2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

The Ducks logo works because it actually does look like both a "D" and a webbed foot. 

Dallas' old one doesn't because the top point of the star doesn't look like an "A" like they were clearly going for. 

I don't think the Ducks logo looks like much of a "D" or a webbed foot...  But that's an opinion I don't expect many others on here to share.

The top point of the star might not be a perfect 'A' but looks enough like one to form the word "Stars."

50 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I don't think the Ducks logo looks like much of a "D" or a webbed foot...  But that's an opinion I don't expect many others on here to share.

The top point of the star might not be a perfect 'A' but looks enough like one to form the word "Stars."

I agree it's not a wordmark and I think it would look great on their current jerseys in the new colors

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

With The Stars, I just don't see it. 

I get what they were going for, but it's like not dotting "i" or crossing the "T", or an "H" without the cross. it just doesn't work. 

I think some teams can pull it off with their logos (like the Ducks & Atlanta Falcons) but when the Stars or Astros  tried doing it, it just looks really bad. 

And personally, it always annoyed me. 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:37 AM, Morgan33 said:

The new shade of green is an improvement and the traditional striping suits them more than the all-star template...  But I just can't get over the loss of Gold. 

I realize the new scheme will be forever if they win the cup this year but It just doesn't feel like the same team.  If the Sabres got rid of gold people on here would be up in arms and they didn't even win a championship...

At first me too I was like wth why is there no gold anymore? I remember one of the speakers who described the uniforms during the unveiling, forgot who it was, explained to fans that the gold turns muddy against black or green, depending on where it's situated. He did a good job explaining, I thought. He made sense and didn't resort to BS analogies that some teams make up.

Another reason why I got used to black and green only is because their original uniforms never used much gold:

any_name_500aa__57645.1551815330.1280.12

The star outline and script are gold. But because they only used it as a tertiary color, for a long time their brand was mostly just green and black, throughout most of the 90s. They did add more of it on their ASG uniform template. It varied. Overall, I got used to it because the presence of gold varied so much between being used a lot and being almost not used at all, I was okay with them keeping just green and black, the 2 colors that were always prominent.

The Minnesota North Stars would have been a totally different story, had they dropped their signature yellow. But the Dallas Stars, I think it's fine. Sometimes, those hints of gold felt more like remnants of the other team. Since Day 1, Dallas seemed to be pushing to have their own seperate identity.

When a new shade of green was introduced, continuing to use Dallas Stars tertiary dark-ish gold wouldn't look very good. I had that change of heart and the new colors grew on me. They did win a Cup with more gold glistened over the jersey. But Dallas still has enough history using the old jerseys. I feel like they picked the right colors. Like how the Tampa Bay Lightning dropped the silver circle, even after winning a Cup, it felt like a similar deal with Dallas.

While the dark gold is definitely still a part of the Dallas Stars history, I'm okay with leaving it for throwback nights only or for an alternate jersey.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:37 AM, Morgan33 said:

If the Sabres got rid of gold people on here would be up in arms and they didn't even win a championship...

This is the difference between what the Stars and Lightning did. The Lightning dropped black (and brought back 1% of it IIRC) and became Leafs South. The Stars dropped the gold, but still had a unique look. If the Flames dropped yellow...

11 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Another reason why I got used to black and green only is because their original uniforms never used much gold:

The star outline and script are gold. But because they only used it as a tertiary color, for a long time their brand was mostly just green and black, throughout most of the 90s. They did add more of it on their ASG uniform template. It varied. Overall, I got used to it because the presence of gold varied so much between being used a lot and being almost not used at all, I was okay with them keeping just green and black, the 2 colors that were always prominent.

It's true that they didn't use gold on the striping but that hardly made them "just a green and black team."  The logo is the most important element of a jersey and it was almost half gold.

Since Day 1, Dallas seemed to be pushing to have their own seperate identity.

Is that why they brought over the exact jerseys, colours and record books when they moved?

When a new shade of green was introduced, continuing to use Dallas Stars tertiary dark-ish gold wouldn't look very good.

I disagree.  Not the exact shade but if it worked with both Kelly & Forest, it could certainly work with a shade that splits the difference between the two.

yt3ibFJ.jpg

Like how the Tampa Bay Lightning dropped the silver circle, even after winning a Cup, it felt like a similar deal with Dallas.

Which was another bad move.  The Lightning stripped their uniforms of all their character to dress up like the Leafs.

7 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

It's true that they didn't use gold on the striping but that hardly made them "just a green and black team."  The logo is the most important element of a jersey and it was almost half gold.

There's something about a few of the 90s logos that had the same issue, though.

- Panthers gold crest, but the jerseys used only yellow.

- Mighty Ducks crest teal/black or silver/black, jerseys teal/eggplant with silver.

That STΛRS logo felt another product of that trend from back then.

It's true the 1st Dallas jerseys were used by the North Stars very briefly. I didn't think of that. So it was just my mentality of associating what I saw most prominently as their identity. For example, the Mighty Ducks 90s logo contained no eggplant just black, but the Mighty Ducks were a purple (or eggplant) team to me cause their whole uniforms and merch used it a lot. Just the way I see it. That's a reason why I was more okay than others with Dallas ditching gold. Gold wasn't there much. When they got rid of it, I was already used to green/black, it didn't take much time for me to become accustomed to the new unis.

7 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The Lightning stripped their uniforms of all their character to dress up like the Leafs.

I think the simplfied logo is an upgrade. But I do agree they need more black. They're not completely devoid of it, but they're pretty close. It's true they need more black because it's too much like the Leafs, especially now the Leafs now changed to that one singular waist stripe, the similarities issue has worsened.

44 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Well, this series is over.  Tampa wins!  What a bore...

The first two games were great hockey.  I won't say the series is over, though Tampa is starting to get their machine rolling, but I think Khudobin is going to have to find whatever mojo he had through the VGK series and game one if Dallas is going to have a chance.

I don't know if Stamkos will return this series but this was a great moment either way.

edit: This game can't end soon enough.  Feels like Dallas is just headhunting at this point.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived