2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Tampa's probably horrified right now, but this was the Leafiest result possible. Gutsy comeback followed by an absolute dud. You gotta think big changes are coming to the team this offseason after an egg like that.

7 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'm not surprised at how unsurprised I am that the team that won the President's Trophy ended up going 0-3 in the seeding games, not having lead a game for a single minute. 

FYP.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I like the unpredictability this bubble Stanley Cup playoffs have been.

The outcome of the Stanley Cup Final might determine my feelings for this new system. My team, who was in last place all year long, somehow made these playoffs and forfeited their shot at Lafrenière and a top 10 pick. If the Flyers sweep Montreal, I'm going to hate it a lot. I'm still very bummed about losing out on Lafrenière.

I walked around the last two days waiting for the electric chair. They blew their best chance in game 4 and tonight was gonna be a formality. I was so certain that I placed a wager on the Leafs and I’m not a huge gambler. And it didn’t matter! I cannot believe that they were able to come back after the most epic choke in game 4 and not only not look like zombies, but pitch a complete game shutout after that. It truly makes no sense. 

Can’t say I’m jazzed for the Lightning again, but if Game 4 had ended up mattering it would’ve been up there with the Bengals 2015 NFL playoff loss Or the Reds blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2012 NLDS. I needed this win for my sanity. 

42 minutes ago, tp49 said:

So John Tavares you went to Toronto to win championships...your former team's gone farther in the playoffs then you have since you left. Enjoy walking around your pool.  🤣

Same sentiment applies to Artemi Panarin, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Matt Duchene. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Prediction time...

Montreal vs. Philadelphia - Flyers in 5 (Montreal is playing with house money, so getting at least A win here would be great for them. Too bad they're running into a orange clad buzz saw in the Flyers)

Columbus vs. Tampa Bay - Lightning in 6 (You know that Tampa Bay will want to eliminate ALL doubt here, especially after last season's debacle)

NY Islanders vs. Washington - Capitals in 6 (This is a toss up series to me, so I went with the higher seed)

Carolina vs. Boston - Hurricanes in 6 (Carolina looked great in their series with the Rangers while Boston looked like crap in the Round Robin. Oh, and the Canes do remember last season's curb stomp job by Boston in the Conference Finals)

Chicago vs. Vegas - Golden Knights in 5 (Much like the Montreal-Philadelphia series, you have a team playing with house money [Chicago] taking on a buzz saw [Vegas])

Arizona vs. Colorado - Avalanche in 4 (As great as it is for the Coyotes to make the playoffs, it's not going to last long thanks to a good Colorado team)

Calgary vs. Dallas - Stars in 7 (Can the Stars handle what might be the roughest, toughest team this side of Alberta? I think they can, but not without a fight)

Vancouver vs. St. Louis - Blues in 6 (Unlike Boston, I think the Blues were not sleepwalking through the Round Robin. The defending champs will find their stride here)

uvhhMrd.png

Yikes.  I feel like all Leafs fans are like this today, and likely have been for years. 

33 shots, and yeah Korpisalo had a great night, but the Leafs didn't have great finishes either.  Columbus should've only had the one goal, but herp-de-derp, caught in a switch, and Andersen has this great look on his face like, "you :censored: ing guys, I swear to Christ." 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 hours ago, Sport said:

I walked around the last two days waiting for the electric chair. They blew their best chance in game 4 and tonight was gonna be a formality. I was so certain that I placed a wager on the Leafs and I’m not a huge gambler. And it didn’t matter! I cannot believe that they were able to come back after the most epic choke in game 4 and not only not look like zombies, but pitch a complete game shutout after that. It truly makes no sense. 

Can’t say I’m jazzed for the Lightning again, but if Game 4 had ended up mattering it would’ve been up there with the Bengals 2015 NFL playoff loss Or the Reds blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2012 NLDS. I needed this win for my sanity. 

Same sentiment applies to Artemi Panarin, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Matt Duchene. 

The Jackets are set up great. Toronto is the 2nd softest team in the league - they consistently fail to show up in an elimination game. Lots, LOTS of things need to change in that organization. Tampa is the softest team in the league, especially without Stamkos and Hedman.... and still Jon Cooper. Probably couldn't ask for a better scenario for a 9 seed. I know Columbus particularly enjoys ripping your heart out annually, but I think they have a great shot at moving on.

2 hours ago, CherryMX said:

uvhhMrd.png

Yikes.  I feel like all Leafs fans are like this today, and likely have been for years. 

33 shots, and yeah Korpisalo had a great night, but the Leafs didn't have great finishes either.  Columbus should've only had the one goal, but herp-de-derp, caught in a switch, and Andersen has this great look on his face like, "you :censored: ing guys, I swear to Christ." 

It was maybe the worst line change I've ever seen. Can't remember which Leafs defenseman skated off, but Foudy didn't even know what to do with the puck when he first collected it off the dump-in because he was so alone. I mean, thanks, but what the :censored: was that? I almost felt bad about it. Any Maple Leafs fans blaming Andersen need to look elsewhere. 

This leads me to my assessment of the Leafs - they shot a ridiculously low shooting percentage due to bad luck (ASIDE FROM THE LUCKIEST THREE AND A HALF MINUTES ANY HOCKEY TEAM HAS EVER HAD!), a bad matchup against a defensively stacked team (I think the CBJ blueline needs to get more credit for how good they are), solid goaltending (it happens), and the Jackets get complete buy-in from the whole lineup in Torts system. Ask the Tampa Bay Lightning (hello again) about that. They scored 3 5-on-5 goals in 5 games! I don't think they should overreact to a small sample size. Matthews, Tavares, and Marner are legitimately frightening and I was a wreck any time any of them controlled the puck. But they don't have THAT guy on the blueline, even before Muzzin went down (which I feel legitimately bad about) that can motor the offense from the back and be the rock you need to shut down top lines in pressure situations. They don't have the forward depth you need. I was waiting for Matthews and Marner to get off the ice because I felt comfortable that the rest of the Leafs forwards weren't going to do any damage. 

Game 4 was horrifying. I still can't believe they got off the mat after that and won game 5 in pretty calm fashion. All my sports watching experience told me they were gonna get their doors blown off in Game 5 and lose something like 5-1 in a shell-shocked effort. I lost money because of this. 

7 minutes ago, speedy said:

The Jackets are set up great. Toronto is the 2nd softest team in the league - they consistently fail to show up in an elimination game. Lots, LOTS of things need to change in that organization. Tampa is the softest team in the league, especially without Stamkos and Hedman.... and still Jon Cooper. Probably couldn't ask for a better scenario for a 9 seed. I know Columbus particularly enjoys ripping your heart out annually, but I think they have a great shot at moving on.

This is why I wanted the Leafs to win game 7 against the Bruins last year. The Blue Jackets swept Tampa and they would've gotten Tampa Lite the next round. The CBJ fans saying they wanted the Bruins after the first round were a bunch of hockey ignorant dingdongs and this series this year proved what I've thought for over a year now. The Jackets minus a 3 minute meltdown with what turned out to be a hurt goalie basically won 4 out of 5 games. The Jackets with Panarin and Duchene added to the mix would've mopped the Maple Leafs a year ago. Would've been less of a physical bloodbath than the Bruins series so they likely don't lose Josh Anderson, they go on to beat Carolina in the ECF, and I like the matchup with St. Louis in the finals. Basically, if the stupid Maple Leafs had won game 6 or game 7 last year the Blue Jackets would've won the goddamn Stanley Cup. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Montreal vs. Philadelphia. Flyers in 6

Columbus vs. Tampa Bay. Blue Jackets in 5

NY Islanders vs. Washington. Capitals in 7

Carolina vs. Boston. Bruins in 7

Chicago vs. Vegas. Golden Knights in 5

Arizona vs. Colorado. Avalanche in 5

Calgary vs. Dallas. Stars in 6

Vancouver vs. St. Louis. Canucks in 7

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived