Buc

Rumor: Buccaneers to Get New Uniforms??

Regardless of where folks stand on the great pewter shading debate, it's painfully clear that the 97-13 set was one of the best rebrands ever.  Make no mistake, Bucco Bruce was NOT hugely popular amongst Bucs fans back then. The 1994 refresh, which cleaned-up and enlarged Bruce on the helmet and added the orange collar (to the white jerseys) and the dazzle-orange pants, was barely noticed.  Sure, a huge part of that was a decade of double-digit losing seasons, but the colors weren't exactly flattering for merchandising purposes.  The darkened red and pewter combo, with just a hint of orange, and pirate flag/ship logos were exactly with the Dr. ordered. All they had to do was some MINOR clean-up here/there to the logo, brighten the pewter on the helmets a little bit (which they did) and maybe thin out the black and/or modernize the pants striping and socks combo.  A gentle refresh.  But NOOOO.  Instead the completely pooped the bed with the clown show costumes they're wearing today.  It's embarrassing to watch the team play on the field week-in/out.  It's downright humiliating to see my team look like complete turds when they play like complete turds.  I've heard local talk/rumors about Bruce coming back in 2021...we'll see.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, the admiral said:

Dull? I mean, it is just brownish silver, warm grey in non-metallic applications. It's not boring, but it doesn't excite me, either.

It stinks in non-metallic applications.

When your team’s uniforms warrant an 18 page message board discussion on a rumor, you probably have a problem with your uniforms.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, Brian in Boston said:

think less Captain Blood and more Pirates of the Caribbean.       

Point of order...this is Orlando Bloom/Will Turner at the end of the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

MKfH2l6.jpg

Well that is when he was still trying to blend in with normal society to free jack. After this scene he fully embraces being a pirate and and his look changes to bandanas and more utilitarian clothing that fits working on a ship better.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Well that is when he was still trying to blend in with normal society to free jack. After this scene he fully embraces being a pirate and and his look changes to bandanas and more utilitarian clothing that fits working on a ship better.

Remember that Benjamin Hornigall raided a ship to steal that crew's hats because his guys got drunk and threw theirs overboard.

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Point of order...this is Orlando Bloom/Will Turner at the end of the first Pirates of the Caribbean.

MKfH2l6.jpg

When this segment of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl begins, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) is not considered a pirate in Port Royal. As Governor Swann (Jonathan Pryce) comments in the scene, "On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency." Further, Commodore Norrington (Jack Davenport) remarks to Turner, "I thought we might have to endure some ill-mannered escape attempt, but not from you."

It seems clear that Turner has been moving about and functioning as a fine, upstanding member of Port Royal society in this regalia.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

1 minute ago, Brian in Boston said:

When this segment of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl begins, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) is not considered a pirate in Port Royal. As Governor Swann (Jonathan Pryce) comments in the scene, "On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency." Further, Commodore Norrington (Jack Davenport) remarks to Turner, "I thought we might have to endure some ill-mannered escape attempt, but not from you."

It seems clear that Turner has been moving about and functioning as a fine, upstanding member of Port Royal society in this regalia.

To the point that Will is "blend[ing] in" with normal society? Nah. Check out these screenshots. That dude isn't blending in with anyone with that cape or that hat. He doesn't even seem to fit in with the more stuffy high society types

Secondly, the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was very much intended to be a classic pirate movie in the style of the Errol Flynn or Burt Lancaster pirate flicks. That changed in development obviously, but you can't look at that Will Turner costume from that final scene and not think Captain Blood. Or Bucco Bruce for that matter! And when you consider the visual language of film making regarding hero's journey type stories (which the first PotC film is)? Will's "look" in that movie is meant to show that he's accepted his call to action, and he is now a pirate. Will's journey is essentially complete. Keep in mind they had no idea this film was going to lead to a franchise. That was "the end" of the story as far as anyone was concerned when they filmed it.

Finally, my point here is to illustrate that there's more than one way to depict a pirate. Was the line between pirate and buccaneer always clear cut? No. Did many individuals slip from one to the other as needed? Yes. Was there a clear rule concerning what a pirate wore vs what a buccaneer wore? Eh...

Regardless? We've got two teams that have pirate-based names in the NFL. The older, more established one laid claim to the rough around the edges pirate imagery. Then the Buccaneers came along. While the distinction between pirate and buccaneer was not always clear cut, the fact is that the two bring to mind distinct sets of imagery. Accurate or not, the differences should be leaned into to give each team as distinct a look as possible.

And given the imagery the Raiders had already claimed? The Bucs were perhaps right on their first go to emphasize the more swashbuckling and dashing attributes associated with buccaneers.

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just say that you don't like Bucco Bruce. It can't be that hard.

I don't have a problem with "Bucco Bruce"... I have a problem with his headgear. Specifically, the asinine, oversized plume adorning it. It's nearly as large as the hat it's attached to, particularly in the original logo. To my eye, it draws too much focus from the buccaneer's face. 

Frankly, I rather like what McCarthy achieved with his update of the "Bucco Bruce" mark, though I'd still like to see the plume eliminated.   

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I don't have a problem with "Bucco Bruce"... I have a problem with his headgear. Specifically, the asinine, oversized plume adorning it. It's nearly as large as the hat it's attached to, particularly in the original logo. To my eye, it draws too much focus from the buccaneer's face. 

Frankly, I rather like what McCarthy achieved with his update of the "Bucco Bruce" mark, though I'd still like to see the plume eliminated.   

It's not asinine, it's good-looking. Most people here like the plume, since it balances out the design a bit and fits with the image they were trying to achieve. You don't need over 1,000 words to express this opinion.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

To the point that Will is "blend[ing] in" with normal society? Nah. Check out these screenshots. That dude isn't blending in with anyone with that cape or that hat. He doesn't even seem to fit in with the more stuffy high society types

Secondly, the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was very much intended to be a classic pirate movie in the style of the Errol Flynn or Burt Lancaster pirate flicks. That changed in development obviously, but you can't look at that Will Turner costume from that final scene and not think Captain Blood. Or Bucco Bruce for that matter! And when you consider the visual language of film making regarding hero's journey type stories (which the first PotC film is)? Will's "look" in that movie is meant to show that he's accepted his call to action, and he is now a pirate. Will's journey is essentially complete. Keep in mind they had no idea this film was going to lead to a franchise. That was "the end" of the story as far as anyone was concerned when they filmed it.

Finally, my point here is to illustrate that there's more than one way to depict a pirate. Was the line between pirate and buccaneer always clear cut? No. Did many individuals slip from one to the other as needed? Yes. Was there a clear rule concerning what a pirate wore vs what a buccaneer wore? Eh...

Regardless? We've got two teams that have pirate-based names in the NFL. The older, more established one laid claim to the rough around the edges pirate imagery. Then the Buccaneers came along. While the distinction between pirate and buccaneer was not always clear cut, the fact is that the two bring to mind distinct sets of imagery. Accurate or not, the differences should be leaned into to give each team as distinct a look as possible.

And given the imagery the Raiders had already claimed? The Bucs were perhaps right on their first go to emphasize the more swashbuckling and dashing attributes associated with buccaneers.

Visually, Will Turner inhabits a world somewhere between the rank-and-file citizenry of Port Royal and the community's high society. His vest, breeches, hat, socks, shoes... all are rendered in drab browns and tans, like the garments adorning the vast majority of the attendees at Jack's hanging. Where Turner's look has more in common with Port Royal's high society/military is in the plume on his hat (both Governor Swann and Commodore Norrington wear feather-bedecked headgear, as do one or two gentlemen in the crowd), his cape (the very notion of an accessory like a cape having more in common with such stylized accoutrements as powdered wigs, frock coats with facings and laced buttons and trim, etc.), and the color of his cape (the burgundy edging towards the red of the Royal Marines coats).

As for Will's "hero's journey" in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, as you point out, the makers of the movie "had no idea this film was going to lead to a franchise". As a result, at what they then considered the culmination of the story, was it categorically established that Will Turner was a pirate? While his "call to action" certainly saw him commit to helping Jack Sparrow escape, did that make Turner a pirate? In the world of the film, Will Turner doesn't elect to leave with Jack Sparrow and embark on a life of piracy. Rather, he drops his sword and simply states that his place is "between [Norrington] and Jack".  When Elizabeth Swann elects to stand by Will's side, her father - Governor Swann - orders the company of Royal Marines that are present to lower their weapons. Norrington, upon learning that Elizabeth is in love with Will, sadly and meekly accepts said situation. For all that viewers know at the conclusion of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Governor Swann's granting of clemency to Will Turner still stands, Turner is free to take his place amongst Port Royal society, and Elizabeth is free to fall in love with - and pursue a marriage to - Turner. Bottom line? The "end" of Will Turner's "hero's journey" at the conclusion of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl does not categorically establish Will as a pirate.

With regard to the Buccaneers hoping to adopt "as distinct a look as possible" from the established Raiders upon entering the NFL, was the presence of an oversized plume on the hat of "Bucco Bruce" a necessary component of doing so? Simply put, no. For starters, the Buccaneers' "DayGlo" color scheme of Florida Orange, Red and White was decidedly different from the staid Silver, Black and White palette used by the Raiders. Further, the Buccaneers opted to avoid utilizing a containment shape in their logo, while the Raiders' mark had framed the team's mascot within a shield since 1963. Additionally, the Buccaneers' emblem clearly depicted a figure from the 17th or 18th centuries, whereas the mascot in the Raiders' crest was sporting a mid-20th century football helmet. Oh, and the fact that the Raiders' logo actually contains the team's name within it makes it pretty unlikely that anyone was going to confuse the two teams.

In any event, we can agree to disagree on what would make for the best "Bucco Bruce"-focused visual identity for Tampa Bay's NFL franchise. I don't think that an oversized plume on the mascot figure's hat adds anything critically important to a visual depiction of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' mascot. On the contrary, I think it overburdens a mark that is already quite visually busy.

One thing is certain: something needs to be done regarding the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' current visual identity package, including their uniforms. Six seasons with the current look is enough. 

hLRxf39m7r1NnYHbQ4SHOQXSkxbfhAPdg2z8lHVFZAA.png?auto=webp&s=8c1c6f1c7b9f07f5274457ec6fcc323588b24801

Mr. Brian, this is a girl scout's meeting.

Is it? Or is it that you girls don't understand the mechanisms of Orlando Bloom's most notable non-Legolas role?

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's not asinine, it's good-looking. 

You're welcome to your opinion, just as I am welcome to mine.

Most people here like the plume, since it balances out the design a bit and fits with the image they were trying to achieve.

You see, I don't see the plume balancing out the design. I see it overburdening a mark that's already quite busy. I'm of the opinion that both the plume and a bit of the buccaneer's hair could be eliminated without doing anything to detract from effectively communicating the image that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization was trying to achieve.

You don't need over 1,000 words to express this opinion.

I have what I consider to be a very reasonable suggestion: You determine how many words you use to express your opinions in your posts, and I'll determine how many words I use to express my opinions in my posts.   

32 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

hLRxf39m7r1NnYHbQ4SHOQXSkxbfhAPdg2z8lHVFZAA.png?auto=webp&s=8c1c6f1c7b9f07f5274457ec6fcc323588b24801

Mr. Brian, this is a girl scout's meeting.

Is it? Or is it that you girls don't understand the mechanisms of Orlando Bloom's most notable non-Legolas role?

When do I get my lifetime supply of Duff?

1 minute ago, Brian in Boston said:

When do I get my lifetime supply of Duff?

Should I just stick it to your veins? ;)

Don't worry, mate. I'm just ribbing the long posts a bit. My posts are incredibly long when I have a bunch to say.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, Brian in Boston said:

You're welcome to your opinion, just as I am welcome to mine.

You see, I don't see the plume balancing out the design. I see it overburdening a mark that's already quite busy. I'm of the opinion that both the plume and a bit of the buccaneer's hair could be eliminated without doing anything to detract from effectively communicating the image that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization was trying to achieve.

I have what I consider to be a very reasonable suggestion: You determine how many words you use to express your opinions in your posts, and I'll determine how many words I use to express my opinions in my posts.   

I'm trying to read all your posts in my head using an obnoxious "Ted"-style Boston accent. The idea seems hilarious in theory but has failed to amuse me thus far.