2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, B-Rich said:

So, for his last game in Tiger Stadium Joe Burrow came out for his senior night introduction wearing this beauty as a tribute to LSU, its fans and the local culture:

spacer.png

Joe "Burreaux" Jersey

That's great. Everyone here is saying the Bengals' campaign for him is "Bungle For Burrow", but the most clever one I saw was "Bleaux For Jeaux". 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Slightly off topic (since this is mostly FBS talk), but I'm kind of annoyed by the presence of the Celebration Bowl. I'd love to see how the HBCUs fair in the FCS playoffs.

Thing is... they don't usually fair well in the playoffs. SWAC schools usually play after they start the playoffs and the last MEAC team to get in was North Carolina A&T in 2016 and they got smashed by Richmond. The last time the SWAC had a team in was 1997, in which Jackson State lost to Western Illinois.

17 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Michigan isn't an elite football program anymore. They're in the same boat as USC and Texas.

I would've previously placed them in the USC and Texas tier because those schools always feel like they're one recruiting class and one coach away from being #BACK and I thought that Harbaugh would be that coach and I thought one of their highly ranked recruiting classes would be that recruiting class, but now it feels like Michigan is more like Nebraska, Tennessee, or Miami. I don't know what's happened to Michigan, but it's not the same as it used to be. As a kid who grew up in Columbus in the 90's when Michigan ruined OSU's national championship every year, I would've loved to know that at one point Ohio State would beat Michigan 8 straight years and 15 out of 16, but I kind of wish Michigan would get their s*** together because this rivalry has really lost its teeth. 

In regards to yesterday's game - EXACTLY what I expected. I have no idea what experts saw in Michigan this year to think it would be close. I bet $20 to win $20 that OSU would cover the spread and it was never in doubt. Their ranking in the top 15, every time they got there, was always a reach. Their players aren't as good as Ohio State's and their coach is a nutbar. It's not rocketry. TTUN needs a full purge and culture rebuild if they want to compete with OSU or stick with Harbaugh and risk becoming Wisconsin/MSU East. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd argue that Michigan is still a tier above Tennessee, Miami, and Nebraska. Those three schools have gone from powerhouses to fighting to make a bowl game. At least with Harbaugh, they still win 9+ games. He is basically the Wolverines equivalent to OSU's John Cooper. Relatively successful but can't beat their biggest rival. 

So upon further review, maybe Michigan is a HALF tier above those three schools??

6 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Slightly off topic (since this is mostly FBS talk), but I'm kind of annoyed by the presence of the Celebration Bowl. I'd love to see how the HBCUs fair in the FCS playoffs.

I understand the sentiment, but truth is, the HBCUs make fare more money with the Celebration Bowl model than the FCS playoffs. I did my graduate thesis about this and, short version; most HBCUs operate at a net loss in the FCS playoffs while as they are guaranteed to make money money in the Celebration Bowl. A 9-2 Bethune-Cookman team that hosts a 1st round playoff game will more than likely loose money on that, but an 0-11 Grambling State team is guaranteed a share of the $2,000,000 payout regardless.

So the HBCUs will keep this model because they are making more money than before. 

6 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

30 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I understand the sentiment, but truth is, the HBCUs make fare more money with the Celebration Bowl model than the FCS playoffs. I did my graduate thesis about this and, short version; most HBCUs operate at a net loss in the FCS playoffs while as they are guaranteed to make money money in the Celebration Bowl. A 9-2 Bethune-Cookman team that hosts a 1st round playoff game will more than likely loose money on that, but an 0-11 Grambling State team is guaranteed a share of the $2,000,000 payout regardless.

So the HBCUs will keep this model because they are making more money than before. 

68,314 attended the Bayou Classic yesterday and the SWAC Championship next week and the Celebration Bowl will draw better than 85% of the FCS playoffs.  Play to your base.

There's also the "little secret" that HBCUs are typically banned from NCAA post-seasons due to poor APR at a much higher rate than others

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If Utah wins next week, Utah is in.

Fiesta Bowl needs to sell tickets and a playoff Utah will do that

Do they though? If Georgia beats LSU, they would probably go before Utah. And there’s an argument for the winner of the big 12 as well. So far Utah has lost against the only ranked opponent they’ve played, USC. The big 12 is much more competitive than the pac 10 south.

Excellent!

5 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Do they though? If Georgia beats LSU, they would probably go before Utah. And there’s an argument for the winner of the big 12 as well. So far Utah has lost against the only ranked opponent they’ve played, USC. The big 12 is much more competitive than the pac 10 south.

CFP committee chair is Oregon AD Rob Mullins.  He will lobby is ass off during the ice cream social to get a Pac-12 squad in. 

And he will be in the Octagon against Oklahoma AD Joe Castigilone.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2017/10/16/selection-committee.aspx

Why/how both those MFers on a committee illustrates why players never get paid and how crooked they entire intercollegiate model is. 

10 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If Utah wins next week, Utah is in.

Fiesta Bowl needs to sell tickets and a playoff Utah will do that

If Ohio State is #1, they'll be the home team there. There's plenty of Buckeyes living around Phoenix to buy up tickets. Big Ten Network mentioned Penn State possibly falling up to the Rose Bowl if Ohio State beats Wisconsin. I almost feel like Wisconsin should earn it over Penn State until I realized they'd have 3 losses.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Oh my lord, Baylor still has a chance at the cfp.

Unfortunately they'd have to beat Oklahoma by the same score they beat Kansas. 

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I'd argue that Michigan is still a tier above Tennessee, Miami, and Nebraska. Those three schools have gone from powerhouses to fighting to make a bowl game. At least with Harbaugh, they still win 9+ games. He is basically the Wolverines equivalent to OSU's John Cooper. Relatively successful but can't beat their biggest rival. 

So upon further review, maybe Michigan is a HALF tier above those three schools??

Michigan just needs to accept that retaining assistants because they're "Michigan men" isn't working. Don Brown didn't change much from last year and was helped in the first quarter by Fields being too amped up on the first few drives when he was overthrowing receivers. They have equal talent and that game should always be for a Big Ten East title. 

8 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

HBCUs went with the Celebration Bowl because unless you have that one transcendent player, like Steve McNair at Alcorn State, you'll never host a playoff game and you're finances aren't as stable as at the top FCS schools. Heck! St. Thomas (MN), a D3 school that could move to FCS, has better finances for football than some FCS and D2 HBCUs and even they make less than most current FCS schools.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If Ohio State is #1, they'll be the home team there. There's plenty of Buckeyes living around Phoenix to buy up tickets. Big Ten Network mentioned Penn State possibly falling up to the Rose Bowl if Ohio State beats Wisconsin. I almost feel like Wisconsin should earn it over Penn State until I realized they'd have 3 losses.

If #1, tOSU would also choose where they would prefer to play.

And if they have the choice, I think they'd still play OU/Utah in Atlanta since it is a drive on 71 to Cincinnati to I-75 as opposed to a flight

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Michigan just needs to accept that retaining assistants because they're "Michigan men" isn't working. Don Brown didn't change much from last year and was helped in the first quarter by Fields being too amped up on the first few drives when he was overthrowing receivers. They have equal talent and that game should always be for a Big Ten East title.

But they don't do that anymore. That's lore.

Fred Jackson->Gone.  Tyrone Wheatley->Out. Greg Mattison->@tOSU

Their staff has been a lot of his Stanford and 49ers guys to begin with but now, they are throwing $$ at anyone.  Hell, their QB coach is Josh McDaniels' brother, Ben.  HMMM?

The special teams coach is Chris Partridge, the Paramas NJ HS coach of Peppers.  LB coach is Anthony Campanile, who spent time at Rutgers and BC, but before that was...you guessed right, a NJ high school coach and brother of the Rutgers interim HC this season, Nunzio.  And I know I ain't messing with no dude named Nunzio!

tOSU has commitments from 8 Top 100 players from the Class of 2020, Michigan has 2.  Full stop. 

They recruit at another level which Michigan is not willing to go to.

Justin Fields was the highest recruited player who played in that game ever.  And that game has had, in the modern era, Orlando Pace, David Boston, Charles Woodson, Eddie George, TJ Barrett, the Bosa Brothers, Devin Bush II, Jabril Peppers,and Rashan Gary.

Archived