Omaha NFL Team

Viperion101

So this concept is going to be part of a larger NFL Expansion Series, but for now, I need help. So here's the logo for the team, and I'm wanting to do something that follows the railroad/train theme that has been a part of Omaha's history for many years. The trouble is on the name. I like Streamliners (a streamliner is a type of train with a rounded, streamlined design. These were common during the 1930's-1960's), it's a unique name, but the problem is that it's too long (12 letters), and can't easily be abbreviated. Locomotives/Locos could work also, since it can be easily shortened. I included Express also since the name's available after the dissolution of the AAF, and it fits the train theme. Let me know your thoughts. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

As far as names go, what about Railers? Or less train themed, and more track layer themed with "Spikes"?

Railers would work, I think I'm gonna go with Locomotives. It'll be easily shortened to "Locos", like they did with the Las Vegas Locomotives back when the UFL (I think that's which one it is, it was only around for a few years), but with a better fit to the location. 

spacer.png

Random thought: I'll never understand Omaha as a target city for football leagues.  They're the 69th largest media market in the US.  For reference, Salt Lake City and Louisville are 39th and 40th, respectively.

That said I think the O-Train logo has a lot of versatility and is nice work.  It would look slick on a hockey jersey.  Might be a cool AHL / ECHL brand.  It might even be a great cap logo for a minor league baseball team. The font comes off a little dated.

mainescarf.png

• 1 year later...

If you haven't already looked at it, the UFL had a team, the Las Vegas Locomotives.

spacer.png

I'm not entirely fond of words as logos, but I did like how the wordmark was stylized into a pilot (cowcatcher).

Also, if you're looking at AAF or other such leagues, Omaha did have a UFL team, the Nighthawks, and also a team with the FXFL, the Omaha Mammoths.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure if any of those explicitly help. I worked briefly on a Kansas City rebranding that was also railway-themed, I think I was going with Kansas City Railers, and Omaha Railers has a good sound to it too. I ended up dropping it because Railers seemed too close to Raiders. A thought might be to focus less on the locomotives and instead focus on rail workers. Omaha Maulers isn't bad. A maul is obviously a big dang hammer, but apparently to maul a locomotive was a term for running on full throttle (source)

Omaha is also known for its cattle industry, and if you're not fond of Omaha Bulls, there are some overlap terms. Rail workers had some (often pejorative) terms for cowboys and cattlemen. Omaha Hayshakers is a little obscure, I'll grant you, but it's a term for a cowboy on a train, so maybe?

Archived