2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Sport said:

I like it because it gives those Top 4 teams some stakes in their games while their future 1st round opponents are playing actual playoff games. It'd be hard for those higher seeds to ramp up from scrimmage games straight into a best of 7 series against a team who's been playing high-intensity games for at least a week. 

This. While it's easy for me to sit back now and say what a stupid idea it is based on the amount of the actual season played and the current state of the Bruins, they had to play something. You can't just let the entire league have a head start on the playoff caliber hockey while the top 4 teams play exhibition games. I still think it should've been a 5 game set where each team plays twice since the "first round" is best of 5, but I digress.

9 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I have not been watching much of the NHL since it has resumed, so is there a clear cut favorite to win the Stanley Cup or is the field wide open for yet another first time winner?

With the pandemic and acclimating to the bubble system, it really is a toss up more than ever. 

I honestly would not discount "play-in" teams like the Flames, Islanders, or even Blue Jackets." 

17 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

With the pandemic and acclimating to the bubble system, it really is a toss up more than ever. 

I honestly would not discount "play-in" teams like the Flames, Islanders, or even Blue Jackets." 

I am a big fan (in all sports) of teams looking for their first ever championship.  I have watched the last two Stanley Cup Finals for that reason alone.  In 2018, I didn't care who won because there were 2 first time teams and last year, I was rooting for St. Louis.  Also the reason I watched the NBA Finals and World Series last year.  

Archived