kiwi_canadian

CFL Rugby Redo

So a while back I did a sort of "what if" series where the CFL stayed as a rugby competition rather than changing to football. There was a lot of sublimation that was not met with kindness. Needless to say, I've gone back and began to redo this series. So quick background again, I stuck with Adidas as the league wide kit supplier and all teams will have a home, away and signature kit. League logo is on one arm and Budweiser as the league sponsor is on the other. I'll be posting them as I get them done as it is taking longer to complete them this time around. Right now, I've got three teams done so they will be the first ones posted.

First up is the Montreal Alouettes. I pretty much stuck with their current football uniforms and transferred them over to rugby. They work really well and they have started to grow on me. They are simple and I think that's what I like about them. Their signature kit is the military theme one they had the last few years which I really enjoyed. The standard 3 stripes have taken a back seat (literally) as I have either left them off the kit completely or kept them on the back of the shorts.

spacer.png

H7ddpMX.jpg

QAC1yEh.jpg

BC Lions:

I took inspiration from their 1974 uniforms and went with the stripped look on the arms. Kept the kits simple on them and it has a very rugby style look to them. The orange really stands on against the black and has a really Meraloma Rugby Club vibe to them (current rugby club in the lower mainland). For the signature kits, I have a soft spot for their signature kits from a couple years ago. I really like the black and gray with orange piping (yes I know the dreaded piping). I felt it worked here for the kit and right now is the only kit with the 3 stripes on the arms.

tbiX7qY.jpg

1um1SF7.jpg

ewUupOI.jpg

Hamilton Tiger-Cats: For the Ti-Cats, I also looked back at their history and went with a hoop design like they had back in 1935. I decided to avoid the black and yellow hoops and go with the black on dark shale scheme instead. I kept the 4 yellow stripes on the arms to keep with the Ti-Cats tradition and carried that look down to the socks as well. For the signature kit, I took inspiration from the Leicester Tigers tiger pattern away kit back in the mid to late 2000's. I went with the black and dark shale again on it as I didn't want it to be overwhelming on the eyes as I was originally going to go with yellow and black.

ZYKBRMU.jpg

qMcWvir.jpg

zTQSBFX.jpg

I will get to the rest as I get to them but for now, enjoy the first 3 teams. My personal favorite is the Ti-Cats home but that's just me. Let me know what you think.

13 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

This is NICE. One thing, shouldn’t the uniforms be new era based? Nice job!

I kept it with Adidas as New Era doesn't do rugby... and thank you.

Next up is the Toronto Argonauts. They actually started as a rugby club so went with their rugby club logo from way back. The home and away kit have a very Cardiff Blues style to them as they are probably one of the best examples of blue on blue rugby kits out there. They signature kit is a simple rugby league style kit with the front chevron.

eWTIse9.jpg

8me3546.jpg

g98Y8P9.jpg

Winnipeg Blue Bombers are next. Went with their original logo which was more rugby like a rugby logo. Very traditional rugby style here. Went with the Bombers striping on the arms and carried it all the way around the jersey. For the signature kit, took the inspiration from their old signature jersey but swapped the body and arms around.

Wwk5qvN.jpg

JYBG9Ji.jpgJ483AC7.jpg

All of the Ontario teams are now complete. The Ottawa RedBlacks was one that was not well done when I originally did it. This time I went with the vertical pin stripes on the home and away to keep is somewhat consistent with Ottawa Fury FC (also owned by the same group). Went with the RedBlacks plaid pattern on the arms of both home and away but kept them to sort of blend with the entire jersey. For the signature, I went with the plaid pattern all the way through.

uxnbXlx.jpg

3869z8m.jpg

WV9ej7y.jpg

C & C always appreciated.

The first of the two Alberta based teams, the Edmonton Eskimos. Went with league style jersey with them as I felt it worked well for a simplistic design. For their signature, I went with something based off of their current signature jersey. C&C as always is appreciated.

InQNxcM.jpg

XI3QUlE.jpg

LOWa3iv.jpg

The penultimate team, the Calgary Stampeders. With the Stamps, I went with a design inspired by their 1948 design. For their signature jersey, I went with a western shirt style jersey as it is home to the most prestigious rodeo in North America. C & C as always.

azXbQmb.jpg

3d3nEm1.jpg

QY8omRl.jpg

The final team in the CFL in my rugby redo... The Saskatchewan Roughriders. Went with their 1970's uniform as inspiration for their home and away and I went with the sublimated wheat look on their signature kit but unlike my original one, I went with the dark shale on black so it's more subtle. C & C as always.

dOQSDnP.jpg

pEga1Cm.jpg

W7eupcj.jpg

Although this is the last team, I am thinking about doing some specialty kits for certain events like Orange Shirt Day or Breast Cancer/ Prostate Cancer Awareness Days.

Just now, sportsfan7 said:

Great Series. Any chance you'd do the Schooners?

There is a very good chance that this will happen

Hands down, bar nun, CONCEPT OF THE YEAR.  1st and foremost, you actually finished the entire league!! You should get an award just for that... 2nd these are gorgeous.  Calgary and Saskatchewan are my least favorite but they are still better than 90% of the boring crap posted anymore.  3rd, the presentation is wonderful.  Best template I have seen in a while.  Would love to see other sports copied off of it. The background, logos, sponsors, well thought out.  Just a GREAT all around effort.

21 hours ago, omnibus said:

Hands down, bar nun, CONCEPT OF THE YEAR.  1st and foremost, you actually finished the entire league!! You should get an award just for that... 2nd these are gorgeous.  Calgary and Saskatchewan are my least favorite but they are still better than 90% of the boring crap posted anymore.  3rd, the presentation is wonderful.  Best template I have seen in a while.  Would love to see other sports copied off of it. The background, logos, sponsors, well thought out.  Just a GREAT all around effort.

Thank you. The template is from Sports Templates and they have a ton of templates for various sports. While I am finished the current league, I'm working on the Atlantic Schooners for the last of the teams (as they are planning on playing in 2020 or 2021) and was thinking of doing some special event jerseys as well.

7 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Thank you. The template is from Sports Templates and they have a ton of templates for various sports. While I am finished the current league, I'm working on the Atlantic Schooners for the last of the teams (as they are planning on playing in 2020 or 2021) and was thinking of doing some special event jerseys as well.

Please do! I am curious to see what you come up with!

All teams are finally done. The last is the expansion Atlantic Schooners. I took inspiration off of the new Welsh kit with the quadrant design. The 4 sections represent the 4 provinces that are represented by the Schooners. I really like how the brass colour works with the dark blue, especially on the home kit. As always C & C are appreciated. The last few I'll end up doing will be specialty kits for sponsored event nights and for those, teams will all have the same template with the logo changing for each team... but as for teams, it is done.

UKEXa2y.jpg

s2sVd52.jpg

VAIImIF.jpg

These are the final kits for this series and I'm planning on doing 6 specialty kits. These kits would be for charity auctions and what not and would have no ads on them. The first 2 up are the cancer awareness jerseys. I went with the breast cancer (pink and black) and the prostate cancer (blue and white) awareness kits. All teams would use the same template for each and only have the team logo replaced. On the back for where the name would go has the name of the person the player is playing for. I also added the #ruckcancer for the rugby world's cancer awareness tag. The next ones will be a military appreciation kit, an orange shirt day kit and a couple of other ones that I can't seem to recall at the moment. C & C as always.

SeGaLJI.jpg

GZEkrBn.jpg