Sign in to follow this  
johnnysama

The Canadian Football League: The Future

Recommended Posts

 

11 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I personally think the CFL is doing just fine. Being the only league in its style of gridiron football helps it a lot... I hope that the expansion to the Maritimes works out for them and maybe, expand to Victoria, BC and Windsor to help even it out.

 

Honestly, as a CFL fan, I'd love to see a couple more markets come to be but it's not going to happen. Assuming the Schooners happen that will be it. I can't realistically see another city coming into the fold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

 

 

Honestly, as a CFL fan, I'd love to see a couple more markets come to be but it's not going to happen. Assuming the Schooners happen that will be it. I can't realistically see another city coming into the fold. 

Quite likely

As much as Victoria & the Okanagan get mentioned they don't really have the population base.

And adding a team in Saskatoon --while they may be able to support two teams, it would have ramifications for the Riders who draw from across the province.

 

Plus a team in Halifax (Or anywhere in the Maritimes) would balance out 5 & 5 for the divisions.

Some marketing ideas have helped, but mostly keep it affordable, even if only in some sections of the stadium, with some areas that are booze free for families, and promotions with the schools--those things do help & aren't the total response needed, but if they are continued & grown well--they will help even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the citizens of Quebec City even care about football enough to think about a franchise there? NHL comes first (if that'll happen in our lifetime) of course. Quebec Citadelles (Yes, ripping off the defunct hockey team) always sounded like a good name for a CFL team in Quebec City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not, Canadian football seems more like a western thing, by and large, but there's nowhere left to go in the west, unless you wanna get bold and try for Spokane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CFL is the only (semi?) major league in the northern 2/3rds of North America that hasn't been over-epanded to where half the teams in the league have no discernible personality.

They tried to expand into the US, it didn't work.  The XFL will fail.  Again.  The CFL just needs to embrace what it is, get a decent US television deal, and it will become the off-season football league that American audiences have been clamoring for.  Sort of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Probably not, Canadian football seems more like a western thing, by and large, but there's nowhere left to go in the west, unless you wanna get bold and try for Spokane.

 

Butchart Gardens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wings said:

Do the citizens of Quebec City even care about football enough to think about a franchise there? 

I admit I'm far from an expert on this but I do know this:

Laval University has a successful program that seems to be popular but I'm not sure what that that really means. Their stadium is about 12,000. Not nearly big enough for CFL.

 

In terms of population, the city is similar in size to Hamilton. So it could be argued that it's a big enough city (then again, Hamilton being so close to Toronto and the Metro area being something like 6 million people is always the counter-argument). 

 

End of the day; I don't recall ever hearing of someone with money trying to make it happen in Quebec City so I doubt it will happen. 

 

Again, I'd love it but I don't think it'll happen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have been reading, the Atlantic Schooners will be one of those things (along with stadium deals for the Oakland A's and Tampa Bay Rays and a stadium for Inter Miami CF) that will only actually happen when we see it actually happen.  In other words, I won't believe that there will be an Atlantic Schooners until they actually kick off. 

 

It doesn't help their cause when Anthony LeBlanc is involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Canadians on this board: I read that Randy Ambrosie wants the foreign leagues that they have partnered with to go from 4 down American football to 3 down American football.  Is that a good idea or bad idea? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, mr.negative15 said:

I admit I'm far from an expert on this but I do know this:

Laval University has a successful program that seems to be popular but I'm not sure what that that really means. Their stadium is about 12,000. Not nearly big enough for CFL.

 

In terms of population, the city is similar in size to Hamilton. So it could be argued that it's a big enough city (then again, Hamilton being so close to Toronto and the Metro area being something like 6 million people is always the counter-argument). 

 

End of the day; I don't recall ever hearing of someone with money trying to make it happen in Quebec City so I doubt it will happen. 

 

Again, I'd love it but I don't think it'll happen. 

 

The margins aren't really there.  People look at the books of the public franchises like Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan and see it is hard to make money in the CFL.

New stadiums really assist in SASK and WIN making money, while the Eskimos is basically run on the margins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this