Rights for fonts in 2K?

I'm creating some logos and wordmarks that I hope to use in NBA 2K20. I'm wanting to download some fonts, but I don't know about the rights. Can I use a font that's listed as for personal use, given that the finished product is going into for-pay product (albeit not my own), and that other players can download the designs I use it for?

rATMcmK.png

15 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I'm creating some logos and wordmarks that I hope to use in NBA 2K20. I'm wanting to download some fonts, but I don't know about the rights. Can I use a font that's listed as for personal use, given that the finished product is going into for-pay product (albeit not my own), and that other players can download the designs I use it for?

Nobody will come after you for fonts in a video game. You're not making money off it. 

At worst you'll get a C&D, but the probability of that is incredibly low. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Nobody will come after you for fonts in a video game. You're not making money off it. 

At worst you'll get a C&D, but the probability of that is incredibly low. 

NBA 2k and WWE 2K have both been sued over tattoos.  Would this be the same thing?  Nobody is buying the games because of the tattoos, but that didn't stop the tattoo artists from suing.

The chances of the rights holder to the fonts even knowing about them being used is probably pretty small, though.

4 hours ago, M4One said:

NBA 2k and WWE 2K have both been sued over tattoos.  Would this be the same thing?  Nobody is buying the games because of the tattoos, but that didn't stop the tattoo artists from suing.

The chances of the rights holder to the fonts even knowing about them being used is probably pretty small, though.

The 2K games are making money off of all aspects of the games though. Buyers are paying money for the “realistic” experience, which encompasses tattoos. 

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The 2K games are making money off of all aspects of the games though. Buyers are paying money for the “realistic” experience, which encompasses tattoos. 

If the tattoos are removed or replaced with generic gibberish, similar to how hockey masks are in EA's NHL, nobody is going to demand their money back or refuse to buy it because of that.  If LeBron James' tattoos were replaced with generic tattoos, would anyone even notice them?

1 hour ago, M4One said:

If the tattoos are removed or replaced with generic gibberish, similar to how hockey masks are in EA's NHL, nobody is going to demand their money back or refuse to buy it because of that.  If LeBron James' tattoos were replaced with generic tattoos, would anyone even notice them?

Yeah, probably lol. There are some people on Operation Sports forums who notice everything. 

Archived