Gary

2019-2020 NHL Thread

oh well, time to be irrelevant for 20 years again. go stars.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Tampa looked gassed as :censored: in that OT. Now they get a rested Stars team, who plays pretty much the same style the Isles do.

From about the halfway mark on, honestly.  That was a wild game... Tampa was dominant the first period and a half but couldn't finish and then it was all Islanders.

I hope and I pray that getting past the Islanders will be a serious weight off these guys shoulders and they'll have a bit more puck luck and good finishing against Dallas. Trying to score goals these last two games was friggen' impossible and the way this series ended for the Lightning to win was about the only way it could've. A shot that hit the inside of post and slid back across the width of the goal line...before finally knicking the skate of an unsuspecting Varlamov to cross over for good. Nobody knowing whether it was in at first, either. Having to wait until the replay to see how close it was until it finally got the nudge it needed.

Posted this in the Interesting Stats thread, but the previous longest drought between a franchise's 1st and 2nd Cup win was 10 years (Bruins in 1929 and 1939). In the expansion era though, it was only 5 years. This includes the 1st and 2nd wins since 1967 by O6 teams too.  

10 seasons - Bruins

6 seasons - Canadiens

5 seasons - Avalanche, Devils, Rangers

4 seasons - Blackhawks, Toronto

3 seasons - Blackhawks

2 seasons - Bruins, Kings

1 season - Canadiens, Flyers, Islanders, Oilers, Penguins, Red Wings, Red Wings, Senators 1.0

If the Lightning win, it'll jump to 15 seasons while if the Stars win, it'll jump to 20 seasons. 

Stars win in 7. No foot in the crease this time.

Looking like Pieitrangelo (sp) won't be back in St.Louis.

So...uh...Dallas seems to be doing well against Tampa.

EDIT: Game 1 ends, final is 4-1 Dallas.

I posted on my social media, just before the game, that this year feels like it's the Tampa Bay Lightning's year.

That didn't age well.

Stars have been playing a fast style. Throughout the playoffs, they've been great offensively so I don't find it surprising.

I just hope this series goes to at least six games.

The new shade of green is an improvement and the traditional striping suits them more than the all-star template...  But I just can't get over the loss of Gold. 

I realize the new scheme will be forever if they win the cup this year but It just doesn't feel like the same team.  If the Sabres got rid of gold people on here would be up in arms and they didn't even win a championship...

LKY1kF3.jpg

11 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I realize the new scheme will be forever if they win the cup this year but It just doesn't feel like the same team.

It's really not. The old Dallas Stars were a Best Team Money Could Buy that was on ESPN whenever possible. Since the bankruptcy, they've become a cult phenomenon for hipsters who haven't moved to Austin yet and irony posters nationwide. I wonder if they've been allowed to do those hysterical jumbotron memes.

46 years of Green and Gold history, if you count the North Stars, gone.

The ST^RS logo was better too.

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

46 years of Green and Gold history, if you coun't the North Stars, gone.

The ST^RS logo was better too.

Disagree on the second point. The current logo is better than any wordmark. Really any logo that’s a wordmark instantly brings it down to the bottom of the league.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Disagree on the second point. The current logo is better than any wordmark. Really any logo that’s a wordmark instantly brings it down to the bottom of the league.

The logo contains a word but it's hardly a "wordmark."  Is the Oilers logo a wordmark?  How about the Leafs, Rangers or Panthers?

To me, incorporating the word into the top point of the star is more clever than just slapping on a beveled 'D.'  It was even more clever as the Northstars logo because the '^' also doubles as an arrow pointing north.

5 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

The logo contains a word but it's hardly a "wordmark."  Is the Oilers logo a wordmark?  How about the Leafs, Rangers or Panthers?

To me, incorporating the word into the top point of the star is more clever than just slapping on a beveled 'D.'  It was even more clever as the Northstars logo because the '^' also doubles as an arrow pointing north.

The Astros tried to do something similar with their old logo, and I always hated it. 

Even with Dallas, It doesn't look like an "A" at all. 

24 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

It’s a wordmark, replacing the “A” with a Star doesn’t change that. I guess the ducks didn’t have a wordmark either because the “D” was a webbed foot

55 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s a wordmark, replacing the “A” with a Star doesn’t change that. I guess the ducks didn’t have a wordmark either because the “D” was a webbed foot

The word "Ducks" is the main only part of that logo, therefore it's a wordmark.  The word "St^rs" is a secondary element taking a backseat to the star itself.  You could take that text away and still have a logo.  Therefore it is not a wordmark but a logo containing a word.