2019 NCAA Football Thread

Tracy Jordan

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, willmorris said:

Part of me is hoping to see Trevor Lawrence become a four-time national championship, but he needs this one to do it.

He has the same likelihood of winning 4 national championships whether he wins this game or not.

Also, it feels like they've been playing this game for three days already and it's only halftime.

IUe6Hvh.png

So if fall semester ends in mid December, then theoretically there’s players that graduate and are no longer in school. Do they just hang out around campus rather than getting jobs so that they can play in this game?  I think it’s absurd that the season ends at the end of November, but the last game is being played on Jan 13 just because of bowl-schedule and tradition. This is what - the second game that these teams have played in 6 weeks? How does that make sense?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So if fall semester ends in mid December, then theoretically there’s players that graduate and are no longer in school. Do they just hang out around campus rather than getting jobs so that they can play in this game?  I think it’s absurd that the season ends at the end of November, but the last game is being played on Jan 13 just because of bowl-schedule and tradition. This is what - the second game that these teams have played in 6 weeks? How does that make sense?

Ideally they don't want more than 10 days between semi-finals and Championship but New Orleans had WizardCon last week so the original date of January 6 was scrapped. They were supposed to play on New Year's Eve, but moved the games to December 28 because it fit TV better. I still think when they up this to 8 teams ESPN needs to start dropping some of the bowls they own. They'll make more on those 4 extra games anyways.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/13/2020 at 10:37 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

So if fall semester ends in mid December, then theoretically there’s players that graduate and are no longer in school. Do they just hang out around campus rather than getting jobs so that they can play in this game?  

A few observations:

1. Joe Burrow graduated with his MASTER'S DEGREE from LSU in December (I believe Peyton Manning was in the same situation in his senior year).  Eligibility rules entitle him (and anyone else in his scenario) to play to the conclusion of the season; he need not be an active student to do so (classes at LSU were not to start until yesterday anyway, but Monday & Tuesday classes were cancelled/added to the end of year due to the championship game). 

2. The college basketball situation is worse, especially with the one-and-done rule.  Players enroll for the fall semester, do just enough work to make grades, then basically don't even bother to go to class in the spring semester, as mid-term grades don't come out until around March Madness tournament time. I have read and heard of countless incidents of this (most recently, Ben SImmons).

3. I recently completed an autobiography by Bob Stoops, No Excuses.  He described how after losing one of his college championship games in the early 2000s, he noticed quite a few of his better seniors and juniors (the ones who would be leaving for the draft)  not getting on the team bus after the game, but getting in private limos (rented by agents and such).  While he realized they had every right to do so as they were now done with college ball, he also noted that this confirmed what he felt, that those players weren't giving it their all DURING THE GAME; that they had mentally checked out and were just going through the motions in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  After that, he made sure that players on subsequent teams were focused on being "all in" in those games.  

4. Getting back to Joe Burrow; he had already gotten a bachelors degree, a master's degree, won the Heisman, is the consensus NFL number one pick. His future is set....  To listen to some on this board (and in the media, social and professional) there was no reason for a player like him to play in the playoff game or national championship game, and he was a sucker to do so: "he is just one injury away from not being able to collect millions of dollars; look out for number one".  But as the consummate TEAM player, he played anyway, and led his team to the championship.

We need more Joe Burrows in college football. 

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Getting back to Joe Burrow; he had already gotten a bachelors degree, a master's degree, won the Heisman, is the consensus NFL number one pick. His future is set....  To listen to some on this board (and in the media, social and professional) there was no reason for him to play in the playoff game or national championship game, and he was a a sucker to do so. "he is just one injury away from not being able to collect millions of dollars; look out for number one".  But as the consummate TEAM player, he played anyway, and led his team to the championship.

Firstly, congrats. LSU is fun as hell and one of the few SEC fan bases for whom I'm always unabashedly happy. Side note: I'd never heard it until Georgia got their asses handed to them in Baton Rouge last year, but "Neck" quickly surpassed Bama's "Rammer Jammer" as the most demoralizing thing you can hear. It was amazing that they played it in a national championship.

Did anyone really say that about Joe Burrow? He's had a dream season, and it's unimaginable that he would've hung it up prior to the post season. I understand the argument that some make against players going through meaningless bowls or even the idea that Trevor Lawrence has nothing left to prove, but it would have been utterly bizarre for Burrow to walk away from the greatest season a player has ever had.

PJU85JF.png

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

4. Getting back to Joe Burrow; he had already gotten a bachelors degree, a master's degree, won the Heisman, is the consensus NFL number one pick. His future is set....  To listen to some on this board (and in the media, social and professional) there was no reason for him to play in the playoff game or national championship game, and he was a a sucker to do so. "he is just one injury away from not being able to collect millions of dollars; look out for number one".  But as the consummate TEAM player, he played anyway, and led his team to the championship.

These are the same idiots that say Lawrence should sit out next year , then enter the draft with no new tape since yesterday.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

A few observations:

1. Joe Burrow graduated with his MASTER'S DEGREE from LSU in December (I believe Peyton Manning was in the same situation in his senior year).  Eligibility rules entitle him (and anyone else in his scenario) to play to the conclusion of the season; he need not be an active student to do so (classes at LSU were not to start until yesterday anyway, but Monday & Tuesday classes were cancelled/added to the end of year due to the championship game). 

2. The college basketball situation is worse, especially with the one-and-done rule.  Players enroll for the fall semester, do just enough work to make grades, then basically don't even bother to go to class in the spring semester, as mid-term grades don't come out until around March Madness tournament time. I have read and heard of countless incidents of this (most recently, Ben SImmons).

3. I recently completed an autobiography by Bob Stoops, No Excuses.  He described how after losing one of his college championship games in the early 2000s, he noticed quite a few of his better seniors and juniors (the ones who would be leaving for the draft)  not getting on the team bus after the game, but getting in private limos (rented by agents and such).  While he realized they had every right to do so as they were now done with college ball, he also noted that this confirmed what he felt, that those players weren't giving it their all DURING THE GAME; that they had mentally checked out and were just going through the motions in a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  After that, he made sure that players on subsequent teams were focused on being "all in" in those games.  

4. Getting back to Joe Burrow; he had already gotten a bachelors degree, a master's degree, won the Heisman, is the consensus NFL number one pick. His future is set....  To listen to some on this board (and in the media, social and professional) there was no reason for him to play in the playoff game or national championship game, and he was a a sucker to do so. "he is just one injury away from not being able to collect millions of dollars; look out for number one".  But as the consummate TEAM player, he played anyway, and led his team to the championship.

I think the flip side to the argument you're referring to would be "How would NFL teams look at a player sitting out the BuyCrapNow Bowl even if it is meaningless? Are these players going to sit out regular season games with no meaning when they go pro?" I completely understand why a player would sit out, but I don't think the angle of a GM/Owner is thought of much.

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

A few observations:

Response to #3.  I read a book from 2004 called "Every Week A Season" where the author (Brian Curtis) spends a week each with nine college coaching staffs. None of those nine was Ole Miss or Mississippi State, but he relayed a story about the Egg Bowl...apparently after the game players on whichever team(s) don't go to the bowl are seen being picked up in cars, never to go back to campus...I think not just NFL hopefuls but others who just played out eligibility.  It's kinda too bad that someone would not want to get those credits by sticking around (with food, room/board) for the next month.  

#4.  I never heard anyone say that about Burrow...but given the NCAA, the money being brought in, and the players not getting paid, I think if people are saying this, it's kind of an over-the-top reaction to the NCAA and the money situation.  It's not necessarily a great situation, but it would be sad to see someone skipping out on a national title run.  We saw Bryce Love sit out the Rose Bowl...but that's an exhibition.  If Burrow had sat out these last two games just to stick it to the NCAA or because of the possibility of injury, I question whether he'd have felt good about that decision in the long run.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I think the flip side to the argument you're referring to would be "How would NFL teams look at a player sitting out the BuyCrapNow Bowl even if it is meaningless? Are these players going to sit out regular season games with no meaning when they go pro?" I completely understand why a player would sit out, but I don't think the angle of a GM/Owner is thought of much.

The "what will the GMs think?" is always brought up as the argument against sitting out exhibitions. Talent seems to always win out. I can't recall anyone tumbling down the draft board because they refused to play in the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl. NFL players do "sit out regular season games with no meaning." Half the league doesn't play on Week 17. It's too violent of a sport to suit up and just go through the motions. It says absolutely nothing negative about a player's character when they pass on the "opportunity" to ruin their livelihoods for the sake of some blowhard fans being able to buy a bowl champions hat. 

Also:

PJU85JF.png

Final AP poll

1. LSU 15-0
  2. Clemson 14-1
  3. Ohio State 13-1
  4. Georgia 12-2
  5. Oregon 12-2
  6. Florida 11-2
  7. Oklahoma 12-2
  8. ALABAMA 11-2
  9. Penn State 11-2
  10. Minnesota 11-2
  11. Wisconsin 10-4
  12. Notre Dame 11-2
  13. Baylor 11-3
  14. Auburn 9-4
  15. Iowa 10-3
  16. Utah 11-3
  17. Memphis 12-2
  18. Michigan 9-4
  19. Appalachian State 13-1
  20. Navy 11-2
  21. Cincinnati 11-3
  22. Air Force 11-2
  23. Boise 12-2
  24. UCF 10-3
  25. Texas 8-5

Others receiving votes: Texas A&M 54, Florida Atlantic 46, Washington 39, Virginia 28, Southern Cal 16, San Diego State 13, Arizona State 12, SMU 10, Tennessee 8, California 6, Kentucky 2, Louisiana 2, Kansas State 2, Louisiana Tech 2, North Dakota State 2

I'm glad Joe Burrow had a nice time but I wouldn't have faulted him for sitting. Not at all.

Funny how it's a TEAM up until paychecks are handed out.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just gonna post here about Missouri State football because usually there's not any good reason to talk about Missouri State football. It's an FCS program that's already been run into the ground. Repeatedly. 

The university just announced it's hiring Bobby Petrino. Press conference tomorrow morning.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

54 minutes ago, Maroon said:

Just gonna post here about Missouri State football because usually there's not any good reason to talk about Missouri State football. It's an FCS program that's already been run into the ground. Repeatedly. 

The university just announced it's hiring Bobby Petrino. Press conference tomorrow morning.

The other candidate was reportedly Art Briles. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The other candidate was reportedly Art Briles. 

There was a report that it was Art Briles that came out at about the same time as the initial reports about Petrino. It was all very confusing. But reporters reaching out to Art were told that he never had any discussion with Missouri State about the position. It now appears that Briles was never actually a candidate, but that a source to FootballScoop had incorrectly told them that he was a candidate. Naturally, some people are hypothesizing that Art's name was leaked to lower the floor so that Petrino looked clean by comparison.

And Petrino somewhat makes sense. Our AD was at Louisville at the same time as Petrino's first stint there. Also, our university president is a lifelong Razorbacks fan.

An odd aside to all of it was that a local Springfield reporter received a text from somebody claiming to be Art's wife, expressing disapproval that the article the journalist had written about the rumor of Art's hire mentioned the scandal at Baylor. Just bizarre. 

EDIT: With the press conference with Petrino today, university's President Smart said in no uncertain terms that Briles was never considered. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Just to update the current list, until Bob Stoops and/or Urban Meyer come out of retirement:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL ACTIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP COACHES

1. Nick Saban, Alabama (2017, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2009)(2003- LSU)
  2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2016, 2018)
  3. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M (Florida State, 2013)
  4. Les Miles, Kansas (LSU, 2007)
  5. Mack Brown, UNC (Texas, 2005)
  6. Ed Orgeron, LSU (2019)

Highest number it's been in a while.....

It is what it is.

Archived