2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

17 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's odd not seeing Alabama in the New Year's Six. Refreshing, but still odd. If they lose the Citrus Bowl, does that still make Michigan's season a complete disappointment? I know they lost to OSU again and finished with three losses, but it's still Nick Saban and Alabama... Tua or not.

It already is.  The performance at Wisconsin, and losses to Penn State and tOSU for another 3rd place in the division. 

The bigger question is who is going to actually for either side on January 1.  Truth be told, Michigan's DB are hoping that Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, and DeVonta Smith, all Juniors decide to skip the bowl game and prepare for the draft.  Alabama could have a many as six guys total not play since Xavier McKinney, Trevon Diggs and Terrell Lewis are the defensive guys who may be 1st or 2nd Round picks

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that all 4 teams won their conference/conference title game. I've thought for years that should be a prerequisite to making the playoffs, which would solve the "should we expand an 8 team playoff" problem by making the conference championship games into the de facto first round of the playoffs.

Under our current system if Georgia had beaten LSU then LSU would still be in the playoff based on their season and both LSU and Georgia would be in the playoff right now. What was the point of the SEC championship game if that had happened, then? If you make it so there's no at-large bids then the SEC Championship becomes its own playoff game and the stakes are way higher. LSU won big anyways so it all worked the way it should, but still. There's been years when things haven't worked so tidily. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Utah fell down the food chain pretty hard! almost relegated to a las vegas bowl birth(vs of all teams Boise St, which the Utes have had a rough time with) lucikly they got the Alamo Bowl but vs Texas??  what a slap in the face, this is a no win situation for the Utes. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

On 12/9/2019 at 6:58 PM, McCarthy said:

I love that all 4 teams won their conference/conference title game. I've thought for years that should be a prerequisite to making the playoffs, which would solve the "should we expand an 8 team playoff" problem by making the conference championship games into the de facto first round of the playoffs.

Under our current system if Georgia had beaten LSU then LSU would still be in the playoff based on their season and both LSU and Georgia would be in the playoff right now. What was the point of the SEC championship game if that had happened, then? If you make it so there's no at-large bids then the SEC Championship becomes its own playoff game and the stakes are way higher. LSU won big anyways so it all worked the way it should, but still. There's been years when things haven't worked so tidily. 

Could not agree more. It should be the best four conference champions in the playoff - that way you won't be excluding any deserving teams.

LvZYtbZ.png

On 12/8/2019 at 9:05 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

It's odd not seeing Alabama in the New Year's Six.

You misspelled "awesome."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, willmorris said:

Could not agree more. It should be the best four conference champions in the playoff - that way you won't be excluding any deserving teams.

And I couldn't disagree more. The best thing about the current set up is that there are no automatic bids. I don't need to see a, let's say as a hypothetical, a three loss Florida team get into the conference championship game against an undefeated LSU, take advantage of an in-game injury, and take up a play off spot from some other deserving team from another conference. No thanks. I'm fine with the exact system we have. If you aren't 13-0 or 12-1? GTFO, championship or no.

I don't need to see an eight team playoff, but if they do, I want it to be best eight, period, no automatic bids.

42 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And I couldn't disagree more. The best thing about the current set up is that there are no automatic bids. I don't need to see a, let's say as a hypothetical, a three loss Florida team get into the conference championship game against an undefeated LSU, take advantage of an in-game injury, and take up a play off spot from some other deserving team from another conference. No thanks. I'm fine with the exact system we have. If you aren't 13-0 or 12-1? GTFO, championship or no.

I don't need to see an eight team playoff, but if they do, I want it to be best eight, period, no automatic bids.

If they go to 8 I'm almost certain auto bids for the Power 5 will be locked in as well as a slot for the best Group of 5 team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they go to 8 I'm almost certain auto bids for the Power 5 will be locked in as well as a slot for the best Group of 5 team. 

Oh, I agree completely, which is why I don't need to see an 8 team play-off.  No. No no no. College football is the only regular season that matters. This year in the NFL, some POS NFC east team is going to get in the playoffs with a .500 record, at best. Why?  Because they won their historically crappy division. But in CFB, lose just one game, and you're in trouble.  Lose two, and you're out. It's beautiful, it's perfect. 

I have no doubt they'll expand it to eight, eventually. They will go to eight, with 5 conference champs regardless of overall record, one useless group of 5 sacrificial lamb, and Notre Da... oops, I mean 2 at large bids. And when they do, it won't be because of "fairness" or "competitive balance" or whatever other garbage they'll try to tell you.  It'll be for the money.  And it'll water down the regular season, which sucks.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Oh, I agree completely, which is why I don't need to see an 8 team play-off.  No. No no no. College football is the only regular season that matters. This year in the NFL, some POS NFC east team is going to get in the playoffs with a .500 record, at best. Why?  Because they won their historically crappy division. But in CFB, lose just one game, and you're in trouble.  Lose two, and you're out. It's beautiful, it's perfect. 

I have no doubt they'll expand it to eight, eventually. They will go to eight, with 5 conference champs regardless of overall record, one useless group of 5 sacrificial lamb, and Notre Da... oops, I mean 2 at large bids. And when they do, it won't be because of "fairness" or "competitive balance" or whatever other garbage they'll try to tell you.  It'll be for the money.  And it'll water down the regular season, which sucks.

I don't disagree with anything you said, you could make the argument that in every CFP year, there are only between 2-4 teams deserving to be named national champions by the time the season ends.

However, on the flip side of the argument, an expanded playoff would cripple the corporate bowl system and students would get on-campus playoff games, two things I would very much like to see. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:43 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't want auto bids either. I just think that winning your conference should be a prerequisite for competing for the larger national title. Alabama won a national title without winning their division, which means they actually benefited from losing the game that allowed them to to skip playing in the SEC championship. Their opponent in the National Champoinship game, Georgia, had to play an extra game that season because they had the misfortune of going to the SEC championship. Nobody else thinks that leaving the door open for that possibility and the fact that it actually happened is SUPREMELY stupid and flawed?

My system and why it'd be perfect: Simply take the 4 best Qualifiers, which, again, doesn't mean auto bids. 

what does this do? It maintains the importance of the regular season, which is something we all want to keep (and something that'd be lessened with an 8 team playoff.) while also giving actual stakes to the conference championship games every year - it turns them into de facto first round of an 8 team tournament. Imagine how epic it'd be if a team was undefeated and lost in the SEC title game. Instead of merely receiving a worse ranking in the playoff like they would under the current system, now they're eliminated. Think about how Alabama's loss to Auburn in 2017 that kept them from playing in the SEC title game was essentially meaningless, a road bump to another national title. Under this system It would've eliminated them. That's demanding perfection. It also decreases the likelihood of rematches, which suck because they retroactively diminish the importance of the first meeting and they punish the winner of the first game. 

You'd still get undefeated and 1 loss teams in that system, with the occasional two game loser sneaking in. The 4 teams this year, all conference champs, have a combined 1 loss. In your hypothetical that 3 loss Florida team, although a conference champ, probably would not make the playoff under my system because they'd be the 5th best conference champion. Your hypothetical in my system has OSU go to 1, Clemson 2, Oklahoma 3, and Oregon 4. See how that works without automatic bids? 

You want to demand perfection of the regular season, you want every game to matter including the conference championship games, then that's how you do it. The SEC championship game this season was basically meaningless for LSU. They got a trophy, got a title, and avoided Clemson, but had they lost they still would've been in the playoff, which means they went to Atlanta and beat the crap out of Georgia for nothing. (That they beat the crap out of Georgia who had more to play for makes their win even more impressive.)

Before someone says, "but what if you just happen to play in a division with one of the other 4 best teams in the country?"

Tough farts life's hard. You knew the rules when the season started. If you're not good enough to win your conference then you're not good enough to compete for the greater national championship, even if you might happen to technically be one of the 4 best teams. Shoulda won more games than ya did. Alabama-LSU this year was essentially a playoff game that played in November, which is how it should be. 

Before someone says "But what about Notre Dame?"

I don't care. Join a conference if you want to participate, cancel football, GFY. It doesn't matter to me. I'm tired of different rules for that one school. 

"what about teams outside of the power 5?"

They continue to get f***** just like they do now except now we'll be honest about it. No, if a team like UCF or Boise State puts together a really good season, wins their conference, and has the metrics to support the argument that they're one of the 4 best conference champs then I think they should absolutely get a chance to play. If we're not going to let AAC, WAC, MAC, Mountain West, Sunbelt schools into their Division's championship round then why are they even Division 1? If we're not going to let them compete then create a second tier below the power 5 and they play for their own championship. If my system was in place in 2017 then UCF could've conceivably gotten a shot because a spot wouldn't have been stolen by an Alabama team who didn't win their division. 

"what if there's a bunch of upsets in the conference championship games and a bunch of bad teams are who we have to choose from?"

First of all, that sounds like a blast. Second of all, very unlikely. Third of all, that's the opening for the Cinderella run that college football doesn't really have. 

For these same reasons, I'm staunchly opposed to an 8 team playoff. I think it's a dumb AF idea and would ruin all the things that make college football what is. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Alabama won a national title without winning their division, which means they actually benefited from losing the game that allowed them to to skip playing in the SEC championship.

They did that TWICE!!

It is what it is.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, you could make the argument that in every CFP year, there are only between 2-4 teams deserving to be named national champions by the time the season ends.

However, on the flip side of the argument, an expanded playoff would cripple the corporate bowl system and students would get on-campus playoff games, two things I would very much like to see. 

Oh, I doubt that.  An expanded playoff would be designed by the college AD's hand and hand with the Bowls, passing large fistfuls of cash back and forth, and giggling. An 8 team playoff isn't happening until they figure out how to do it without crippling the bowls... I'm willing to bet that's the only hold up.  Once the Bowls get their cut and sign on, it'll happen.

42 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Oh, I doubt that.  An expanded playoff would be designed by the college AD's hand and hand with the Bowls, passing large fistfuls of cash back and forth, and giggling. An 8 team playoff isn't happening until they figure out how to do it without crippling the bowls... I'm willing to bet that's the only hold up.  Once the Bowls get their cut and sign on, it'll happen.

How many bowls are owned by ESPN? Kill 4 of them, put it on campus. Done. ESPN then saves money for 4 schools that host AND the four that visit since it'll be easier to coordinate travel for the networks and the fans. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

How many bowls are owned by ESPN? Kill 4 of them, put it on campus. Done. ESPN then saves money for 4 schools that host AND the four that visit since it'll be easier to coordinate travel for the networks and the fans. 

How else is ESPN going to sell advertising space for 2 weeks in December. Broadcast hockey games? 

5 hours ago, GFB said:

This weekend or next?  If a quarterfinal was on this weekend (or even next), nearly every school is up against graduation, thus the majority hotel rooms are booked thus freezing out media and the visitor.  Wait a week, after finals, and those schools with fairly large on-campus population, say 20%, they would be out of their Residence Halls. 

More importantly, this ain't charity and tickets, even for students, would start at $100/each.  Yea, they going to stay in town before Christmas and spend another $300+ they may not have for a playoff game.

Seeing a lot of stuff about how Joe Burrow never gave up on his dream. He didn't get recruited by his number 1 school out of high school and then transferred when he wasn't the starter at Ohio State.

When did everyone flip on "Transferring is for millennial kids who can't wait their turn something something participation trophies" to "transferring is known as never giving up on your dreams"?

Archived