2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

15 minutes ago, Wings said:

Even outrecruited by freaking Cal. Hedging my bets but Helton gets fired during the 2020 season. 

Their 2020 recruiting season is still f*c^ed as those kids still still leave the state.  16 of the 2019 Top 50 California kids stayed home. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/19/2019 at 7:00 PM, Buc said:

I can't speak for the rest of Tennessee, but from what I saw during almost five years of living in Nashville, it's mostly just Bama (!) and UT, at least among the locals*. There is, to include my former chief boss, a small contingent of Ole Miss fans/alumni, and of course some fans of the reptiles (UF, that is). But other than that, yeah it's mostly Bama and UT.

*Of course Nashville is so full of transplants these days you'd have a harder time finding an actual native/local than you would a new resident! And of course, they, like all transplants, bring their existing fandoms with them.

I'll just put this out there but when I went to school at Alabama I knew maybe 30 or 40 people from Nashville and the metro area and that was much longer ago in time than I'd care to admit.  Tennessee's had the University of Alabama vanity license plate for at least twenty years now.  I'm also sure that as Nashville's expanded more UA grads moved there with it being one of the largest cities in the region so there being a lot of Alabama fans in Nashville isn't that surprising (bandwagon jumpers aside.)  Also doesn't help that UT's been a dumpster fire for the better part of the last decade and Vandy's only good every now and then.  There's a decent amount of Ole Miss fans in Memphis though with Oxford being about an hour or so away.

7 hours ago, tp49 said:

I'll just put this out there but when I went to school at Alabama I knew maybe 30 or 40 people from Nashville and the metro area and that was much longer ago in time than I'd care to admit.  Tennessee's had the University of Alabama vanity license plate for at least twenty years now.  I'm also sure that as Nashville's expanded more UA grads moved there with it being one of the largest cities in the region so there being a lot of Alabama fans in Nashville isn't that surprising (bandwagon jumpers aside.)  Also doesn't help that UT's been a dumpster fire for the better part of the last decade and Vandy's only good every now and then.  There's a decent amount of Ole Miss fans in Memphis though with Oxford being about an hour or so away.

It's surprising how many of the larger colleges have license plate deals in Texas. All of the Big XII and SEC West and most of the SEC East are available here. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

F*** Blake James. He is responsible for this mess at Miami and it will continue to be this way until his clown ass is fired. Probably won't happen though because the administration doesn't give a rat's ass about football anymore. 

The AD responsible?  OK. 

Miami's four game losing streak in 2018 was right before the early signing period and subsequently, many verbal commits decommitted.  Then Richt retires AFTER the early signing period and Diaz already accepted the Temple job and staff were looking for other jobs since most are not on multi-year contracts.  The damage for the Class of 2019 was already done.  The OL had a true FR at one tackle and a redshirt FR at the other.  The OL did not improve over the course of the year, just like QB play.  DeeJay Dallas going out with an elbow injury was the death blow to the season.

13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You have looked at Nebraska as of late, have you?

Nebraska is changing over from one system to a new one. Miami wasn't. Nebraska's biggest issue currently is not having a quarterback that can run what Scott Frost wants to do as an offense. Miami's issues are the same ones that got it in trouble in the past. Too many people involved with program decisions that don't know what they are doing. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

For all of Miami's problems -- off-campus stadium, the administration not caring about football, nowhere to build facilities -- there's too much talent in South Florida for them to be this bad and they could probably right the ship pretty quickly if they had the right staff (righting the ship in this case means being the one to get slaughtered by Clemson in the ACC CG).  Nebraska can't do anything about the fact that they're in Nebraska and that the circumstances that allowed them to thrive under Osborne have changed drastically.

Also, I think the jury should still be out on Scott Frost at this point.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, See Red said:

For all of Miami's problems -- off-campus stadium, the administration not caring about football, nowhere to build facilities -- there's too much talent in South Florida for them to be this bad and they could probably right the ship pretty quickly if they had the right staff (righting the ship in this case means being the one to get slaughtered by Clemson in the ACC CG).  Nebraska can't do anything about the fact that they're in Nebraska and that the circumstances that allowed them to thrive under Osborne have changed drastically.

Also, I think the jury should still be out on Scott Frost at this point.

The firing of Dan Enos as OC was made official this morning. Won't be shocked if OL coach Butch Barry also leaves as he worked in the same role with Enos when Enos was HC at Central Michigan.

Diaz should have stayed at Temple. When Temple is a better chance to win and better run program than Miami, that tells you everything you need to know.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 12/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Nebraska is changing over from one system to a new one. Miami wasn't. Nebraska's biggest issue currently is not having a quarterback that can run what Scott Frost wants to do as an offense. Miami's issues are the same ones that got it in trouble in the past. Too many people involved with program decisions that don't know what they are doing. 

I'm still baffled by the hiring of Mike Riley at Nebraska. That was one of the most obviously doomed for failure hires I've ever seen.

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm still baffled by the hiring of Mike Riley at Nebraska. That was one of the most obviously doomed for failure hires I've ever seen.

Reportedly, he wanted the UTSA job. I think that's about where he needs to be. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Riley was less baffling than Bill Callahan being chosen in 2004.

Maybe this is their new pattern. Fire a coach who has been mostly good, make an insane hire that will obviously fail, then hire a mostly good coach. Assuming the Frost thing works out.

12 minutes ago, See Red said:

Maybe we should stop letting Oklahoma be in the playoff.

Does this make it more likely that Lincoln Riley jumps for the NFL?  Trying to win a NC at Oklahoma has to be feeling pretty futile right now.

Yeah, I enjoy a good joke, but it's starting to wear thin.

Archived