2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Reports also have Mississippi State talking to Steve Sarkisian.

If he was getting blackout drunk in Seattle and Los Angeles, what the hell is he going to do in Starkville?  Granted, I hope he has gotten over his demons, but the pressure to win there from a delusional fan base may likely drive him to hit the bottle again.

He better buy his liquor in advance if he's going to go on a Sunday bender

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Coaches Film Room coaches have yet to be named, but they will have the LSU radio feed on the SEC network and the Clemson radio feed on the ACC Network.

Plus, also a Ref Chat on the ESPN app.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/01/espn-presents-the-college-football-playoff-national-championship-through-cutting-edge-technology/

Oh my god. There's going to be a channel where officiating experts provide live commentary on a game being officiated by Pac 12 refs?  I know which channel I'm watching.

Also, don't hire Sark, Mississippi State. Hire Grantham!

IUe6Hvh.png

Georgia offensive lineman Cade May's is transferring to Tennessee but more noteworthy, his father is suing UGA for an incident that occurred two years ago on a recruiting visit involving a folding chair and a column that resulted in him losing part of his pinky.

In addition to the news of Mays’ transfer decision, it was reported that his father, Kevin Mays, is suing the University of Georgia Athletics Department and a manufacturer of a folding chair, after part of his pinky finger had to be amputated.

Per Radi Nabulsi of UGASports.com, Kevin Mays’ right pinky finger was partially amputated because a folding chair was wedged between a column. According to the report, his severed finger “shot across the floor.”

IUe6Hvh.png

Monday looks to be All Nick Saban

While nothing official, SI is claiming the Film Room coaches will be:

Gary Patterson (TCU)

Mike Gundy (Okie State)

Pat Narduzzi (Pitt)

Derek Mason (Vanderbilt)

Jeff Hafley (new BC coach, formerly DC w/Ohio State)

They just had to have Alabama in this thing, somehow, some way...didn't they??,

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I never really got the sense that Nick Saban was all that engaging a personality; isn't he kind of the NCAA version of Belichick?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, Buc said:

They just had to have Alabama in this thing, somehow, some way...didn't they??,

2 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

My immediate thoughts when I read that earlier

There's going to be a lot of Jimbo Fisher and Ryan Day too, so Aggie and Buckeye get additional  "airtime" as well.

29 minutes ago, See Red said:

LSU is the undisputed national champion of hype videos.

Edit: and they've got two more coming. One narrated by the Rock, I think. 

Anthony Mackie is a New Orleans native, but The Rock?

I guess they've gotta spend the money on something since the players cannot get a dime.  

But OBJ did the unoriginal, and pulled "a LeBron" and bought Beats for the players.

27 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Anthony Mackie is a New Orleans native, but The Rock?

I guess they've gotta spend the money on something since the players cannot get a dime.  

But OBJ did the unoriginal, and pulled "a LeBron" and bought Beats for the players.

Ed Orgeron was The Rock's defensive line coach at Miami and the Rock credited him as a pretty big inspiration for him.

In a new profile, Sports Illustrated is taking a look at how playing football for Miami led Johnson to a successful career in wrestling and ultimately Hollywood superstardom. When it comes to finding the drive to overcome life’s challenges, Johnson thinks back to his days of playing for Orgeron.

“People saw the cockiness, but no one knows how hard we worked,” said Johnson, who played for the Hurricanes from 1988 to ’92. “There was an accountability there, and Coach Orgeron was a big part of that. In games it seemed as if those offensive linemen were holding us on every play. Coach didn’t care. I complained one time, and he got in my face and said, ‘They can hold you, they can kick you in the balls, they can f—— spit in your face—are you going to cry about it or are you going to overcome that and make the play?’ That’s bigger than football, man. That’s a whole worldview.”

IUe6Hvh.png

The Mountain West new media deal Terms Sheet actually looks favorable to them

ANNUAL FOOTBALL COVERAGE

• CBS Networks:

• 23 games on linear CBS or CBSSN.

• Minimum of three (3) games annually on CBS.

• Maximum of five (5) Friday windows, not including special dates.

• Ten (10) additional games available for CBS All Access or linear carriage.

• First seven (7) picks of MW-controlled games, then alternating selection with FOX.

• Rights to all Boise State Conference road games.

• FOX Networks:

• MW Football Championship Game on FOX or FS1. Game can be played Friday or Saturday

16-23 regular-season games.

• Minimum of seven (7) games annually on FOX or FS1.

• Maximum of five (5) Friday windows, not including special dates.• Rights to all Boise State home games.

• Maximum of four (4) Hawai’i games may be selected collectively by the two networks each year.

• Broadcast Windows:• Saturday Kick-Off: 11:00 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. (FOX)/8:00 p.m. (CBS) local time.

• Friday Kick-Off: 5:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. (FOX)/8:00 p.m. (CBS) local time.

And the basketball coverage adds more to the deal, plus it ends after 2026. 

The CBS part may have them take an early buyout from ESPN for their lame duck SEC portion too as that goes through 2023

Uh oh, we have officials from the Pac-12 tonight.

Referee: Chris Coyte
Umpire: Frank Villar
Head Linesman: Darryl Johnson
Line Judge: Dale Keller
Field Judge: Kevin Kieser
Side Judge: Clay Reynard
Back Judge: Joe Johnston
Center Judge: Jim Wharrie
Replay: Terry Leyden

As Mercury News' Jon Wilner noted in his morning email:

*Worth noting I: 

Coyte was involved in a highly-controversial incident at the 2017 Music City Bowl, when he ejected Kentucky running back Benny Snell for making contact with him.

It was an extremely poor decision by Coyte, who initiated the contact, then booted Snell for responding.

Even worse — much worse — was the backlash: Coyte received threatening calls, according to an ESPN report.

* Worth noting II: 

Two of the officials reportedly assigned tonight, Keller and Kieser, were part of the unfathomable blunder during the Cal-Washington State game this season.

Referee Matt Richards mistakenly marked off a penalty on WSU, leading to the Cougars losing 57 yards in field position. (They were not happy with how the conference handled the explanation.)

Richards was suspended for one game while the rest of the crew, including Keller (line judge) and Kieser (field judge), was “downgraded."

The Pac-12 selected the officials for tonight and determined their specific assignments, according to the conference.

Archived