2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Say what you will about Northlands, but at least it never fell apart in a thunderstorm. All that fighting and threatening to move to Seattle for a b-tch-ass Hartford Civic Center crossed with an airport terminal.

That Sportsnet Wednesday Night Hockey interview with Katz opening night when it opened just gushing over the arena and glossing over just about everything was INCREDIBLE CONTENT. Hoo boy.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

43 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

That Sportsnet Wednesday Night Hockey interview with Katz opening night when it opened just gushing over the arena and glossing over just about everything was INCREDIBLE CONTENT. Hoo boy.

It was just dimestore Saarinen with some b.s. First Nations terrazzo plunked somewhere in the vast empty steel-jellybean space. I have no idea what a semi-public space in Edmonton is supposed to look like, but to me it just looks like JetBlue's JFK terminal but without as much Morrissey playing over the sound system.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Sorry, but... UBS sounds like either a poor man's CBS or the newest bowel disease.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:58 PM, monkeypower said:

There were the occasional PSA’s on the screens and by the PA guy reminding everyone to sit back in their seats because if the person in front of you lean forwards, you won’t be able to see.

Well that's totally stupid. They expect people to not lean forward at any point during the action? 

spacer.png

UBS was the network in Network.

I suppose it could be worse, we were never going to get Al Arbour Arena, anyway. Everyone will probably just end up calling it Belmont, so good investment, investment bankers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Prediction: Seattle Kraken make the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.

Hopefully against an Eastern Conference team also looking to win their first Stanley Cup.  The 2018 Stanley Cup had that and I was rooting for Washington because I wanted to see Ovechkin win the Stanley Cup.  In 2019, we also had another first time Stanley Cup winner in St. Louis and I was rooting for St. Louis.  

Some weird stuff going on in the desert with internet darling Chayka (I'm not misremembering that, he was one right?)

The relationship between the Coyotes and Chayka fell apart, getting to the point where the Coyotes indicated Chayka was only "expected" to be part of the Edmonton bubble travel list. The rift apparently came about because of a (non-hockey) job opportunity he was going to take.

And then this today

Yes, that is former Devil/Leaf/Blackhawk/Perd/Penguin/Coyote Steve Sullivan.

IbjBaeE.png

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Some weird stuff going on in the desert with internet darling Chayka (I'm not misremembering that, he was one right?)

The relationship between the Coyotes and Chayka fell apart, getting to the point where the Coyotes indicated Chayka was only "expected" to be part of the Edmonton bubble travel list. The rift apparently came about because of a (maybe non-hockey) job opportunity he was going to take.

Clearly this means they're moving to Houston. /s 😛

In all seriousness, Chayka built a good team, but they've been hammered by the injury bug both this season and last and they've never really gotten past "good" and into "very good". They're constantly a bubble team on the outside. He terminated his contract himself, and the offer was confirmed as outside of the NHL sphere.

15 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Prediction: Seattle Kraken make the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.

We'll see a repeat of the Golden Knights situation. The league will give them overly-generous expansion draft rules so they can establish a good team and get off to a good start.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 minute ago, Kevin W. said:

We'll see a repeat of the Golden Knights situation. The league will give them overly-generous expansion draft rules so they can establish a good team and get off to a good start.

Well, they'll have the exact same rules Vegas did (though Vegas themselves are exempt from the draft), but this time GMs will probably be smarter about who they leave available and the Kraken won't be as good to start as the Golden Knights were.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived