-time HC. I actually wouldn't mind Jim Leavitt, to be perfectly honest...he knows the state, and pretty much built the South Florida program from its inception, so he has that working for him. And it wouldn't cost as much, either.

But, shiny carrots and such...that's the game of politics.

Apparently, an issue just as large as Taggert's W/L record was Noon kickoffs and its impact on attendance. 

60% of their non-student ticket holders drive an 3.5 hours or more to games: Tampa and Orlando distance with Jacksonville under that average time.  That's about 38K folks, which accounts for about 10% of Leon County's sales tax income. 

Also, it isn't like Leavitt brought in a QB to USF.  Matt Grothe was the best who played under him, but Leavitt did coach BJ Daniels as a Frosh before he was fired. 

Leavitt could bring the discipline needed, but at what cost?

Is Leavitt still having the whole assaulting-a-player-and-lying-about-it-to-investigators thing held against him or has he done something since then that's made programs unwilling to make him a head coach?

This seems like it has the potential to turn into a Tennessee-esque coaching search.  Florida State can't afford to miss and I'm not sure there's anybody out there that's a sure thing if Stoops says no.

IUe6Hvh.png

8 minutes ago, See Red said:

Is Leavitt still having the whole assaulting-a-player-and-lying-about-it-to-investigators thing held against him or has he done something since then that's made programs unwilling to make him a head coach?

This seems like it has the potential to turn into a Tennessee-esque coaching search.  Florida State can't afford to miss and I'm not sure there's anybody out there that's a sure thing if Stoops says no.

Leavitt interviewed at Oregon and losing out to Cristobal and Texas Tech losing out to Matt Wells, but he was not interviewed by Colorado even though they won the Pac-12 South with him as DC before he split for Eugene.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Boom!

Putting Clemson at 5 is a nice bit of controversy, but I can't believe they wouldn't exploit the idea of Alabama vs. LSU being a 1 vs 2 matchup. If you're going to base the rankings around making things interesting like a wrestling company, at least book the matchup of playoff teams as a 1 vs. 2, you carnies.

It's kinda irrelevent anyway, since i doubt there's any circumstance in which both Ohio State and Penn State make it.  Even if OSU ony wins by 1, which the higher-ranked team is supposed to do, Penn State would have to drop because that's just how these things seem to work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Putting Clemson at 5 is a nice bit of controversy, but I can't believe they wouldn't exploit the idea of Alabama vs. LSU being a 1 vs 2 matchup. If you're going to base the rankings around making things interesting like a wrestling company, at least book the matchup of playoff teams as a 1 vs. 2, you carnies.

No need to when Penn State@tOSU comes later in the season.  And if #1LSU lost, they could not just swap them, even though they claim, "We start from scratch every week"

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

No need to when Penn State@tOSU comes later in the season.  And if #1LSU lost, they could not just swap them, even though they claim, "We start from scratch every week"

Smart. I grew up in the Attitude Era. I need to be reminded to hold back, take it slow, and not blow your load too early.

Apparently Okie State is the best 3-loss team, yet lost to a 3-loss Texas.  I guess their FCS win versus McNeese to make them 6-3 as opposed to 5-3 means more or their K-State win accounts for something. 

Baylor is #12 and Minnesota is #17. The Gophers have five wins against non-1st String QBs plus one against a Georgia Southern QB who only attempted 9 passes. 

There's another backstory on why the Seminoles have financial issues and it is twofold as told by Banner Society/SBNation's Bud Elliott, who has covered Florida State professionally since 2008 and had a degree from there.

1- They only became co-ed in 1947 and were basically a teaching and arts school which didn't add many terminal degrees to professional programs until the 60's, so lots of high wealth and high net worth isn't really there.  It is a lot of state legislative folks and small business owners. And as sexist as it sounds, they weren't producing a lot of folks who would produce wealth themselves.  The school's endowment is under $1B, for a school with 31,000 under grads now.

2-Relating to #1, FSU football does not have endowed scholarships, they basically pay year-by-year with donations like a Mountain West school!

From 2015:

Seminole Boosters currently has about $50 million in an endowment but would need an endowment in excess of $200 million to generate enough earnings to fully pay for the annual cost of scholarships – nearly $11.5 million – if the invested money could earn 5 percent or more.

“Scholarships, facilities and operating revenues are the three components of the Champions Campaign, a $250 million campaign for athletics that is part of the University’s overall eight-year, $1 Billion campaign,” said Andy Miller, President and CEO of Seminole Boosters, Inc..

“We have donors who feel very strongly about facility gifts and others who want to give to scholarships. We try to be donor-centric and help them find their passion. Those who want to leave a lasting legacy often choose to give to the endowed scholarship fund as their gift will provide scholarship funding for future generations of scholarship recipients and many do it with a will or estate gift.”

So, while working to build the endowment, Seminole Boosters looks to its members’ contributions to fund those scholarship costs of $21,208 for an in-state student-athlete and $35,870 for an out-of-state student-athlete

9 hours ago, See Red said:

I don't believe this has any chance of happening but...

Is he willing to lose that Under Armour money though? I don't see why Nike would feel they need to make up the difference. The guy couldn't bother to follow up on players attending the NFL combine, why would they expect him to do the same for recruits? 

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Chase Young has been suspended for a violation of team rules that occurred in 2018.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28034200/buckeyes-de-chase-young-vs-maryland-due-potential-ncaa-issue

So does  this mean Ohio State will bottle it like they failed to do last year? I'm guessing this ends the Young for Heisman chat now as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived