Tennessee Volunteers Adopt Bullied Student’s Homemade Logo As T-Shirt Design

SportsLogos.Net News

Tennessee Volunteers Adopt Bullied Student’s Homemade Logo As T-Shirt Design

September 9, 2019 - 15:09 PM

The University of Tennessee adopted a bullied elementary school student’s homemade shirt as an official university design after it went viral on social media last week.  Students at Tallahassee’s Altamonte Elementary were encouraged to wear their favorite team’s gear to […]

Read More...

THEY STOLE HIS DESIGN!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Exactly. Great story BUT they need to pay the kid if they are selling his design. Yes I'm old and cynical, but the University's benefit from this by donating proceeds to some organization greatly outweighs the benefit to the child or his family. They should do the right thing and pay the child a portion of the proceeds as well. 

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

When you're 0-2, you gotta create a distraction for the alumni and fanbase.

This is accurate. When your program has been in a rut, any potentially positive PR move will silence critics for about a week or so. It's also good cushioning should a scandal break out. Heck, wouldn't Baylor have killed to have pictures of Carlton Dotson and Patrick Dennehy working with kids (I intended to have that pun)? 

On 9/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, hawk36 said:

Exactly. Great story BUT they need to pay the kid if they are selling his design. Yes I'm old and cynical, but the University's benefit from this by donating proceeds to some organization greatly outweighs the benefit to the child or his family. They should do the right thing and pay the child a portion of the proceeds as well. 

On 9/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, MattMill said:

Some proceeds? And the bully classmates get to enjoy the gear too?

They did the little kid dirty. 

The university will offer him a full scholarship if he gains admission.  Because, of course it's college, we cannot exactly give him cash in exchange for his work.

The University of Tennessee is lighting the way for the young Vol fan who made his own UT T-shirt.

In recognition of the fourth-grader’s Volunteer spirit, the university has extended an offer of honorary admission for him to join the Class of 2032. In addition, he has been awarded a four-year scholarship covering his tuition and fees beginning fall 2028 should he decide to attend UT and meet admission requirements.

Alumni, fans, and honorary Volunteers have stepped up in response to this story. So far, more than 50,000 shirts featuring the boy’s design have been pre-sold by the VolShop. All proceeds from the sale of the shirts will go directly to the charity Stomp Out Bullying. The university will cover the cost of the scholarship separately. Orders will begin shipping later this month.

University officials have spoken several times with the boy’s mother, who has expressed gratitude to the university and said the family has been deeply touched by the overwhelming outpouring from people around the world.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:02 PM, SFGiants58 said:

This is accurate. When your program has been in a rut, any potentially positive PR move will silence critics for about a week or so. It's also good cushioning should a scandal break out. Heck, wouldn't Baylor have killed to have pictures of Carlton Dotson and Patrick Dennehy working with kids (I intended to have that pun)? 

Well, when your coach says this on Monday...you need to again change the focus, thus the scholarship was offered to the 4th grader

"I think ‘Titanic’ came out maybe when I was in college. When the boat starts going down, remember all the mice running to the top, right? We have had a few that left our program, but you will figure out who wants to be a Tennessee Vol and who don't. I can tell you this: I want to. I know the standards and expectations that we have and the men on our staff and the character that we have. You will see the best of the players at Tennessee throughout the year.”

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

This is great news. Not sure where the "we cannot exactly give him cash" stuff is coming from. Are we to believe that universities don't pay for the designs they are selling? 

8 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

This is great news. Not sure where the "we cannot exactly give him cash" stuff is coming from. Are we to believe that universities don't pay for the designs they are selling? 

It was in reference to the student-athletes not being paid but for Full Cost of Attendance.

Archived