Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

simtek34

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2019 at 11:28 PM, M4One said:

NHL jerseys must be tucked in.

Why? Then what would be the point of Waist Stripes on the jersey? That's the Beauty of Waist Stripes is that the bottom hem is actually seen on a Hockey jersey. Do Football or Baseball or Basketball jerseys have Waist Stripes? 

On 9/10/2019 at 9:45 PM, Wade Heidt said:

For the NHL, some people like the team wearing white at home.  Some like colour uniforms at home.

Why not do like they do in junior hockey?

Let's have the NHL teams wear dark jerseys at home prior to All-Star break, then white jerseys at home for second half of season and playoffs.

I'm one of those NHL White uniforms at Home type people! The NHL did the White and Dark at Home during the '91 / '92 Season, no reason they can't do it again! 
My suggestion would be: Odd years = Dark at home, Even years = white at home. I'm a jersey nerd and part of a group that has Pens season tickets,  would LOVE to see the Hawks come to PPG Paints arena wearing their Iconic Red, the Flames come to PPG Paints Arena wearing those Awesome 80s Red Retros, even though I am a Pens fan and supposed to hate everything Flyers but I miss the days when the Flyers came to down in those ORANGE uniforms. I feel if you alternate years, everyone can get to see each teams Home / Road / Alternate uniforms live and in person when they attend their teams Home games

On 9/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

uniforms, colors, and logos can be put up for a vote of protection. this would be held annually and voted on by all owners with a certain majority (say 80%) needed to pass. once a teams identity elements has been granted protection it cannot be voted against or changed thereafter, unless it involves a trademark infringement, disparaging imagery, or the like.

so, for example, if the Raiders uniforms were to be granted protection and the team, Nike, or NFL suggested those uniforms be altered, they could not carry that out. its locked in, thats your identity, you’re welcome

I like this idea

6 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Why? Then what would be the point of Waist Stripes on the jersey? That's the Beauty of Waist Stripes is that the bottom hem is actually seen on a Hockey jersey. Do Football or Baseball or Basketball jerseys have Waist Stripes? 

Why?  I'll tell you why.  Because I wasnt serious and was mocking Reebok's original plans for the edge jerseys.  The irony of that proposed plan is that a player can be penalized for tucking in their jersey.  I'm kinda surprised people took that as serious, considering how stupid that rule would be.

14 hours ago, M4One said:

Why?  I'll tell you why.  Because I wasnt serious and was mocking Reebok's original plans for the edge jerseys.  The irony of that proposed plan is that a player can be penalized for tucking in their jersey.  I'm kinda surprised people took that as serious, considering how stupid that rule would be.

Sadly too many people (especially the youngins) don't understand the aesthetics Waist Stripes bring to a Hockey Jersey.  These are the same youngins that though the Pens Rbk Edge Black / Khaki garbage uniforms '07-'16 were / are the Pens BEST uniforms

On 9/24/2019 at 12:47 PM, BigRed618 said:

All sports: Wear whichever uniform you like, as long as you can differentiate yourself from your opponent.

Baseball: Stirrups must be visible. If ads are implemented, they must go on the sleeves only.

Football: Lift the one-helmet rule.

That’s all I can think of right now. Sorry I’m not a hard@ss like the rest of you.

My favorite post in this thread. Some of these uniform rules are over-prescriptive to the point of me wondering if some of you would be happier just playing video games.

The calls to standardize shoe color in the NBA -- of all leagues -- seems especially tone-deaf. It's a sport built and celebrated on individual expression, and shoe culture is a huge part of that. I don't mind any of the NBA extra stuff -- the ninja headbands, the Supreme sleeves, etc. I think it's all fun.

The only thing that really gets my goat in modern sports uniform design is what Nike's done to the sanity of the NBA. I hate Association/Statement/etc designations, and I really hate watching games with the Lakers in yellow playing other teams in white. It's breaking tradition for the sake of breaking tradition, without any aesthetic benefit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

My favorite post in this thread. Some of these uniform rules are over-prescriptive to the point of me wondering if some of you would be happier just playing video games.

The calls to standardize shoe color in the NBA -- of all leagues -- seems especially tone-deaf. It's a sport built and celebrated on individual expression, and shoe culture is a huge part of that. I don't mind any of the NBA extra stuff -- the ninja headbands, the Supreme sleeves, etc. I think it's all fun.

The only thing that really gets my goat in modern sports uniform design is what Nike's done to the sanity of the NBA. I hate Association/Statement/etc designations, and I really hate watching games with the Lakers in yellow playing other teams in white. It's breaking tradition for the sake of breaking tradition, without any aesthetic benefit.

Indeed. A lot of this thread reads like: "Everything should be the way it was when I was a kid."

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'm going to agree with this in basketball for sure.

My only rules for basketball?

Yellow/white at home and whatever on the road, as long as it doesnt clash(same color, or yellow v white) light blue and navy can coexist as well

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

If it was up to me...

MLB:

-Each team has a home (main color), road (white) and alternate (secondary color). No more of this "special color" crap for Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc..

-During Player's Weekend (which would be the first weekend after the All Star Break), Teams are allowed basically go color vs. color for games. Nicknames on the jerseys stay.

-Each team has a maximum of 4 'Throwback Weekends' in which they can wear a throwback jersey.

NFL:

-Each team has a home (main color), road (white), alternate (secondary color) and throwback.

-One weekend a season is to be designated as 'Throwback Weekend', in which each team will be in their throwback jerseys.

NHL:

-Each team has a home (main color), road (white) and alternate (secondary color)

-The 'outdoor' games (New Year's Classic, Heritage Classic, Stadium Series) are color vs. color

-Each team has a maximum of 4 'Throwback Games'. For a team that has moved from a previous location, one of those games must be used for the team that you came from (For example, Carolina would use one of their games to basically wear the old Whalers gear)

NBA:

-Each team has a home (main color), road (white) and two alternates (City and Playoff. Each are in the team's secondary colors)

-Playoff jerseys are given to the teams that made the postseason the year before. Each team has the choice to either keep the old jersey or create a new Playoff version if they make it the following year. If not, then the current Playoff jersey remains in rotation until the team reaches the postseason once again.

College Football:

-NO MORE SCHIZO HELMETS!!! You either go with a logo on one side or numbers. Pittsburgh Steeler styled helmets (Logo on one side, blank on the other) are exempt from this rule.

I'm down on alternates in anything but baseball. On a continuum, I'd say they're okay in baseball, barely tolerable in basketball, bad in hockey, and completely unacceptable in football. (Lookit that, it tracks right with number of appearances.) So I'd say no thirds or fourths in the NFL. 

I don't see what'd be so bad about simplifying the shoe colors in football. It's part of the uniform, and an important part at that; "foot" is in the name of the sport and everything. I'd lock in the old-line teams on black cleats, the AFL teams on white cleats, and let the post-merger expansion teams do whatever they want. So if the Seahawks want to wear neon green shoes, that's cool, but the Bears and Packers should only wear black shoes and the Raiders and Chiefs should only wear white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, Echo said:

The Carolina Hurricanes wore a memorial patch for Steve Chiasson who died in a DUI incident.

It might be more OK to have a patch for people who didn't kill anybody else in their DUI, but I still don't think it's OK. When you are driving under the influence, you are putting the lives of everybody else on the road in danger, as well as pedestrians and people in roadside buildings. You don't deserve a memorial patch if you did that.

In regards to the DUI discussion, sometimes toxicology reports don't come back until long after the team would have memorialized a player. Tyler Skaggs' autopsy just recently was released. Should a team not wear a memorial and wait until the reports are released? 

What about Jose Fernandez? 

I understand the sentiment when stating this rule, but it doesn't really work. Grief is grief, regardless how a person died. No person deserves to die based on their life choices or circumstances. 

(Disclosure: I work at a non-profit that deals with unsolved homicides)

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

3 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

In regards to the DUI discussion, sometimes toxicology reports don't come back until long after the team would have memorialized a player. Tyler Skaggs' autopsy just recently was released. Should a team not wear a memorial and wait until the reports are released? 

Was he in a vehicle? If not, then it’s OK.

What about Jose Fernandez? 

It should have been taken off the minute the report came in. The team should have condemned his actions and scrubbed him from promotional materials.

I understand the sentiment when stating this rule, but it doesn't really work. Grief is grief, regardless how a person died. No person deserves to die based on their life choices or circumstances. 

True, but it’s a bit different when it’s a DUI. You are putting other people’s lives in danger by getting behind the wheel, including your own. Quite frankly, if you drive under the influence, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Ask the question about memorializing these people to individuals who have lost loved ones to drunk/intoxicated drivers. I’m sure they’d share the same attitude.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

True, but it’s a bit different when it’s a DUI. You are putting other people’s lives in danger by getting behind the wheel, including your own. Quite frankly, if you drive under the influence, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Ask the question about memorializing these people to individuals who have lost loved ones to drunk/intoxicated drivers. I’m sure they’d share the same attitude.

It’s still sad for the family of the drunk driver. Sometimes people make mistakes and sometimes that costs people their life. There is grace for that...

It’s not like adding a patch is supporting that act of driving while drunk. If anything it would be showing people how much it can mess up. And if a team were to support some agency or foundation against drunk driving, then that could help prevent it from happening in the future.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

NCAA Football

-A NFL-esque one helmet rule. Why? I want to see the (college football) world burn.

-You have to wear schools. It's the least they can do if we're going to pretend these programs are outgrowths of collegiate amateurism.

NHL

-Move the manufacturer mark to the back hem, like it used to be.

-Chisel "darks at home, whites on the road" in stone. The lone exception gets to be the Winnipeg Jets, who are allowed to wear white for the entirety of any playoff run they're a part of.

NBA

-Go back to the home/road/alternate/occasional throwback setup.

-Alternates and vintage uniforms to be worn on only pre-selected dates, probably on the weekends.

-Let the Lakers go back to being a gold and purple team.

-A ban on city/location nicknames on jerseys.

NFL

-Chisel the one helmet rule in stone.

-Monochrome, other than white jerseys and white pants, is banned.

-Go back to the previous sock rule.

-There must be contrast with the top of the sock and the pants.

-Enforce sleeve regulations.

-Move the manufacturer marks to the front of the jersey ala college football to give designers more room to work with on the sleeves.

MLB

-Outlaw whatever it is the Diamondbacks did.

-The button of a cap must always match the bill.

-Alternates should be worn sparingly, once a week...once a series at the absolute most.

-Same or similar coloured alternate jerseys should never be worn against each other.

-The Angeles have too man A-halo logos on their jerseys, they have to drop one.

😛

Archived