2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, selby56 said:

This feels like it would be a bit they'd use in Always Sunny. 

Victims dad “No one saw it... but it happened... Just as I described... a few months ago...Believe me...”

yea this is going nowhere unless the dude can find someone that was there that can attest to it, or some form of video evidence of a big Orange thing running up and punching a kid.

The weirdest thing about that Gritty story is the dad doesn't even have a lawyer yet. How many lawyers and "lawyers" do you think have contacted him by now?

He says he wants an apology and something special for his son. The Flyers offered to let him sit on the bench during warm-ups for a game. Should be case closed.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

What'd they do, have a Punch Chris Pronger contest?

It was a shooting accuracy contest from a platform in the stands at one end of the ice where players would shoot at targets worth points on the ice (it reminded me a bit of the old Wayne Gretzky-Mats Sundin McDonald's commercial), but the biggest target, shaped like the Arch, was worth the most points and it was right at centre ice. Kane said after the event was over that all the shooters had made a pact to only shoot for that target, so all the points during the event were from either hitting the Arch target or missing the Arch and subsequently hitting a surrounding target. Lots of the targets were never in play because there was no reason for the players to shoot at them due to the placement.

It came down to a tiebreaker between Kane and Marner. Marner shot first and missed slightly by putting the puck through the top of Arch which didn't count, then Kane also missed the arch but hit a two point target. So Kane won by missing worse than Marner did, but then accidentally hitting a different target.

Here's the highlights of it.

IbjBaeE.png

spacer.png

(this chart's from NHLtoSeattle)

Huh, turns out that a team's ownership actually trying to make a competitive team that either has elements of fun goofiness to it, like the Canes' Storm Surge, and also be part of the community, like how the Coyotes are finally doing the obvious thing and embracing the Hispanic market, helps boost attendance percentages in long-suffering Southern markets.

Would've thought that Southern teams following the Tampa model and actually engaging with the community would make them become more viable long-term? 😛

Conversely, Ottawa's dipping even further in attendance; which isn't surprising given the fanbase is basically trying anything they can to get Melnyk evicted from the franchise. Edmonton dipping 4% would be surprising if ownership wasn't also charging obscene prices for tickets and concessions for a team that has spent the last while flailing in mediocrity.

We need to start talking about the possibility of Ovechkin catching Gretzky's goals record, which always seemed to me like one of those things nobody would touch. 

He's at 698 and will be 35 in September, which means he's probably got 5-6 good years left not counting the rest of this one. He has more 50 goal seasons than not, a remarkable streak of health, and is averaging a pace to catch Gretzky in 4 more years. 

Gretzky's point record is probably safe. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, Sport said:

We need to start talking about the possibility of Ovechkin catching Gretzky's goals record, which always seemed to me like one of those things nobody would touch. 

He's at 698 and will be 35 in September, which means he's probably got 5-6 good years left not counting the rest of this one. He has more 50 goal seasons than not, a remarkable streak of health, and is averaging a pace to catch Gretzky in 4 more years. 

Gretzky's point record is probably safe. 

It will be amazing, because nobody thought Gretzky would be caught so soon and I don’t think there’s an argument for why it “won’t count”. Goals are harder to come by now, Ovechkin lost the 04-05 season to balance out Gretzky’s WHA year that doesn’t count toward his NHL stats, Gretzky had a personal security detail to keep him from getting mugged, etc. I guess you’d have to get down to composite sticks and fancy skates? I don’t know if anyone would take that argument seriously. I’m 100% pulling for him, but it won’t be a surprise if he gets old all of a sudden. Scoring 30-40 goals at 40 isn’t very common. Also the NHL will probably steal more games from him with another lockout...

42 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It will be amazing, because nobody thought Gretzky would be caught so soon

The record no one thought was touchable was Gretzky's points record, which looks to be safe. Jagar had to play an abnormally long time just to get within a thousand.

I don't recall anyone claiming Gretzky's goal record was untouchable. Impressive, to be sure, but not untouchable like his points record is.

43 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

and I don’t think there’s an argument for why it “won’t count”

People were claiming Gretzky's goal record "wouldn't count" back in the day because he played during a period of high scoring across the board. It's a lame argument that comes up anytime a modern star is on pace to break a record set in an earlier era. The earlier era is always held up to be harder/superior/more legitimate than the current era, even if the earlier era was derided by old timers when it was the current era.

It's a cycle of bs that you're best off ignoring. Just appreciate the accomplishment on display.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The record no one thought was touchable was Gretzky's points record, which looks to be safe. Jagar had to play an abnormally long time just to get within a thousand.

I don't recall anyone claiming Gretzky's goal record was untouchable. Impressive, to be sure, but not untouchable like his points record is.

People were claiming Gretzky's goal record "wouldn't count" back in the day because he played during a period of high scoring across the board. It's a lame argument that comes up anytime a modern star is on pace to break a record set in an earlier era. The earlier era is always held up to be harder/superior/more legitimate than the current era, even if the earlier era was derided by old timers when it was the current era.

It's a cycle of bs that you're best off ignoring. Just appreciate the accomplishment on display.

The points record is certainly further from reach, but the goal record is still a tall challenge. It wasn't that long ago that Ovechkin looked like he might be headed downhill himself (IIRC he had tough times when Trotz took over in Washington?). Ovechkin has basically 700 goals, and only one other active player has more than Crosby's current 455. Yeah, I do think it's surprising that the goal record is possibly within reach.

Comparing records across different eras is hard. I wouldn't put asterisks next to new records (maybe for steroids or other cheating), but it's totally part of the conversation. It's nice to be able to shut off that part of my brain in this instance, because virtually all variables make it harder for Ovechkin.

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It will be amazing, because nobody thought Gretzky would be caught so soon and I don’t think there’s an argument for why it “won’t count”. Goals are harder to come by now, Ovechkin lost the 04-05 season to balance out Gretzky’s WHA year that doesn’t count toward his NHL stats, Gretzky had a personal security detail to keep him from getting mugged, etc. I guess you’d have to get down to composite sticks and fancy skates? I don’t know if anyone would take that argument seriously.

comparing eras is tough, but it's unquestionably harder to score a goal now than it was in 1985, which makes Ovechkin's chase of the goal record more impressive in my opinion. The athletes are better and the goaltenders are way better which I think cancels out the better equipment argument. Gretzky had a solid 8 years when the goalies looked like this

39feb7f7a8db04ddf00a66c7bb034bb6.jpg

Look at that goof. It's no wonder it was the highest scoring era in hockey history. 

I’m 100% pulling for him, but it won’t be a surprise if he gets old all of a sudden. Scoring 30-40 goals at 40 isn’t very common. Also the NHL will probably steal more games from him with another lockout...

He probably doesn't have many more 50 goal seasons in him, but there's no reason he couldn't play until he's 43 or 44 as long as he stays healthy. If he breaks the record I'm guessing it'll be in his early 40's as he puts together 3 or 4 years of 25-30ish goals. 

Another lockout would be the biggest risk to this chase. He lost 30 something games in 2012-2013 too. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I felt like it was untouchable around the time Ovechkin and Crosby came into the league because 50 goal seasons were rare back then. In 2004 Kovalchuk, Nash, and Iginla tied for the Richard Trophy with 41 goals. St Louis led the league in points with 94, which wouldn't crack the top 10 fifteen years earlier. We knew the rules would be different coming out of the 05 lockout, but I never thought the game would ever allow for guys to score goals at the rate needed to catch Gretzky.

Gretzky's point record is up there with Cy Young's win total - an unreachable number set in an era when the game was played differently. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Also the NHL will probably steal more games from him with another lockout...

I don't think the league or PA would be very keen on having a lockout-lost season around the time a new expansion team is coming into the fold, though. And the 04/05 lockout was a culmination of years of bitter battling between the league and players over the salary cap, probably as long as Bettman had been commissioner; and nothing right now is nearly as bad as the lack of a cap was proving to be for the league in 04/05.

Besides, I think the days of massive lockouts are behind us with the introduction of the salary cap. We've only had one lockout since 2004/05, and that was only a lockout-shortened season and not a full-on lockout. The fact both the league and PA are comfortable with things now and negotiations have been going smoothly is probably a good sign that they won't enter another lockout when the current CBA ends.

Of course, this is the GDNHL, so maybe I'm off-base and we do get another lockout like right as Seattle's supposed to come into the league. 😛

Archived