2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night my wife said "OHNO that's about to start again", which has become a September tradition like social media posts about ice being installed in arenas, like someone posting that the Red Wings have stopped using vertically arched nameplates, that hockey is almost here. 

In actual news, the player's association's decision not to reopen the CBA to avoid a work stoppage, kicking the decision down the road to September 2022, is good because Gary Bettman and/or all of us could be dead by then. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Last night my wife said "OHNO that's about to start again", which has become a September tradition like social media posts about ice being installed in arenas, like someone posting that the Red Wings have stopped using vertically arched nameplates, that hockey is almost here. 

In actual news, the player's association's decision not to reopen the CBA to avoid a work stoppage, kicking the decision down the road to September 2022, is good because Gary Bettman and/or all of us could be dead by then. 

A few years ago when Pavel Datsyuk decided to return to Russia, one Red Wings fan from the analytic community who I regularly visit(ed) on Twitter made their banner a collage of Datsyuk pictures, and the center photo was of Datsyuk's back with one of the straight nameplates, and that just bothered me so much. 

spacer.png

On 9/17/2019 at 8:16 AM, McCarthy said:

Eh, we'll still be here. Just as slaves to the apes given hyper-intelligence thanks to the fallout. 

I'm nothing if not an optimist. 

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

why did they even put that.  should have done, 2003/04 and then 2005/06.

I, for one, appreciate the commitment to OCD to a self-defeating level. It's so perfect for this league. 

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

why did they even put that.  should have done, 2003/04 and then 2005/06.

giphy.gif

They could use a little self-flagellation for losing the equivalent of two seasons in less than 20 years.

I've always said I'd believe the Islanders would get their new arena when the first shovel dug into the ground.

Today it happened and I'm thrilled beyond belief!  Can't wait to go to a game there!  LGI!!!

The tire-pumping on Justin Faulk was always a treat. "This guy is one of the best defensemen in the entire league. People don't realize just how elite he is! Also, he must be traded immediately."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any wagers on whether Kane gets 10 games or 3?

I knew there would be some bad blood between the teams this season, but I didn't think it'd get like that in the preseason.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

8 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Any wagers on whether Kane gets 10 games or 3?

I knew there would be some bad blood between the teams this season, but I didn't think it's get like that in the preseason.

A rivalry born. 

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Someone else paid Zac Rinaldo to “play hockey.” 

Considering how many of these coaches and GMs came up during a day when plenty of players existed just to be enforcers, I'll totally buy that people are willing to put down $700k for a guy to 4th shift and drop gloves.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Flames' coach was the statheads' darling when he coached the Hurricanes and their GM was supposed to be the next big stats guy when he was Maloney's understudy with the Coyotes. I suppose once they moved from low-pressure warm-weather markets to a high-pressure Canadian market, they became Actually Bad. Either Brian Burke stopped pissing on the bathroom floor long enough to go get Zac Rinaldo, or no one, no matter how analytically inclined, is immune to his "charms."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is this the place for predictions? 

I hope so...

EAST

Metro

x- Washington

x- Carolina

x- Pittsburgh

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Philadelphia

NY Rangers