Buc

Rumor: Buccaneers to Get New Uniforms??

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

He’s a staff designer at the newspaper. That’s the platform he has available to him, just as this message board is the platform we have available to us.

He also has this platform available to him. And if he is going to publish an article about it, he needs to present better content. I personally don't care about the execution of it, but the idea behind isn't that good (red/white stripes with black numbers is a terrible design that isn't legible) or original (looks like a soccer jersey or the Steelers bumblebee uniforms). Plus, like with anything, if someone is free to put stuff out there others are free to critique/criticize it. Especially if it is going to be published on a newspaper site. More is expected in a platform like that.

5 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

He also has this platform available to him. And if he is going to publish an article about it, he needs to present better content. I personally don't care about the execution of it, but the idea behind isn't that good (red/white stripes with black numbers is a terrible design that isn't legible) or original (looks like a soccer jersey or the Steelers bumblebee uniforms). Plus, like with anything, if someone is free to put stuff out there others are free to critique/criticize it. Especially if it is going to be published on a newspaper site. More is expected in a platform like that.

To be fair, he’s not pushing or publishing his own designs; the article was written by someone else and the paper is openly soliciting the content.

And again, critiquing work in the public sphere is perfectly valid. The original contention that said work has no business *being* in the public sphere (simply because someone doesn’t like it) is the issue.

5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

To be fair, he’s not pushing or publishing his own designs; the article was written by someone else and the paper is openly soliciting the content.

And again, critiquing work in the public sphere is perfectly valid. The original contention that said work has no business *being* in the public sphere (simply because someone doesn’t like it) is the issue.

Well he should have looked at it and gone “this looks like rubbish, the numbers are illegible, the away jersey wouldn’t be legal. I shouldn’t defile my reputation by even showing this to anyone else much less create an article about it where my name will be associated with it for all time.”

9 hours ago, San Diego said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

On one hand, a straight return to this would probably be unlikely, given the way the NFL operates (although the 49ers did return straight up to their 80s-era look, so there's that), but, o certainly wouldn't mind it at all. I doubt they'd being back that exact block number, given how number trends tend to go especially under influence of the Swoosh--I'd expect something closer to what they have now or what the Tennessee Titans and their backwards 1s have--but as long as they still get the same trim treatment as the above, at least the look and feel would be there. Also, I hope they do something about that overly gaudy present logo when they do change. But yeah, though my nostalgic attachment is for the orange I grew up with, I do acknowledge that objectively speaking the above is the more likely solution--and I'd be just as fine with that, too.

(And if not for the league's silly one-helmet rule, we'd still get to see the creamsicle throwbacks once a season, but that's pretty much a nonstarter at this point.)

Just felt like randomly mentioning the fact that the NFL introduced that rule the week before the Bucs’ 2013 game against Arizona...

...a game which was originally scheduled to be the throwback game...

...which was the reason I bought tickets to it.

Still haven’t gotten over that.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:15 AM, dont care said:

Well he should have looked at it and gone “this looks like rubbish, the numbers are illegible, the away jersey wouldn’t be legal. I shouldn’t defile my reputation by even showing this to anyone else much less create an article about it where my name will be associated with it for all time.”

You get no where in life thinking like that. It's a harmless concept, that won't even be considered for the actual uniforms. It's ok to not like it.

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

You get no where in life thinking like that. It's a harmless concept, that won't even be considered for the actual uniforms. It's ok to not like it.

You also get nowhere in life when you overlook clear flaws in a design that wouldn’t make it even possible to be a real concept.

On 12/8/2019 at 7:03 PM, unimaniac said:

Interesting, if nothing else. You can’t say he wasn’t thinking outside the box. 

On 12/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, San Diego said:

Guys, I got it. The perfect Bucs set. Wheh, that was hard. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Agreed.  Never have understood why they went from top-notch NFL-looking unis to 3rd-teir arena league like they did.  Nothing says "Buccaneers" like 1970's Texas Instruments calculator numbers.  Geez,

On 12/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, San Diego said:

Guys, I got it. The perfect Bucs set. Wheh, that was hard. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don’t care for the black socks on the 1997 set. Black was, what, their fourth color? That’s my only real gripe though. 

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I don’t care for the black socks on the 1997 set. Black was, what, their fourth color? That’s my only real gripe though. 

I thought the same thing.  Maroon socks would look much better.

15 minutes ago, unimaniac said:

The next one in the Tampa Bay Times series

At this point, it’s obvious that they’re just having fun with it.

Also, apologies to anyone who’s unable to see these due to the paywall.  I haven’t been running into it for some reason.

Or maybe they realized everyone laughed at the striped one so they decided to lean in and pretend it was a troll series all along.

1 hour ago, unimaniac said:

The next one in the Tampa Bay Times series

Also, apologies to anyone who’s unable to see these due to the paywall.  I haven’t been running into it for some reason.

Some pee wee team will be wearing that first design. And it will be followed by like 20 fire emojis. 

1 hour ago, unimaniac said:

Was that ever in question?

I LOVED the creamsicle Bucs...those uniforms endeared me to the terrible Bucs of the 1980s. I think the color scheme is unique and the small amount of red played really nicely with the orange (I think I said this is another thread) kinda like an orange version of the Irish rainbow. Top-5 all-time NFL uniform for me.

When they finally announced a change, the biggest surprise to me was that it took so long.  I knew these uniforms were mocked.  Bad team wearing really loud uniforms.  So I was glad they held out as long as they did. Nevertheless, I was still disappointed.  That said, I have to admit that I was really impressed with the new look.  Unique but still managing to look generally like classic football uniforms (traditional-ish block numbers, pants stripes, etc).  Then they win the Super Bowl and 20 years in, the uniforms are becoming a "modern classic."  So what do they do?  They introduce a steaming pile of crap with a college-like giant logo and gimmicky numbers. 

And now we're left to hope for what...that they can mitigate the issues?  Obviously, the alarm-clock numbers are going away. But even so, are they likely to ever be a team with a solid look (like, say the sturdy if unspectacular Panthers or Texans) again? Or are they destined to be the Jaguars?

I know people find stuff like this "lazy" but I honestly think their best move to to go back to the modern classic look.  Just bring the directly back and let them drift back into being a modern classic again.  I say this as a lover of the creamsicles that would personally be ecstatic if they brought those back.  But in 1997(?), they had their look.  They nailed it.  Just bring it back like Coca Cola Classic (i.e., admit the mistake).

My guess, they'll bring back something better than what they currently have, but not as nice as what they dumped; hopefully not trying too hard to please everyone.  They'll also have white helmets so they can throw back to Bucco.  At least that annual game will be cool to see.