2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

Well 82 points would almost never get you in the playoffs unless you expand the playoff field to 18 or 20 total teams. But, I agree with you in that I wish that they would get rid of the loser point. Ideally, they should go back to ties. However, if they want a clear winner and loser, then just go with strictly wins and losses.

Well there has been teams that have snuck into the playoffs with around 80 points. I the Wild backed into playoffs a couple of years ago and finished with 87 points. I mean you get the right year and that loser point could theoretically get a team in. 

That would certainly leave an egg on the league’s face. 

I do agree however that it should just be wins and losses. There’s no reason to have this loser point system. Or maybe jump up to the Olympic system. Ditching the points system would be just as bad though. That’s been around since the beginning of the NHL. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was just checking out the potential playoff matchups, and realized that only the Red Wings are mathematically eliminated currently with 35 points.

Then i realized the Red Wings are 23 points behind the second worst team, the Kings with 58 points.  How are they that bad?

16 hours ago, TBGKon said:

So I was just checking out the potential playoff matchups, and realized that only the Red Wings are mathematically eliminated currently with 35 points.

Then i realized the Red Wings are 23 points behind the second worst team, the Kings with 58 points.  How are they that bad?

#LoseforLafreniere. 😛

Flames/Wolves is the ideal affiliation situation. The Wolves don't want to be someone's developmental team and the Flames are awful at running developmental teams. Just pair them together in an affiliation based on mutual disinterest.

23 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

The Jackets aren't much better. 

I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. Current homegrown mainstays on the NHL roster who came up through Springfield/Cleveland - Cam Atkinson and David Savard went through Springfield. (So did Boone Jenner and Alex Wennberg, but they only played a handful of games in the AHL). Josh Anderson, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Joonas Korpisalo, Dean Kukan, and Zach Werenski were part of the Cleveland Calder Cup championship team that dominated the 2016 AHL playoffs (They went 15-2). They're all major contributors for the Blue Jackets right now. Sonny Milano, Markus Hannikainen, Michael Chaput, and Lukas Sedlak were part of that team as well and each one had small parts in the success of the team at the NHL level over the last 3 years. 

A handful of players are constantly on 71 going back and forth to Cleveland.

That's what every team does with their farm team? The AHL team being that close is a luxury many teams wish they had. This is a feature, not a bug. 

Everytime a prospect shows promise they ship them off.

That's just not true. The last time they "gave up" on a prospect was when they traded Ryan Johansen for Seth Jones. That happened in the 15-16 season and I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who'd flip Jones for Johansen now.

Every other recent prospect who's shown promise is currently playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets. I can't recall any other times they shipped off a homegrown prospect that showed promise. It hasn't happened. What're you talking about? 

Latest victim or should say lucky guy, Sonny Milano.

Milano's advanced stats are crap, his defense is substandard, his skating erratic, and he was a turnover machine. He did cool tricks with the puck in a youtube video and scored a highlight goal once a season, but I'm not sad to see him go. The Ducks can have him. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 3/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, TBGKon said:

Yet somehow SWEPT the Habs. 

sig.png

On 3/7/2020 at 3:48 PM, IceCap said:

Flames/Wolves is the ideal affiliation situation. The Wolves don't want to be someone's developmental team and the Flames are awful at running developmental teams. Just pair them together in an affiliation based on mutual disinterest.

I am drowning

There is no sign of land

You are coming down with me

Hand in unlovable hand

And I hope you die

I hope we both die

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Blackhawks fired their longtime president who helped rebuild the franchise.  Hopefully the GM is next.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's still kind of murky as to what happened, because it came out of absolutely nowhere, but it sounds like a power grab on the part of Rocky's son, who had been on the liquor-distribution side of the family business until becoming an "advisor" to the Blackhawks. The only advice that we know he dispensed was for the Hawks to fire Ogilvy as their ad agency and sign with a boutique agency that Wirtz fils himself owned. Hiring yourself is good advice, I suppose. I don't know for sure that a guy who prides himself on being a very cool 40-year-old will fortify Blackhawks-Barstool relations, it just seemed like a funny joke. 

It was kind of an open secret that McDonough was horrible to work for, and it could have simply been that tolerance for that kind of micromanagement and tyranny correlates hard with on-ice success, and that there was no reason to keep putting up with his crap if the team wasn't winning (now they're not even playing). McDonough didn't put the home games on TV, that was Rocky Wirtz, but what he did do was go around the city for two years both doing favors and calling in favors to get everyone excited about the ascendant Blackhawks before they'd even won a playoff round. That's probably what you can do when you ran Cubs marketing for 25 years and gave god-knows-how-many people free tickets. But now that the team has good or great relationships around town (he finally even mended fences with the Score, an infamously anti-Blackhawks radio station), maybe you need a different guy to maintain that corporate citizenship who won't be such a prick around the office.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived