2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping for a Vegas/Tampa Bay matchup in the Finals. Only one Cup between them, Vegas trying to get their first Cup after coming up short in their inaugural season and fully establish hockey in the city, and the Lightning making up for the colossal choke against Columbus last year. Great uniform matchup too.

10 minutes ago, tp49 said:

The team fully bought Trotz's system.  They're also playing with a chip on their shoulder.

I've watched exactly 74 minutes of hockey this season, including the 54 minutes I've watched so far tonight.  So forgive me if I'm not up on who's hot and who's not, but man - the Islanders are dominating the Flyers.  It feels like it's been in the Flyers' defensive zone for all but about 10 seconds of this game.  All I've been hearing around here is how hot the Flyers were, and how they have a great chance to win it, but based on the limited sample size I have to work with, I don't get it at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Boston fans have seen a 3-0 ALCS comeback and a 28-3 Super Bowl comeback.

You aren't lulling anyone into a false sense of security. The fourth win is the toughest to get.

Pretty sure Tampa got all the choke out of their system last year. 

Bruins have been so thoroughly outplayed since Game 1. Had they won Game 2 and it was a 3-2 series, I could see them forcing a game 7. But I don't see them winning 3 straight against a team like Tampa. Maybe they can force a game 6.

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've watched exactly 74 minutes of hockey this season, including the 54 minutes I've watched so far tonight.  So forgive me if I'm not up on who's hot and who's not, but man - the Islanders are dominating the Flyers.  It feels like it's been in the Flyers' defensive zone for all but about 10 seconds of this game.  All I've been hearing around here is how hot the Flyers were, and how they have a great chance to win it, but based on the limited sample size I have to work with, I don't get it at all.

Yeah, those round robin games were more of a mirage. They are a highly streaky team, which is to be expected of a young team. It doesn't help that some of the top line guys just aren't contributing and their abysmal power play has finally come to bite them. 

Tampa is just too good right now. 

I don't see another team stopping them. Plus I feel the Islanders have to come crashing down to Earth sooner or later. 

Can't say I'm shocked the Bruins are done, they only made the Finals last year because they didn't have to play Tampa. 

Outside of Tampa, all the other remaining teams would make an interesting Finals. 

8 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Tampa is just too good right now. 

I don't see another team stopping them. Plus I feel the Islanders have to come crashing down to Earth sooner or later. 

Can't say I'm shocked the Bruins are done, they only made the Finals last year because they didn't have to play Tampa. 

Outside of Tampa, all the other remaining teams would make an interesting Finals. 

I would still give Tampa the edge but the Islanders are making the Flyers look like a painfully mediocre team right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it went all 7 games.

Tampa Bay Lightning = Virginia Cavaliers basketball. They're winning the title the year after getting embarrassed in the first round. 

And Boston's last best chance at another cup was Game 7 on home ice last year. Tuuka opting out didn't help, but that core is aging. Still can't believe they let that slip away to that Blues team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 minutes ago, Sport said:

And Boston's last best chance at another cup was Game 7 on home ice last year. Tuuka opting out didn't help, but that core is aging. Still can't believe they let that slip away to that Blues team. 

Yeah.... same. But then again, outside of Tim Thomas having arguably the best postseason of any goaltender in the history of goaltending, this core has consistently failed to show up in defining moments - so it wasn't that big of a surprise for me. At first Claude Julien was the easy scapegoat because he was great at giving befuddled looks and refusing to change anything, but it's more of the same with Cassidy.

I love Chara off the ice and what he brings to the team there, but on the ice I haven't seen a thing I've liked in maybe 8 years. I would love for him to come back on a veteran's minimum and a reduced role. Huge pass on him coming back and playing huge minutes. Bergeron (35), Krecji (34), and Marchand (32) are all certainly aging, but they still have plenty left in the tank. I don't think the window is quite closed yet, however drastic changes need to be made. Let Krug walk, and try to trade Rask to an unsuspecting team on the fringe who needs goaltending (Dallas?). 

I still have nightmares about this and will continue to for the next decade.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Trading Rask is just about the dumbest thing Bruins could do. 

He’s still a top goaltender in the league. 
losing him is worse than losing Chara. 

Rask has 1 year left on his deal at a 7 mil hit (not awful, not great) - he's not resigning anywhere after that. 100% retiring. I'd gauge his interest on resigning and if he's cavalier about it go out and see if you can get some bang for your buck.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chara and him in his prime was something to witness. That said, losing Chara in 2010-2013 would be a huge hit. Losing Chara in 2020 is a drop in the bucket. He's too slow at this stage and his breakout passes leave a lot to be desired - they always have, but you're willing to gloss over that when he was in his prime and dominating puck handlers. The longer he plays top defensive minutes the quicker this team will get bounced next year. He's a bottom 2 right now. I know he's the unquestioned team leader, though Bergeron will easily fill those shoes.

13 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I honestly never really took the Flyers that seriously. They got a bit streaky during the seeding games, but I never believed for a moment they could beat Tampa or even Boston. 

Still, the fact the Islanders are dominating them so thoroughly is surprising. 

Yeah, the Flyers don't seem all that impressive now that Carter Hart's come back down to earth from his early-bubble form.  I'm hoping the Flyers push it to seven just for Tampa Bay's sake but don't have much preference on who the Lightning play beyond that, though I'm not crazy about the prospect of another Columbus-like series against the Islanders.

edit: So the Islanders got kind of screwed there with no delay of game call on Hart.  And with the "trip" earlier in OT.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived