Gary

2019-2020 NHL Thread

Demko just single handedly saved the Canucks season... for the time being anyways.  What an amazing performance.

23 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I honestly never really took the Flyers that seriously. They got a bit streaky during the seeding games, but I never believed for a moment they could beat Tampa or even Boston. 

Still, the fact the Islanders are dominating them so thoroughly is surprising. 

I never thought this Flyers team was a true Stanley Cup contender but to easily dismiss them like you did is a bit much. This Islanders team may be the best in the East, and I think they have a good chance of beating Tampa. The Flyers have fought really hard in this series. Boston, on the other hand, was extremely disappointing. They gave Tampa no fight. I'm not saying that I would guarantee a Glyers series victory but they would have done pretty well against the Bruins.

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

I never thought this Flyers team was a true Stanley Cup contender but to easily dismiss them like you did is a bit much. This Islanders team may be the best in the East, and I think they have a good chance of beating Tampa. The Flyers have fought really hard in this series. Boston, on the other hand, was extremely disappointing. They gave Tampa no fight. I'm not saying that I would guarantee a Glyers series victory but they would have done pretty well against the Bruins.

Tampa's won 15 of their last 18 against Boston, so I think they're just a matchup nightmare for the Bruins like how Columbus was for the Lightning last year (and to a lesser extent, this year).

This is the most factual video UrinatingTree has ever created.

The Boston sports media is the worst.

On 9/1/2020 at 10:58 AM, speedy said:

spacer.png

That's given me nightmares too. Along with Zach Hamil and Joe Colborne. Bruins only good first round draft picks have pretty much been those that have fell into their laps - and even then they traded them away when it was time to resign them.

18 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You can't win the Cup without a quality goaltender, how do they replace Rask? Halak is a good backup but he's also at that age too. 

Chara, at least on ice can be replaced. 

That's true - but Rask has never won a Cup as a starting goaltender either. He's proven more than capable of getting the team to the brink and then faltering in the most crucial moment. See: 2013 SCF Game 6 (CHI outclassed them in the 3rd, but 2 goals in 17 seconds is unacceptable), 2019 SCF Game 7 (2 goals on 4 shots in the 1st AT HOME). He's a great goalie no doubt about it. Are you ever truly confident in him though? It varies considerably for me.

The problems with this team are deeper than Rask, but I still see him as expendable at this point if the return is right. The UFA goaltender list ain't too hot but maybe Lehner could be an attractive option if he hovers around the 4-5 mil mark.

4 minutes ago, speedy said:

That's true - but Rask has never won a Cup as a starting goaltender either. He's proven more than capable of getting the team to the brink and then faltering in the most crucial moment. See: 2013 SCF Game 6 (CHI outclassed them in the 3rd, but 2 goals in 17 seconds is unacceptable), 2019 SCF Game 7 (2 goals on 4 shots in the 1st AT HOME). He's a great goalie no doubt about it. Are you ever truly confident in him though? It varies considerably for me.

The problems with this team are deeper than Rask, but I still see him as expendable at this point if the return is right. The UFA goaltender list ain't too hot but maybe Lehner could be an attractive option if he hovers around the 4-5 mil mark.

With this year's playoff preformance and it becoming very clear that is personal issues are not affecting him on the ice he will likely get well over 5 million. I could be wrong, but it seems like a lot of teams want to improve their goaltending and can afford to pay him. 

13 minutes ago, charger77 said:

With this year's playoff preformance and it becoming very clear that is personal issues are not affecting him on the ice he will likely get well over 5 million. I could be wrong, but it seems like a lot of teams want to improve their goaltending and can afford to pay him. 

Yeah, I'm gunna tend to agree with that. He's definitely the biggest name out there considering age, and Holtby's performance this year. He'll probably fetch 6-7+ all things considered.

1980 Stanley Cup Final between the Flyers and Islanders:

Game 1: @ PHI - Isles win

Games 2-6: home team wins every game, capped with the Islanders winning 5-4 in OT in Game 6

2020 Eastern second round:

Game 1: "@" PHI - Isles win

Games 2-5: "home" team wins every game

Game 6: tied 4-4 going into overtime...

oh, we're playing the "blatant no-call leads to series being extended just in time for cancer survivor to come back and rally his team" game, aren't we

This is the most god damn frustrating series to watch. Islanders have outplayed the Flyers 5 out of 6 games. OT loss off an icing. OT loss off an icing. OT loss off a broken stick. Tied 3-3.

1 minute ago, RyanMcD29 said:

This is the most god damn frustrating series to watch. Islanders have outplayed the Flyers 5 out of 6 games. OT loss off an icing. OT loss off an icing. OT loss off a broken stick. Tied 3-3.

I will definitely agree that the Islanders are the better club and I'd argue that they have outplayed the Flyers in all 6 games. They seem a bit snake bitten in OTs in this series.

Hart has been the Flyers' MVP, no question.

I haven't watched hockey until the last few games of this playoff, and the Flyers don't look like they even belong on the same ice as the Islanders.  Everything that goes the Flyers way seems to be just luck or the result of way too much effort, while the Islanders just seem to be able to have the puck in their offensive zone whenever they want.

If you didn't tell me this was the playoffs and I watched what I've watched, I'd assume the Flyers were a fledgling squad going up against the defending champs.

EDIT: and the Flyers "too focused on drawing up power plays to know that there's racism" coach decides to review a goal that everybody knew was legit, only to lose (of course) and then see his team give up the PP goal on the penalty directly related to that moronic challenge.  Alain Vigneault - that's a man that takes his martini shaken... not stirred.

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

EDIT: and the Flyers "too focused on drawing up power plays to know that there's racism" coach decides to review a goal that everybody knew was legit, only to lose (of course) and then see his team give up the PP goal on the penalty directly related to that moronic challenge.  Alain Vigneault - that's a man that takes his martini shaken... not stirred.

I don't know why he challenged that goal. Somebody needs to be in his ear to tell him no on that one.

On a related note, can somebody please tell me why losing a challenge is a 2 minute minor?

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

On a related note, can somebody please tell me why losing a challenge is a 2 minute minor?

I think it's to discourage teams from challenging unless they're pretty sure it'll be overturned. Before this year, a lost challenge resulting in you losing your timeout, which lots of coaches were fine with. Because there were more challenges, games were delayed 10-15 minutes with officials trying to see if a player irrelevant to the play was a centimetre offside.

1 hour ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

I think it's to discourage teams from challenging unless they're pretty sure it'll be overturned. Before this year, a lost challenge resulting in you losing your timeout, which lots of coaches were fine with. Because there were more challenges, games were delayed 10-15 minutes with officials trying to see if a player irrelevant to the play was a centimetre offside.

To elaborate further on the timeout point (and this is something we've seen in the NFL over the years as well) - a timeout in the NHL is 30 seconds or so, and any challenge (with everything that goes into it) takes much longer than 30 seconds. So, even if there was a minuscule chance for an overturn, if you felt your team needed a timeout anyway, you could issue a challenge and get, well, much more than just 30 seconds to cool down and refocus. So it was exploitative in that way, and removing the timeout component from it was actually a pretty good idea, honestly. 

5 hours ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

I like the two minute penalty for losing an offside, but not in general.