Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

simtek34

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2019 at 10:30 PM, neo_prankster said:

If jersey sponsors are the new norm in the NBA....

CoverCard-NBASponsoredJerseys-Horizontal

I would put Jerry West back on the front of the jersey, above the jersey manufacturer logo.

Champion-NBA-logo-Patches.jpg

Rather than on the back above the nameplate (below).

san-antonio-spurs-jersey-patch.jpg

If sponsors become the norm, I'd put them in the back. Switch them with them NBA logo.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

MLB

Stirrups, high socks, or long pants are the only three options. Each sock must be uniform across the team, and may only contain a solid color or a typical striping pattern.

White at home and grey on the road. One day a week may be dedicated to a color jersey. Grey/white alts are permitted, but cannot be work more than 20 games each.

NHL

Color v color is permitted, with teams allowed to choose to wear white or colored jerseys at home and on the road. If a conflict exists, it is the duty of the home team to change. This prevents the road team from carrying around two sets of equipment.

Soccer

Socks must be worn in a traditional manner, and cutting off the bottom to wear grip socks is now banned.

Ads are limited to four on the uniform. Front, sleeve, and below the numbers on the jersey and front panel of the shorts.

NBA

White cannot be worn on the road. Three jersey max.

NFL

Socks cannot match the pants without significant striping on both items and half of the sock must be white in color.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Universal

- No ads except for the MLS. They can keep them. NBA has enough places on the courts with ads of different companies. Stop invading.

- No speciality uniforms (no GFGS, no BFBS, no fathers day, mothers day, veterans day, independnce day, no breast cancer, no jackie robinson, no pride uniforms, no gimmicks, nothing). Just home, away, 1-2 alternates (throwbacks included).

- League logos on front (except MLB. Will be placed elsewhere). Manufacture logo allowed on the side or back at minimal size.

NBA

- White Uniforms at home. Yellow ones granfathered in for home (Lakers, Warriors, Cavs, etc.). Dark/Colored uniforms on the road.

- Team specific warm ups RETURN! Other apparel (shooting shirts, headbands, etc) will be generic.

- Team colored sneakers are required. No more random colored sneakers.

- Oh yeah, NO MORE ASSOCIATION, ICON, CITY, PRIDE, MUNICIPALITY jersey designations. Jist sinple Home, Away, Alternate, Throwback will do.

NFL

- Facemasks must be team official color. No more gray masks (unless gray is an official color)

- Team socks cannot be the same color as team pants

- During the seasons, six weeks will be designated as "Rivalry weeks" for divisional matchups. Teams will be allowed to wear throwbacks during these games.

MLB

- NO MORE MANUFACTURER ON HATS.

- White homes. Colored aways. No more colored vs colored.

NHL

- Eh.... the white home vs white away I'm indifferent to. Although I grew up with White at home so I guess that can go back.

- THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE: Ottawa must install the 2D Profile Senator logo as their primary logo! 😊

That's all folks.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Football (all levels)--Give officials the option of wearing white pants instead of black in August & September. 

Football (Jr High and above)--No more windbreakers (half or full sleeve) for coaches. Also no more long sleeve t-shirts for coaches when it is at least 80 degrees. It gets me seeing the HC in a long sleeve t-shirt when it's 95 degrees and the marching band members without their coats on in the stand. This kinda dovetails into my next suggestion.

Marching bands (high school & college)--To me seeing them in the stands wearing t-shirts and a glorified pair of overalls seems a bit tacky. I understand the need to be comfortable, so for warm weather and/or early season games I suggest at least one of the following:  a polo shirt with shorts, or a short-sleeve pullover blouse not unlike the long-sleeved ones many bands favored in the late 70s/early 80s.

Baseball (high school, college, minor league, wooden bat/summer/independent professional teams, and especially MLB)--Full uniform (yes that includes a jersey Aaron Boone, Terry Francona, et al). No more half or full-sleeve windbreakers; and especially no more hoodies or batting practice tops. Speaking of hoodies, this leads to my next point.

Baseball (all levels)--No more hoodies when it's 70 degrees or higher. What is the deal about wearing a hoodie in the dead of summer (eg triple digits in the soon to become former home stadium of the Texas Rangers)? I will allow any pitchers who get on base (for the time being this seems to only apply to the National League) the option of putting on a light windbreaker or something heavier in cooler weather (the same dispensation will apply to being in the dugout when not pitching).

Football (Jr High and above, something I overlooked earlier)--A polo shirt (short or long sleeve) will suffice for coaches. During cool/cold weather, I will allow them to add auxiliary equipment like sweatshirts, hoodies, parkas, turtlenecks, and sweater vests to this basic dress. And I would prefer the coaches to not necessarily wear a different color polo than the player's jerseys (Saban, for example). And NO hoodies when it is at least 70 degrees (Bellicheck)

MLB--No more specialty uniforms (Jackie Robinson Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Independence Day, and Player's weekend). A patch will be good enough for JR Day. Also on JR Day, umpires will wear their normal sleeve #s instead of 42 all around. I am not against color vs color matchups--as long as the teams wear different colored pants (white for home, gray for road). I am also not against monochrome uniforms (powder blue for example), as long as the other team wears either white or gray pants as appropriate; nor am I against teams like the Pirates wearing different colored jerseys & pants once a week. Any throwback (like the Astros "Tequila Sunrise" or the White Sox late 70s look) can only be worn once a week. And during the World Series (since it is always a prime-time game), base and outfield umpires will be in coats and ties. The plate ump can still choose his plate coat, windbreaer, or polo (short or long sleeve, black and not blue) a la the regular season. Another change for umpires I would suggest is that if it is comfortable enough, the base umpires can wear the same long sleeved polo that many wear when working the plate.

NBA--Home team will either wear white or a light color (Lakers in Yellow, Spurs in Gray for example), with the visitors in a dark contrasting color. Home team, however, may wear that dark contrasting color for no more than 10% of their home games, with the visiting time in white. Keep ASG uniforms simple (just "East" or "West" along with a number on the front, with last name and number on back), with the Conference whose home court is hosting the event in white--and the other one in a dark contrasting color that matches the color of the home court. For example, at an ASG in San Antonio the Western Conference stars will wear white--while their Eastern counterparts will wear black. Finally, no more funky names like "Association", "The Hood", "The Crib", "Big Apple", "The ATL", "Alamo City", or "The 305" on jerseys.

NFL--Teams can go "White at Home" up to two times in the regular season (Cowboys, Dolphins, Bucs, for example). Colored monochrome uniforms can only be worn at home ONCE in the regular season (Here's looking at you Saints, Panthers, Seahawks, Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Ravens, Browns, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Titans, Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers). A thowback(including a second helmet if the Bucs want to go Creamsicle, the Titans want to become the Oilers, the Redskins with the yellow Lombardi-inspired "R", for example) can be worn at home ONE time. Alternates that involve a color swap (Panthers' in Carolina Blue, Titans in Columbia Blue, Jaguars in Teal, Texans in Battle Red, et al) can be worn up to three times each regular season (and only once on the road). No white at home, alternates, throwbacks,  or colored monochrome during the post-season. Home team for the Super Bowl is determined by the conference of the host stadium (AFC in Miami Gardens, NFC in San Fran, for example), with the designated home team wearing their primary color jersey (but no monochrome pants) and the visiting team wearing white jerseys with their choice of pants. 

MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL--The only advertising allowed on jerseys will be limited to either the corporate sponsor of the home stadium (the Falcons and Saints with Mercedes Benz for example) OR a major corporation whose headquarters are within a 50 mile radius of the home city (Examples would be Coca-Cola or Delta for Atlanta-based teams, American Airlines or Exxon Mobil for Dallas-based teams, and Chevron or Levi Strauss for teams based in the Bay Area).

This is going to be fun...

Rule #1: Across all sports. If you are not Army, Navy, Air Force, or the Coast Guard (We once looked this up on BASS, the Coast Guard has teams), you are not allowed to wear camo uniforms of any type or any type of "military inspired" uniform. Period. We leave the military stuff the the players that earned the right to wear it. Non-Military teams that would like to do a tribute to the military can wear a patch or paint a tasteful tribute on the field. All patches and tributes must be approved by the Military before use. 

MLB:

1. Each team is allowed two alternate jerseys (one road and one home) and one throwback uniform. Teams may wear the appropriate alternate jersey once a week. Wearing one alt on Sunday and the other on Monday is not allowed. Throwbacks can be worn once a month and on Holiday weekends. All teams will supply the era appropriate throwbacks, complete with batting helmets, for their opponents for throwback games. No more clashing eras. 

2. Each team is allowed a home, road, and throwback cap. Batting helmets must match the respective caps. No exceptions.

3. Teams will establish the official shoe color for each uniform. Shoes must contain at least 75% of the team color. 

4. Batting gloves, wristbands, etc. must match the team color scheme. They can be a solid color as long as that color is part of the team's color scheme. Fielding glove and bat colors are subject to approval. No more seeing a Cleveland Indians player wearing neon green. 

5. Going forward the pink and blue used to support breast and prostate cancer will be limited to a small stripe on batting helmets and a patch on either the cap or the jersey. No more pink or blue bats. 

6. Players weekend uniforms are officially outlawed. The people in Williamsport want to see MLB teams in MLB uniforms. If they want to watch softball uniforms then they can go watch softball. 

MiLB:

1. With the exception of the following, all MLB rules apply to all Minor League teams.

2. Sorry, gang, but the "one-off" party is over. You are allowed one "one off" uniform per season. Use it wisely. 

NHL:

1. It's an 82 game season so we're splitting it up as follows - teams will wear white at home for half their home games. 

2. Each team is allowed a home and a road alternate jersey and one throwback uniform. Like in MLB, alternates can be worn once a week and the throwback once a month or on Holidays. Also like MLB, home teams must provide the era appropriate throwback for opponents - including helmets. 

3. As long as it isn't a "clash" match up; Habs - Panthers for example, color on color match ups are allowed. 

4. Gloves and goalie pads must be part of the official team color scheme. 

NBA:

1. Each team is allowed one home, one road, one alternate, and one "Hardwood Classic" uniform. Alternates can be worn once a week. Hardwood Classics can be worn once a month. Teams must provide era appropriate throwbacks for opponents. No more of this 7-8 looks per team nonsense. 

2. All wristbands, headbands, shooting sleeves, shoe colors, etc., must be part of the official team color scheme. 

NFL: 

1. The only acceptable monochrome version of a uniform is all white. Sorry, Seattle, New Orleans, et al, it's time to start looking like NFL teams again. 

2. In the interest of good taste (and people with color blindness) Color Rush uniforms are officially outlawed. Each Color Rush uniform will be examined for usable parts to possibly be integrated into a new uniform per rule #3.

3. Every NFL uniform will be examined and re-evaluated for aesthetic appeal. Any uniform deemed not worthy of being called an NFL uniform will be redesigned. (Again, looking at you Denver, AZ, CLE, TB, Cincy, Seattle, ATL, Miami, etc.)

4. All teams will be allowed to wear a throwback, or if you don't have a throwback, an alternate twice a season. For throwback games, the home team must provide era appropriate throwbacks for opponents. We'll either figure out a way to make a second helmet safe or we'll find a way to either vinyl wrap or paint current helmets to match the throwback when necessary. All facemasks in throwback games must be era appropriate. 

5. Socks must be a contrasting color of the pants and that color must allow for at least 4 inches of white below the color. No more blue pants with blue socks, etc. 

6. Wide receivers will be allowed to wear single digit numbers.

That's all I got for now. I may come up with more. Fire away. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I've got a few more memorial patch guidelines. These include:

• (aforementioned) No memorial patches for players who died in DUI's, especially if others died because of them. Overdoses are different, as they don't put innocent people in danger, unlike DUI's.
  • No more than two memorial patches at a time. If multiple people died during an offseason, make a combined memorial patch.
  • No permanent memorials on uniforms. That means the Raiders dump their "Al" sticker, the Lions drop "WCF" from their sleeves, the Chiefs eliminate the AFL patch, and even the Bears remove the "GSH" on their sleeves. 
  • Black armbands are an acceptable replacement for memorial patches in baseball.
  • Doing a day where everybody wears the number of a deceased player is OK.

I've got one for the NHL I've had in my head for ages cause the current set-up makes little sense: Last I heard, a team is only to allowed to wear an alternate a maximum of 15 times per season.... given a lot of teams are revealing 4th jerseys, I'd like to see the NHL force every team to have 4 jerseys (In other words, a Home Alternate & Away alternate) and have it be a 33/33/8/8 split. In addition, do the jerseys like this: 41 with colour at home, 41 with white at home, your choice for the playoffs given the other team you are facing agrees... with the 33/33/8/8 setup, the alternates would also flip for the final 4 games of the 41 left. 

It's such a simple fix, gives team more revenue with the extra sweater and would allow jerseys that would originally be one-offs such as a Heritage/Winter Classic or Stadium Series to be used as said 4th alt if desired. 

I mean, as an example.... Calgary would actually look good for 16 games this season under these rules and you'd get to see the whites more than just once (they might wear them after the HC, but you never know with this stuff). 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

addition, do the jerseys like this: 41 with colour at home, 41 with white at home

That’s a great idea....once the NHL goes to 164 games a season. I’m guessing you meant split the home dates equally between color and white. 

BB52Big.jpg

Related to above:

Leagues are forced to adopt either a primary/clash/alternate jersey system or a home/away one.

No more(cough chl and ahl) switching from white at home to color at home in the middle of the season.

Pick one and stick with it, or allow my preferred wear whatever, but require the home team to change in case of conflict(hockey mostly. NFL/NBA/MLB can deal with packing extra, not as much space needed)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 9/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, infrared41 said:

3. Teams will establish the official shoe color for each uniform. Shoes must contain at least 75% of the team color. 

4. Batting gloves, wristbands, etc. must match the team color scheme. They can be a solid color as long as that color is part of the team's color scheme.

Most of your rules are good. But any team should be able to elect to wear black shoes (white shoes for the A's) instead of shoes of a team colour.

While all players on a given team should wear shoes of the same colour, batting gloves and wristbands should be allowed to vary from player to player. And white (or black, I guess) should be allowed for any player, in addition to the team colours. You don't want to outlaw the normal white batting glove.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Most of your rules are good. But any team should be able to elect to wear black shoes (white shoes for the A's) instead of shoes of a team colour.

While all players on a given team should wear shoes of the same colour, batting gloves and wristbands should be allowed to vary from player to player. And white (or black, I guess) should be allowed for any player, in addition to the team colours. You don't want to outlaw the normal white batting glove.

1. That's fair.

2. They are allowed to vary. For example, the A's can wear green, gold, or white wristbands. Batting gloves should be white with either green or gold highlights or solid green or gold. The Indians can wear red, blue, or white with red or blue (or both) highlights. Hell, I'll even allow gray mixed with team colors, but if black isn't a part of a team's color scheme then the players can't wear black wristbands, etc. 

2.Yeah, I actually do. White batting gloves look awful. 

BB52Big.jpg

All sports: Wear whichever uniform you like, as long as you can differentiate yourself from your opponent.

Baseball: Stirrups must be visible. If ads are implemented, they must go on the sleeves only.

Football: Lift the one-helmet rule.

That’s all I can think of right now. Sorry I’m not a hard@ss like the rest of you.

Archived