hettinger_rl

On 9/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, hettinger_rl said:

Thanks everyone!

Up next is the first full-body mascot in the group, because the head alone would look quite odd.

Miami Dolphins:

spacer.png

Maybe add the old M on to the hat?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, neo_prankster said:

@hettinger_rl

I don't know if you remember the NFL Huddles mascots from the mid 80's, but the Packers' Huddle guy had an apron and some drawings had him carrying a string of sausage, subtly referencing the meat packing roots of the name.

a8e24ee1a1f746aaa6497027f7285a2f_front.j

I have the whole set that I bought from Avon (believe it or not!). Now just have to find it somewhere in my house?

On 9/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, WideRight said:

Really hoping you do a Bills one soon. 

So for the Buffalo Bills I drew up this Buffalo Bill Cody mascot first. Then I got to thinking about how that is disconnected with most of their imagery, so I used the Cody image to create a buffalo mascot too. Not sure which one I like better though.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

26 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

So for the Buffalo Bills I drew up this Buffalo Bill Cody mascot first. Then I got to thinking about how that is disconnected with most of their imagery, so I used the Cody image to create a buffalo mascot too. Not sure which one I like better though.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

I get the idea of the Cody logo, but the blue Buffalo is too good not to use. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, bhutchcraft89 said:

You have to go Navy don't you as that's cowboys color?

It is, but there is a sizable camp of people that believe that the Cowboys should choose between navy and royal since they use navy for their dark uni and royal for their white.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Wow, hettinger!...I'm gonna echo everyone's comments in saying... great idea for a series, fantastic work, and keep it coming please.

You've captured Evans' style perfectly...the gleam in the eye, the expressions, the hats/caps, and the line weight...

(Not an easy thing to do because I imagine Evans worked in brush and ink, and I'm guessing you're creating these lines with a vector tool?...)

Anyway, great work and looking forward to seeing the rest!

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, BigRed618 said:

For the Packers, how about a something like a butcher? Remember the team was named after a meat packing company.

I can't find a picture, but the Packers had a butcher logo in the mid-70s. I'm not sure I've ever seen it outside of the Packers yearbooks from that era.

Perhaps @Gothamite knows what I'm talking about?

Butcher logo?  Hmm.

The only thing I can think of is the Huddles mascot in the mid 80s. This was an NFL-wide promotion, with people in costumed suits and stuffed toys. It was mostly about selling the stuffed toys. Animal mascot teams were easy; the Packers had “Packy Packer”, a butcher. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Other than that, I can only think of two examples, and I doubt that either is what you’re thinking of. In 1961, the Rams had a series of program covers by Los Angeles Examiner editorial cartoonist Karl Hubenthal, showing a Ram facing off against the opponents. The Packers were represented by a butcher. 

spacer.png

On every other cover, the Rams prevailed.  

spacer.pngspacer.png

But against the Packers, even the hometown artist showed them getting slaughtered.  On the cover of their own programs. 

The last one isn’t really a logo, but a souvenir.   To commemorate their 1961 championship, the Packers sold an engraved meat cleaver:

spacer.pngspacer.png

But that’s all I can think of. They should absolutely lean in to the meat-packing iconography. 

Terrific series so far, man! Kinda hard to pick a favorite honestly, they're all great logos in their own right, but cheeseman V2 hits hard.

(Also can I just say how awesome those program covers are? Sweeet.)

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived