2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will die seven days after watching this, and your soul shall haunt the grounds of Shattuck St. Mary's for all eternity.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Next year, when Minnesota needs a team that can actually draw to fill Target Field.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Dallas is doing a great job with hosting but not playing unfortunately

Story of the Winter Classic, that and "Hawks lose"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I just think that Pekka Rinne is too good right now.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

17 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Still hoping Columbus gets one in a couple years. Probably would be the only time I step foot on campus. 

No evidence to support this, but I think any movements towards an outdoor game in Columbus keep getting squashed by OSU being difficult about Ohio Stadium hosting it, as they are with everything in Columbus that doesn't directly benefit the greatest university in the world.

Maybe they could hold a game in the new Crew stadium, but that wouldn't be nearly the same experience. 

Dallas was surprisingly awesome yesterday and it was a fun game. Good job by them. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

No evidence to support this, but I think any movements towards an outdoor game in Columbus keep getting squashed by OSU being difficult about Ohio Stadium hosting it, as they are with everything in Columbus that doesn't directly benefit the greatest university in the world.

Maybe they could hold a game in the new Crew stadium, but that wouldn't be nearly the same experience. 

Dallas was surprisingly awesome yesterday and it was a fun game. Good job by them. 

In Columbus, it's either The Shoe or nothing at all....the new Crew stadium might seat just a bit more than Nationwide Arena.

Sometimes I wonder if Cleveland might be an option.  

So being totally honest, what cities/venues could realistically host an outdoor game that haven't yet.

- Comerica Park in Detroit

- The Shoe in Columbus

- Nissan Stadium in Nashville

- Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh (leaked photos show a rink outline in cones a few weeks ago)

What non-NHL cities could host?  

- Bristol Motor Speedway?

- Progressive Field in Cleveland?

- Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

- Beaver Stadium (Penn State)?

- West Point?

- Rutgers?

- Yale Bowl?

- Harvard Stadium

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

So being totally honest, what cities/venues could realistically host an outdoor game that haven't yet.

- The Shoe in Columbus

- Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh (leaked photos show a rink outline in cones a few weeks ago)

- West Point?

- Rutgers?

- Yale Bowl?

- Harvard Stadium

Not enough money in a game at Comerica, hence the game was in Ann Arbor.  Gotta be greedy these events.

The speedways are out.  Bristol really doesn't have the infrastructure and it kinda hard to get to.  Indianapolis is so large, the infield has part of the Brickyard Crossings golf course so part of pit lane on the front stretch would have to be town down for a rink since the track itself is only 46 feet wide.

Allegiant in Las Vegas and SoFi in Inglewood will be available soon, but both will be hosting NCAA bowl games in addition to potential NFL issues, so getting enough time to set up the rink will be an issue for both.  There's always the LA Coliseum, but it would look bad with an 11AM faceoff.

Nissan Stadium in Nashville has issues, so Vanderbilt Stadium is a much lesser option.

Yale Bowl doesn't even have locker rooms (hell, it was built without restrooms).  Teams have to dress and meet in Smilow Field Center/Cam Cozza Complex (just the 2nd Floor of that same building) and there's a 300 yard walk to the stadium.

Remember, Seattle joins the NHL in 2021-22, so Husky Stadium will likely become available soon.

Carter-Finley is on state AG department/university land, so the fairgrounds knows it has the space to park cars and NC State won't be in session.  That's an easy choice to host. 

This thread is only 7 pages long. The NHL threads used to be the toast of the town here. What's happened? Nobody likes hockey anymore? Nobody cares?

spacer.png

There's your answer. The California teams' poor performance has killed interest in the sport. You, yes YOU no longer want to talk puck because the coolest teams from the best region are bad. Of course I knew it all along, but now everyone else is finding out that when California Hockey suffers, all of hockey suffers (coincidentally, the NBA thread is more popular than ever in a year where both LA teams are strong...HMMM...).

Here's to the quick and speedy revitalization of the Sharks, Kings, and Ducks. Not just for California. For the sake of the entire sport.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:28 PM, AstroBull21 said:

In Columbus, it's either The Shoe or nothing at all....the new Crew stadium might seat just a bit more than Nationwide Arena.

Sometimes I wonder if Cleveland might be an option.  

Here's an emphatic NO to that. Cleveland is not Columbus and I'll be damned if they host our outdoor NHL game. They can eat my farts. 

As for those Columbus Blue Jackets - using a skeleton crew of Cleveland Monsters they have points in 12 straight games, 7-0-3 in the last ten, and won last night in overtime in Boston with a goalie who got his first NHL win 4 days ago. Joonas Korpisalo was named to the All-Star team, which is more than I could've optimistically hoped for when Bob left. Yeah he was injured in OT against Chicago, which sucks, but it looks like they need not be worried about their future in net without Bob. You almost don't want anyone to come back from injury because this is working. They're a lot more fun to watch than I expected coming into this season and I'm starting to get some 2016-2017 vibes out of this team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 1/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, AstroBull21 said:

- The Shoe in Columbus

- West Point?

- Rutgers?

- Yale Bowl?

- Harvard Stadium

The Shoe is way too big for the Blue Jackets to fill up even against the Penguins or the Red Wings, maybe do a doubleheader? Have the Detroit vs. Chicago and then Pittsburgh vs. Columbus? The Winter Classic gimmick is kind of stale so maybe changing things up some will draw more interest.

If the Red Wings had a halfway decent team a Wings vs. Pens game at the Browns Stadium would sell out and have a bowl game atmosphere. Same goes for Pens and Flyers in State College but none of the parties seem interested anymore. Also with nothing to do in that god forsaken town but drink before and after the game the fear of fights in the crowd and drunk drivers making the trek home are legit.

44 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

The Shoe is way too big for the Blue Jackets to fill up even against the Penguins or the Red Wings, maybe do a doubleheader? Have the Detroit vs. Chicago and then Pittsburgh vs. Columbus? The Winter Classic gimmick is kind of stale so maybe changing things up some will draw more interest.

If the Red Wings had a halfway decent team a Wings vs. Pens game at the Browns Stadium would sell out and have a bowl game atmosphere. Same goes for Pens and Flyers in State College but none of the parties seem interested anymore. Also with nothing to do in that god forsaken town but drink before and after the game the fear of fights in the crowd and drunk drivers making the trek home are legit.

Kinda stale?  They just had 85000+ at a game in Dallas between the Stars and Predators (which surprised me to say the least).  The obvious opponent for Columbus would be Detroit to playup the Ohio State-Michigan vibe, and getting 100,000+ at The Shoe is more than doable.

22 hours ago, ltp74 said:

No it isn't. It's the equivalent of filling 5.5 CBJ home games and the 18,000 people in the arena on game nights are not the only 18,000 CBJ fans in the world. I very much enjoy the historical parallel of today's skeptics with those when they built the place in the early 1920's who declared that Ohio State football would never get that many people to watch a football game. Those people were wrong almost immediately.

The Shoe sells out for blowout OSU games against teams like Florida A&M and while outdoor games are stale for fans in Chicago, Detroit, and Pittsburgh, it's still novel enough in Columbus that a one game date would get 100,000 people to show up. Pack it with a weekend of Ohio State, Cleveland Monsters, and high school games, and it'd be a slam dunk success. You'd get 50,000 non-hockey, Ohio State fans to buy tickets just out of curiosity and to be part of the scene. 

The Blue Jackets are drawing this year, the playoffs last year was a watershed moment and the team's finally taken root as a legit part of Columbus life, rather than a fringe activity for hockey dorks. I don't think it would even be hard to sell out Ohio Stadium. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

36 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Kinda stale?  They just had 85000+ at a game in Dallas between the Stars and Predators (which surprised me to say the least).  The obvious opponent for Columbus would be Detroit to playup the Ohio State-Michigan vibe, and getting 100,000+ at The Shoe is more than doable.

Stale from a tv viewer side of things, playing in the Cotton Bowl isn't going to get me to watch a Dallas-Nashville game.

Archived