2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

10 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Too bad we may all die from climate change or a nuclear holocaust before getting to find out. Arkansas has loosened up "the policy" to now allow their teams to schedule in-state teams from within the University of Arkansas system (conveniently avoiding Arkansas State and Central Arkansas), so there is that.

Curious...why does Arkansas do that/what's their beef against A-State and UCA?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Buc said:

Curious...why does Arkansas do that/what's their beef against A-State and UCA?

They've pretty much always been hostile towards other state schools. Academically, they fought against Arkansas State becoming a university, and they've fought against other state schools from gaining doctorate programs. It's a power thing and state politics are backwards enough that it's been an uphill battle. The same backwards politics are also what keeps Arkansas playing games in Little Rock despite the university not wanting to, and much of the fanbase not wanting them to.

It's essentially the same with athletics. It's a power thing, and paranoia that they'll lose that power. They're certainly not the only school to do its best to avoid in-state matchups (see: Alabama, Michigan, West Virginia, and more), but they've been better at it than anybody else. They stopped playing in-state games back in the 40's I believe, after they lost to Harding, a small private school. Since the policy was enacted, they've avoided playing in-state schools in all sports, even exhibition games vs. D2 or NAIA schools. Their only in-state games have been in postseason tournaments like the NIT game between Arkansas and Arkansas State in the late 80's, or WNIT matchup with A-State in the mid-aughts.

With their new AD, the policy has been softened so that they can schedule in-state schools as long as they are in the UA system, because progress too often requires baby steps rather than a leap. Arkansas actually lost to Little Rock in baseball last year, which I think might help facilitate future matchups with the other schools because it exposed all of the old arguments as being bunk. Arkansas still went to the College World Series, while Little Rock wallowed in obscurity, and their recruiting wasn't hurt one bit.

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Oh, whoops.  Damn it.  Although I wasn't competely wrong since he's not at SMU anymore either. 😊

What an awful hire he ended up being.

Was he? I know he did not light the world on fire at SMU, but I think who ever they got next was gonna be facing a uphill battle. I mean I kinda thought the cupboard was bare for Morris, I guess the next guy is screwed right?? So no way Norvell goes there. Why not go after Mike Leach? He’s prob ready to move on after this year.  He can get that big influx of talent fast that most can’t to jump back into competitiveness. Plus it be fun to see him in the SEC. 

On 11/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, See Red said:

Oh, whoops.  Damn it.  Although I wasn't competely wrong since he's not at SMU anymore either. 😊

What an awful hire he ended up being.

He had six starting QBs in 22 games and seven QB used overall. The Athletic wrote about how Morris wasn't going to play Bielema's recruits and thus fractured the locker room.  One of those six, was Tyler Storey, who beat him down as WKU's QB as a Grad Transfer.  Two others were Grad Transfers who forced Storey out in Texas A&M transfer Nick Starkel and SMU transfer Ben Hicks.  Neither Starkel nor Hicks played Saturday vs. WKU.

Morris' QB playing son was to be part of his 2020 recruiting class. Apparently, he was going to put it all on his kid like Dan Hawkins tried to at Colorado and Todd Dodge did at North Texas.

15 hours ago, Wings said:

I have feeling Minnesota has a let down at Iowa next week setting up a winner take all showdown a few weeks later vs. Wisconsin for the West. 

Iowa seems to be in the same position they were vs Ohio State. This could be a blowout by Iowa, but Minnesota would have to be sleepwalking through the game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, dfwabel said:

He had six starting QBs in 22 games and seven QB used overall. The Athletic wrote about how Morris wasn't going to play Bielema's recruits and thus fractured the locker room.  One of those six, was Tyler Storey, who beat him down as WKU's QB as a Grad Transfer.  Two others were Grad Transfers who forced Storey out in Texas A&M transfer Nick Starkel and SMU transfer Ben Hicks.  Neither Starkel nor Hicks played Saturday vs. WKU.

Morris' QB playing son was to be part of his 2020 recruiting class. Apparently, he was going to put it all on his kid like Dan Hawkins tried to at Colorado and Todd Dodge did at North Texas.

I was just trying to remember his name the other day. I was joking with a friend of mine (he's an Arkansas fan) that they should go after Pulaski Academy coach Kevin Kelley. You may remember him as that high school coach that never punts. Anyway, I was trying to remember Dodge's name as an example of high school coaches immediately becoming college head coaches without any coordinator experience. Tony Sanchez at UNLV has also been really bad (zero winning seasons), but he at least has more SEC victories than Chad Morris ever got.

14 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I was just trying to remember his name the other day. I was joking with a friend of mine (he's an Arkansas fan) that they should go after Pulaski Academy coach Kevin Kelley. You may remember him as that high school coach that never punts. Anyway, I was trying to remember Dodge's name as an example of high school coaches immediately becoming college head coaches without any coordinator experience. Tony Sanchez at UNLV has also been really bad (zero winning seasons), but he at least has more SEC victories than Chad Morris ever got.

Andy Staples mentioned Kevin Kelley when he and Stew Mandel sat down for his post-LSU/Bama podcast Saturday night.

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Andy Staples mentioned Kevin Kelley when he and Stew Mandel sat down for his post-LSU/Bama podcast Saturday night.

Which is hilarious. Kelley always got listed as a potential candidate at Arkansas State by state media when they were hemorrhaging head coaches, but that's because the state media only knows some high school coaches and random people who were assistants at Arkansas. The same thing happens in basketball when Little Rock or Arkansas State have an opening and the only people these people can think of are former equipment managers at Arkansas or something.

Realistically, Kelley's style wouldn't work in college. Unless his teams were far more talented that is. Pulaski Academy can recruit, and his teams are more talented 95% of the time when playing teams in their division. Stick him at Arkansas where he's going to have the fifth-best recruits (at best) in the division, and that stuff won't fly anymore. It's one thing to recover five-straight onside kicks against the local white flight town, and another to do that against SEC teams.

EDIT: Not only did Ty Storey destroy Arkansas, but the other QB that started for Arkansas (in the North Texas debacle even) Cole Kelley, beat Central Arkansas (who beat Western Kentucky) 34-0. I thought Morris would at least be solid (SMU got better every year), but he was an outright disaster. Rarely has schadenfreude been so satisfying.

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Which is hilarious. Kelley always got listed as a potential candidate at Arkansas State by state media when they were hemorrhaging head coaches, but that's because the state media only knows some high school coaches and random people who were assistants at Arkansas. The same thing happens in basketball when Little Rock or Arkansas State have an opening and the only people these people can think of are former equipment managers at Arkansas or something.

Tangential observation, I know, and I caught wind of it the last couple times I was in town out there--but UALR is really serious about pushing itself as "Little Rock" now, isn't it?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

23 minutes ago, Buc said:

Tangential observation, I know, and I caught wind of it the last couple times I was in town out there--but UALR is really serious about pushing itself as "Little Rock" now, isn't it?

Yeah, which is something I'd been pushing for by yelling at people on the street for years. Maybe the former AD, Conque was one of the people I accosted and felt inspired. Little Rock sounds more like a real team than Arkansas-Little Rock, which sounds like the little brother of an actual team. Similarly, the academic side of the school has moved towards UA Little Rock as the preferred branding over Arkansas-Little Rock or UALR.

The statewide newspaper still uses UALR for their athletics teams because they're petty. They acted like it was a space thing once, but then they still use Central Arkansas over UCA, despite it being longer than Little Rock. And one time I read an article which described them as the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Trojans, either in an effort to troll them for preferring Little Rock, or as a ploy by a newspaper writer to hit his word limit.

The main sports editor there had a big long column once where he pretended that they still used UALR over Little Rock in "honor" of their old teams that were successful, despite a big part of the examples being dedicated towards the women's basketball coach that is still at Little Rock, and despite the most successful team in Little Rock's men's basketball history occurring after the change (the least successful team ever shortly followed, but this column predated that).

The rumor is that it was Chase Young's former high school coach that was the source of the report that got Chase Young suspended.  His former high school coach is now a RB's coach for Maryland, Ohio State's opponent last week.

Which means that this guy presumably got Chase Young suspended to give his team a leg up on Ohio State... and went on to lose 73-14.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, See Red said:

The rumor is that it was Chase Young's former high school coach that was the source of the report that got Chase Young suspended.  His former high school coach is now a RB's coach for Maryland, Ohio State's opponent last week.

Which means that this guy presumably got Chase Young suspended to give his team a leg up on Ohio State... and went on to lose 73-14.

Gus and Klatt basically alluded to that OSU believed someone from the Beltway, if not the team itself dropped a dime on him during the broadcast

19 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Chase Young officially back for the Penn State game. As someone pointed out on an tOSU fansite, it's really just a one game suspension since he wasn't going to play in the second half of either game he's missing.

Chase Young IF he had played this weekend.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

“Today I want to make it clear that Will Muschamp is our football coach and will be out coach going forward. President Caslen and I are fully supportive of his leadership and his development of student athletes on and off the field. Coach Muschamp and our staff are dedicated to the success of Gamecock football.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/osmattmurschel/status/1195411754953641985?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Archived