simtek34

Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

This is interesting. Let's see here:

Universal:

• No ads on jerseys, including soccer. It looks stupid, and teams don't need the money that badly.
  • Special holiday uniforms are dumb, and shouldn't exist. I wouldn't even put patches on for certain days.
  • For sports with jersey scripts (basketball, baseball, etc.) no wearing the nickname on the road. The road uniform must have the city/state name on it, and the home uniform can have either. The team playing represents the city when on the road, not just the organization. They need to represent that fact.
  • No alts in the playoffs, ever. This includes throwbacks.
  • Every team should have one (1) designated home and away uniform. They may also have one (1) alt of a team color, as well as one (1) throwback.
  • No BFBS or GFGS. It looks awful literally every time it has been used.

NFL:

• Change the one-helmet rule to a two-helmet rule.
  • I don't mind some of the Color Rush jerseys, but they need to be the designated alt. Monochrome uniforms are fine.

NBA:

• White at home, colored on the road. No exceptions. (Even the Lakers. The purple can be an alt.)
  • Courts must match any jersey being worn. For example, any throwback jersey must have a throwback court to match.
  • Shows should be team colors. No exceptions.
  • The only thing that can be on the front of a jersey is a script that says either the team's name or the city/state's name. No giant logos on the front, no stupid nicknames (Buzz City, Rip City), just a name and number.
  • City/state names must be just that, no nicknames for geographic locations. This literally only applies to the Warriors, but I hate the name "Golden State" so much I'll put it in as a rule.

MLB:

• I don't mind if a team has a colored road jersey, but it needs to be designated as such. Japan does this for some teams, and they look beautiful when done right (specifically the Hiroshima Toyo Carp, who have an excellent red road jersey). 
  • Color vs. color must be previously approved by the league. I don't want to see the navy Astros taking on the navy Indians with only the pants to distinguish them. 
  • I'll echo the point about helmets and hats matching. It just looks nice.
  • NOB is required for road uniforms. Opposing fans might not know the players, and it creates a standard.

NHL:

• White at home, colored on the road. Why is this not the standard?
  • The crest must be the primary logo, excepting throwbacks.

To piggyback off of QueenCity, I can't believe I didn't think of the stupid "Buzz City" or "Rip City" things. Those should NEVER happen.

I also would add NOB to ALL uniforms, and they have to be ABOVE the numbers on the back.

Going back to my affinity for color vs. color, I'd rather see mascot names on all jerseys, or in the case of collegiate sports, the name of the university.

People should realize that I was being sarcastic about the tucked jersey.  Jerseys should not be tucked, unless it's like how Wayne Gretzky did it.

On a more serious note, teams, regardless of the sport, should have a max of 3 jerseys, with an exception being allowed for a 4th vintage jersey that could be worn a max 4 times.  

No ads.

Numbers on jerseys should not be just a white outline.  Everything should be legible.

The NBA should go back to actual home/away designations, while still allowing for colour vs. colour games.  There also must be an even, or close to an even split of games for the two primary jerseys.  

The coloured jersey is the home in the NHL.  The switch was made for a reason: alternates being mostly all coloured.  (Let's not just brush off this significant detail).

NFL: alternate uniforms would now be allowed to use completely different designs from a team's base set, like they often are in the other major leagues.

I've said it before, but I figure if, say, a traditional team is considering an out-there redesign, instead of having to commit to a set their fans might end up hating, it'd be better to trial it as a third, see how everyone reacts to it.  Maybe it remains an alt, maybe it goes the way of the dodo, maybe you see a late 90s Blues style redesign based off of it. 

Football - Home team wears dark jerseys, road team wears light.

Basketball - Home team wears light jerseys, road team wears dark. Alternates on weekends only, limited to one alternate.

Hockey - Dark at home 1st half of the season, whites at home 2nd half of the season. One alternate can be dark or white, but must be worn in that half of the season at home.

Baseball - Whites at home, greys on the road. One alternate to be worn on Fridays on the road and Saturdays at home. One patch on left sleeve. Right sleeve for anniversary, all-star and memorial patches. I'm looking at you Arte Moreno's Angels.

6 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The crest must be the primary logo, excepting throwbacks.

For the NHL, there is only one team that doesn’t do this... The New York Rangers. Given the diagonal script is kinda their thing, what are you talking about? 

NHL: Team chooses whether to wear colored or white at home, away team wears a jersey of different color, can be color on color. Can help to enforce an identy.

Examples: Winnipeg can go with white jerseys to build on their White Out brand and the flames can wear red at home to fulfill their motto of C of Red. Everybody's happy

1 hour ago, GT Designs said:

NHL: Team chooses whether to wear colored or white at home, away team wears a jersey of different color, can be color on color. Can help to enforce an identy.

Examples: Winnipeg can go with white jerseys to build on their White Out brand and the flames can wear red at home to fulfill their motto of C of Red. Everybody's happy

Teams are not going to lug around 2 sets of uniforms, which is why they switched to the coloured jersey for home, since most alternates are coloured.  This can only work in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Teams are not going to lug around 2 sets of uniforms, which is why they switched to the coloured jersey for home, since most alternates are coloured.  This can only work in the playoffs.

An extra helmet can easelly fit into the players' equipment bag, so can the other pair of socks and a shell for the pants if needed The jerseys can be folded up into an extra players bag or a crate like some teams do

54 minutes ago, GT Designs said:

An extra helmet can easelly fit into the players' equipment bag, so can the other pair of socks and a shell for the pants if needed The jerseys can be folded up into an extra players bag or a crate like some teams do

That’s still unnecessary expenses when you are talking about shipping something from one place to another saving space and weight will cut down on the costs. 

35 minutes ago, dont care said:

That’s still unnecessary expenses when you are talking about shipping something from one place to another saving space and weight will cut down on the costs. 

There are barely any extra costs, helmets are light and easy to pack so they dont take up much space, socks too. Jerseys weigh a litte but not enough to make a difference. 

7 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

For the NHL, there is only one team that doesn’t do this... The New York Rangers. Given the diagonal script is kinda their thing, what are you talking about? 

To be honest, I'd forgotten about the Rangers. This rule was meant to apply to alternates mostly, so I suppose the Rangers could get an exemption for this.

3 hours ago, GT Designs said:

There are barely any extra costs, helmets are light and easy to pack so they dont take up much space, socks too. Jerseys weigh a litte but not enough to make a difference. 

Over 42 times a year doubling the amount of equipment that needs to be shipped is an additional expense the owners don’t want to pay. It’s unnecessary to have to pack extra end of story.

Above all else, no ads or manufacturer's marks. Can't be said enough.

If no name on back, number needs to be adjusted up to compensate so it's centered.

Tangential: all score bugs have to be colored with the main jersey color that the respective team is currently wearing. Intuitive and improves functionality 100%. Also standardize soccer to follow the home is right/bottom convention. The proper abbreviation for Washington DC is WSH, not WAS.

7 hours ago, GT Designs said:

If it is so easy, then why don't they do this already?  Why did they make the switch?  Equipment managers already have a lot to do, they don't need to lug around extra stuff if they don't need to.  For special occasions it's okay, but for every road trip, it makes no sense.

For baseball, I'd say a dark colored top can only be worn once during any 3 or 4 game series, and both teams can never wear dark tops at the same time. Also, the pants can't end any lower than the midpoint between ankle and knee.

uniforms, colors, and logos can be put up for a vote of protection. this would be held annually and voted on by all owners with a certain majority (say 80%) needed to pass. once a teams identity elements has been granted protection it cannot be voted against or changed thereafter, unless it involves a trademark infringement, disparaging imagery, or the like.

so, for example, if the Raiders uniforms were to be granted protection and the team, Nike, or NFL suggested those uniforms be altered, they could not carry that out. its locked in, thats your identity, you’re welcome

14 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

uniforms, colors, and logos can be put up for a vote of protection. this would be held annually and voted on by all owners with a certain majority (say 80%) needed to pass. once a teams identity elements has been granted protection it cannot be voted against or changed thereafter, unless it involves a trademark infringement, disparaging imagery, or the like.

so, for example, if the Raiders uniforms were to be granted protection and the team, Nike, or NFL suggested those uniforms be altered, they could not carry that out. its locked in, thats your identity, you’re welcome

Interesting concept, although I feel like this would never happen. There's no way that any Big 4 owner pass up on the opportunity to make more money by making more jerseys.

1 hour ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Interesting concept, although I feel like this would never happen. There's no way that any Big 4 owner pass up on the opportunity to make more money by making more jerseys.

id like to keep options open for alternate uniforms and logos; this idea would apply to primaries 

No facemasks in any colour that isn't a team colour. This includes grey.

Teams in every sport are allowed a maximum of 4 uniforms a year. That includes special event jerseys, tribute nights, whatever. 4 is more than enough. That gives you enough room for a home, road, third AND a throwback if you so desire. Anything else is superfluous and dumb.

Every NFL and NHL team is required to have at least one secondary logo. You aren't necessarily required to have it on the uniform itself, but it must be in circulation for team uses, as seeing the same logo plastered multiple times on certain things does get redundant and weird looking.

I would also add a 'uniqueness' clause where team's have a monopoly on certain colour schemes and templates. The entire point of this would be that each team has its own unique individual identity. I feel like that should be promoted as much as possible. I know this sounds difficult and hard to do but there would be a lot of leeway and grandfathering in and all that. For example, if the Arizona Cardinals wanted to switch to a black helmet, that would be rejected as it would make their look too similar to Atlanta.  Also, any new uniforms submitted to the league that feature a design shift away from an identity associated with the team to something that significantly resembles the branding of another team would not be allowed. For example the Tampa Bay Lightning's uniforms would not be approved, as they're dropping an existing colour scheme and template to one that looks too similar to the Leafs. I guess the exception to this would be baseball, as most teams look essentially the same anyway.