The Canadian Football League: The Future

johnnysama

11 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I personally think the CFL is doing just fine. Being the only league in its style of gridiron football helps it a lot... I hope that the expansion to the Maritimes works out for them and maybe, expand to Victoria, BC and Windsor to help even it out.

Honestly, as a CFL fan, I'd love to see a couple more markets come to be but it's not going to happen. Assuming the Schooners happen that will be it. I can't realistically see another city coming into the fold. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Honestly, as a CFL fan, I'd love to see a couple more markets come to be but it's not going to happen. Assuming the Schooners happen that will be it. I can't realistically see another city coming into the fold. 

Quite likely

As much as Victoria & the Okanagan get mentioned they don't really have the population base.

And adding a team in Saskatoon --while they may be able to support two teams, it would have ramifications for the Riders who draw from across the province.

Plus a team in Halifax (Or anywhere in the Maritimes) would balance out 5 & 5 for the divisions.

Some marketing ideas have helped, but mostly keep it affordable, even if only in some sections of the stadium, with some areas that are booze free for families, and promotions with the schools--those things do help & aren't the total response needed, but if they are continued & grown well--they will help even more.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Do the citizens of Quebec City even care about football enough to think about a franchise there? NHL comes first (if that'll happen in our lifetime) of course. Quebec Citadelles (Yes, ripping off the defunct hockey team) always sounded like a good name for a CFL team in Quebec City. 

Probably not, Canadian football seems more like a western thing, by and large, but there's nowhere left to go in the west, unless you wanna get bold and try for Spokane.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The CFL is the only (semi?) major league in the northern 2/3rds of North America that hasn't been over-epanded to where half the teams in the league have no discernible personality.

They tried to expand into the US, it didn't work.  The XFL will fail.  Again.  The CFL just needs to embrace what it is, get a decent US television deal, and it will become the off-season football league that American audiences have been clamoring for.  Sort of.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Probably not, Canadian football seems more like a western thing, by and large, but there's nowhere left to go in the west, unless you wanna get bold and try for Spokane.

Butchart Gardens 

13 hours ago, Wings said:

Do the citizens of Quebec City even care about football enough to think about a franchise there? 

I admit I'm far from an expert on this but I do know this:

Laval University has a successful program that seems to be popular but I'm not sure what that that really means. Their stadium is about 12,000. Not nearly big enough for CFL.

In terms of population, the city is similar in size to Hamilton. So it could be argued that it's a big enough city (then again, Hamilton being so close to Toronto and the Metro area being something like 6 million people is always the counter-argument). 

End of the day; I don't recall ever hearing of someone with money trying to make it happen in Quebec City so I doubt it will happen. 

Again, I'd love it but I don't think it'll happen. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

From what I have been reading, the Atlantic Schooners will be one of those things (along with stadium deals for the Oakland A's and Tampa Bay Rays and a stadium for Inter Miami CF) that will only actually happen when we see it actually happen.  In other words, I won't believe that there will be an Atlantic Schooners until they actually kick off. 

It doesn't help their cause when Anthony LeBlanc is involved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, mr.negative15 said:

I admit I'm far from an expert on this but I do know this:

Laval University has a successful program that seems to be popular but I'm not sure what that that really means. Their stadium is about 12,000. Not nearly big enough for CFL.

In terms of population, the city is similar in size to Hamilton. So it could be argued that it's a big enough city (then again, Hamilton being so close to Toronto and the Metro area being something like 6 million people is always the counter-argument). 

End of the day; I don't recall ever hearing of someone with money trying to make it happen in Quebec City so I doubt it will happen. 

Again, I'd love it but I don't think it'll happen. 

The margins aren't really there.  People look at the books of the public franchises like Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan and see it is hard to make money in the CFL.

New stadiums really assist in SASK and WIN making money, while the Eskimos is basically run on the margins.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:42 PM, GDAWG said:

For the Canadians on this board: I read that Randy Ambrosie wants the foreign leagues that they have partnered with to go from 4 down American football to 3 down American football.  Is that a good idea or bad idea? 

I'm not Canadian (live in Colorado), but I think it's a great idea for those leagues. Let's be honest, it's highly unlikely any of those players are going to get a single sniff to come to the United States and play NCAA or NFL football. Yea, there may be an outlier here or there but I think the opportunities for those players and those leagues will be better if they are synergistic with Canadian rules. 

Whether you like NFL or not, it's incredibly accessible. that (1st and 10> under the QB is all you need to know to pick up whats going on in any game in about a half a second.
That's doesnt seem to be in the CFL, so I spend more time trying to figure how what's going on when I turn into an already going CFL game because you have to listen for the announcer or watch the scoreboard for a second.

I feel like there is some simple things the CFL could do to improve. Ad the little tag under the QB, just do it.

Also, with an outdoor game, could they just light stadiums better?

7 minutes ago, iBrockely said:

Whether you like NFL or not, it's incredibly accessible. that (1st and 10> under the QB is all you need to know to pick up whats going on in any game in about a half a second.
That's doesnt seem to be in the CFL, so I spend more time trying to figure how what's going on when I turn into an already going CFL game because you have to listen for the announcer or watch the scoreboard for a second.

I feel like there is some simple things the CFL could do to improve. Ad the little tag under the QB, just do it.

Also, with an outdoor game, could they just light stadiums better?

Part of that is the distance away from the fields and the age of the stadiums. I've never had an issue with following the CFL games down and distance because they generally use ESPN  graphics, even if they are the older ones. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, Skycast said:

for many positions they require a different type of athlete.

Over the years there have been many successful NFL players go to the CFL and bomb...return to the NFL and then have productivity.

1) what positions require a different type of athlete?  I fail to see how an NFL receiver isn't the "type of athlete" needed to be a receiver in the CFL.

2) Examples?

On 8/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, johnnysama said:

The CFL's game is NOT inferior to the NFL's.

Do you mean just the style of the game, or do you mean talent/quality of play?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/14/2019 at 2:42 PM, GDAWG said:

I read that Randy Ambrosie wants the foreign leagues that they have partnered with to go from 4 down American football to 3 down American football.  Is that a good idea or bad idea? 

I'm not even convinced three-down football is a good idea. Four downs is more intuitive in terms of Rule of Threes, which sounds daft at first until you consider that it's functionally three chances at a new set of downs, with the fourth chance being at extreme peril. Two effective downs and a punt is weird.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived