Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

simtek34

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

I would implement the use of the "overbuilt' custom facemasks in the NFL.

It's fun, interesting, looks phenomenal, and gives the players that use them a trademark.

It’d be interesting to see if this would effect the number of facemask penalties. Ideally, lowering the average.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It’d be interesting to see if this would effect the number of facemask penalties. Ideally, lowering the average.

Wow. Great point. I never thought of that. Less room between the bars on the facemask means less chance for an opponent to get their hand in there. 

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No conference logos anywhere. Conference logos should be reserved for Super Bowl endzones.

Usually I agree, but the Colts have the problem of a short word in tall letters. What else do you put in that endzone space? Horseshoes, I guess, or try to fit "Indianapolis Colts" in both endzones?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Usually I agree, but the Colts have the problem of a short word in tall letters. What else do you put in that endzone space? Horseshoes, I guess, or try to fit "Indianapolis Colts" in both endzones?

My ideal Colts centre-field logo is their helmet logo. And the Colts have a very retro old-timey feel to them, despite playing in a modern football palace. So I would say INDIANAPOLIS in one endzone and COLTS flanked by blue horseshoes in white circles in the other. Or you can change one of the horseshoes out with a NFL logo.

An addendum to my NFL field design rules list.

The Raiders are allowed to use AFL logos anytime they want because :censored: everything.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

My ideal Colts centre-field logo is their helmet logo. And the Colts have a very retro old-timey feel to them, despite playing in a modern football palace. So I would say INDIANAPOLIS in one endzone and COLTS flanked by blue horseshoes in white circles in the other. Or you can change one of the horseshoes out with a NFL logo.

The Raiders are allowed to use AFL logos anytime they want because :censored: everything.

I can't find a clean picture of it, but one of the funniest things in terms of field design I can remember in recent times was in 2015, when the NFL was celebrating 50 years of the Super Bowl and wanted all 32 teams to make the 50 yard line indicator gold...the Raiders were holding off on doing that, and didn't do it for their first home game, but they did it in time for their second game, while simultaneously slapping huge AFL logos in each endzone. 

For their on-field struggles, that's one organization that is never not on-brand.

spacer.png

On 10/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I'm basically fine with any former AFL team who still uses traditional AFL-era uniforms (or substantially similar as judged by me) to use the AFL logo. So Raiders and Chiefs are fine, but not the Jets since the change. I suppose I'd allow the Bills if they appealed.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Only exception I'd insist on would be the Indians in navy hats and red undershirts, so they can have the contrasting jersey/undershirt as a trait of their own. Navy undershirts would improve the Red Sox immensely. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, DiePerske said:

This one just hit me, and im willing to entertain debate on it.

Baseball: Undershirts/accessories must be the primary color of the cap. Exceptions: White while wearing a white jersey.

I'm trying to think of a good exception to this, and I can't.

And white caps should be banished to the pits of hell, so we can scrap that exception on those grounds.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, DiePerske said:

This one just hit me, and im willing to entertain debate on it.

Baseball: Undershirts/accessories must be the primary color of the cap. Exceptions: White while wearing a white jersey.

I don't really like that idea. I enjoy the bits of contrast they provide. I think in a lot of cases its a good idea, but not enough to make it a mandate. 

58 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I'm trying to think of a good exception to this, and I can't.

And white caps should be banished to the pits of hell, so we can scrap that exception on those grounds.

Orange for Giants/Orioles, Red for Dodgers, Baby Blue for Rays, and plenty more for alternates.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but for soccer, all boots should be either black, white or team colors.  No pink, orange or highlighter yellow boots (unless, of course, that's your team color).  Same goes for goalkeeper gloves. 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, msubulldog said:

An addendum to what i posted a few weeks ago:  After clinching a championship or other victory in an immediate playoff series, all players will do interviews in full uniform and not in "championship" t-shirts.

Heck, yeah!  The moments right after you win a title are when you should be most proud of your uniform.  It's especially bad in baseball, where players even swap out their real caps for these silly generic ones.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Football uniforms must include lower white socks, and upper socks that are different colour or design than the pants and the lower socks.

Football uniforms may have white pants AND white jerseys, but when that happens there must be non-white upper socks.

Except for white/white combo as above, football uniforms must never have same colour pants and jerseys.

Football players are forbidden to show bare skin between upper socks and pants, and between lower socks and shoes.

All sports:

Players must wear suits to and from the stadium.

Less of this:

45c9f051ebd1249c799915d7eb2b15f8.jpg

More of this:

auston-matthews-and-mitch-marner-of-the-

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Baseball: White at home, gray (or sand/powder blue) on the road, and you can wear color alternates on Sundays and maybe one more day a week, if I like you.

We've been playing in the same kinds of uniforms for decades, and now we're getting all hip and modern and I don't like it. Get off my lawn and go put on a white shirt.

MLB

- Teams can opt out of silly Players Weekend or holiday uniforms by donating to a related charity.

- No blue v. blue or red v. red or similar color v. similar color. Other than that, please wear alternates from time to time. Baseball is a long season. Besides the Yankees and Dodgers, a splash of color is OK.

NBA

- White/light at home.

- No color v. color. It's hard on the eyes.

NFL

- One helmet, except for throwbacks that can be worn twice per year.

- No color v. color. It's hard on the eyes and can only make officiating worse.

NHL

- White at home.

- No color v. color. It's hard on the eyes, hard for people who are working at games, and would be a nightmare for equipment managers. Anybody who advocates for teams bringing multiple uniform sets on the road is ignorant of what EMs do and how complicated that would be.

NCAA Football

- Actual knee-high socks like in the NFL. The ankle socks look stupid and messy.

- TV numbers. Jerseys look incomplete without them.

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Evidently not for the majority of viewers.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm going to call this rule, the Washington Nationals rule, since they are the most recent example.  While MLB teams can wear their alternate jersey both at home and on the road during the playoffs, it can't be the same hi jersey for both.

Archived