Pirates Concept - NEED INPUT

Nick 1733

With suggestions from my esteemed colleague, AAO, I changed the skin tone.

Also talked to my mother, who attended the school many years before myself and said to keep the history of the school there needed to be a feather in the hat, so I borrowed the Redskins feather.

AlamedaPirates-logo-04.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just saying.......without trying to start a ruckous...........that if there is any intention of actually using your final product somewhere, you shouldn't start by tracing some existing work.

If its just a concept for fun, then I apologize........although its always better safe than sorry to announce what something is based off of.

And you seem to be dodging a lot of the posts meant to help....i.e."why wouldnt the hair look good colored cause of an outline?" and the eyes and mouth are plain old freaky right now.

Iris-less can be used for animals.......and occasionally for humanoids if done carefully........another cheap way around is to merely hide the eye altogether......like someone has suggested behind a patch or in shadow.

But if you can tackle the eye and win...........it'll be the centerpiece of every concept you ever do. Eyes are tricksy.

Good luck man. We're only here to help.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Heavier lines for one... I like the idea of a diabolical grin with the upturned 'stache, but the teeth need to be better executed... try recessing them, with a small lip above.

...and pupils in the eyeballs... I know he looks crazier without 'em, but it's distracting, especially when the eyes are so big. If his eyes were narrowed without pupils, it might be fine. Jury's still out on that one.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

the black hair looks great and i agree, the eyes need something. i still dont think it should go so far back on his head. the white lips gotta go! you dont have to change the color but if you do maybe try a darker skin tone maybe. and the stash looks better upside down

I'm just saying.......without trying to start a ruckous...........that if there is any intention of actually using your final product somewhere, you shouldn't start by tracing some existing work.

And you seem to be dodging a lot of the posts meant to help....i.e."why wouldnt the hair look good colored cause of an outline?" and the eyes and mouth are plain old freaky right now.

Iris-less can be used for animals.......and occasionally for humanoids if done carefully........another cheap way around is to merely hide the eye altogether......like someone has suggested behind a patch or in shadow.

FYI - I didn't trace it, I just looked at it and made mine look to be the GENERAL shape of the other.

I was just saying that coloring the hair BLACK with a BLACK outline doesn't look right, IMO, but I'll mess with it and see what would work.

I'll also try the eye patch, but personally I want to keep the eye.

flip the stache. He looks like rollie fingers. If its pointind downard I think it'd look much better. Like...so.

I've flipped it over and it looks MUCH better.

Thank You to everyone for their input, I didn't meen to seem like I was biting heads off, I apologize for that.

I dont mean to be the board's crusty ole neighbor who thinks your music is too loud.

But the fact that you didnt trace it, is really irrelevant. I could free hand a logo fairly accurately and still be in violation. I'm saying they are remarkably similar....in fact only the hair at the back of his head even varies a little from the existing silhoutte.

( and the feather I guess)

I dont know who owns that other Pirate logo, but I'd be upset if I'd done it. PLUS, trying to develop your own concept WITHIN the constraints (outline) of "his/her" existing silhoutte is precisely whats been giving you problems in the first place. i.e. You were unwilling to modify the lips outline he/she had....so you made them teeth.....which looked ridiculous. you can take inspiration from somewhere and make it very much your own.......but you've got to be willing to depart from the work they did at some point.

My concern is not that you are copying this previous work. Right now, I've got a fantasy logo on here that is a blatant (funny I hope) ripoff of the ole Bucco Bruce Yucs logo. But its just for laughs...If this is only a concept or for fun fine.

But....

I'm concerned that if you plan to use this....i.e. submit this, have your high school use this. You could get in trouble. So my question is, do you have designs on using this or getting it approved?

Cause to encourage that, would be fairly contrary to what we are trying to accomplish with so many outside forces stealing our stuff.

If I'm way off base I'll mind my own business...but I trust you see my point.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I dont mean to be the board's crusty ole neighbor who thinks your music is too loud.

But the fact that you didnt trace it, is really irrelevant. I could free hand a logo fairly accurately and still be in violation. I'm saying they are remarkably similar....in fact only the hair at the back of his head even varies a little from the existing silhoutte.

( and the feather I guess)

I dont know who owns that other Pirate logo, but I'd be upset if I'd done it. PLUS, trying to develop your own concept WITHIN the constraints (outline) of "his/her" existing silhoutte is precisely whats been giving you problems in the first place. i.e. You were unwilling to modify the lips outline he/she had....so you made them teeth.....which looked ridiculous. you can take inspiration from somewhere and make it very much your own.......but you've got to be willing to depart from the work they did at some point.

My concern is not that you are copying this previous work. Right now, I've got a fantasy logo on here that is a blatant (funny I hope) ripoff of the ole Bucco Bruce Yucs logo. But its just for laughs...If this is only a concept or for fun fine.

But....

I'm concerned that if you plan to use this....i.e. submit this, have your high school use this. You could get in trouble. So my question is, do you have designs on using this or getting it approved?

Cause to encourage that, would be fairly contrary to what we are trying to accomplish with so many outside forces stealing our stuff.

If I'm way off base I'll mind my own business...but I trust you see my point.

Okay, those aren't teeth, they are lips. But you're right, I do need to go outside the parimaters of the original outline.

There is a lot of work to be done yet, and you saying what you said is exactly what I want people to do, give me advice as my experience in logos is drawing them by hand with a pencil and paper.

I have a hard time trying to come up with ideas straight in Illustrator, so I found that logo and based it off there.

Yes I do intended to submit it and hopefully they'll use it, but you're right, I'll have to make it my own and not so similiar to theirs, and if needed, get permission from the school (where I got the idea from).

But all input is helpful, VERY helpful, especially from such a skilled designer as yourself, Sterling84.

Changed the hair back to white momentarily

1. Removed the black outlines on the hair on the face.

2. Gave him teeth and a pupil.

3. Made the eye smaller.

4. Defined the hair more.

5. Changed the shape of the nose.

6. Gave him gold teeth. (ala a suggestion from my highly creative 12 year old brother)

7. Made the lips a better color.

I'm having lot's of trouble creating an ear.

Obveously still not done.

AlamedaPirates-logo-06.gif

Archived