NFL EXPANSION x Viperion101

Viperion101

So this is continuing on a concept from earlier this year, I didn't have enough time to work on it and it got shut down. So here goes, my idea/concept for an NFL Expansion. The expansion focuses on the eventual goal of adding one additional team per division, to avoid realignment. 

NEW TEAMS: 

Louisville Stallions (Louisville, KY; Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, eventually a new stadium)

Omaha Locomotives Engineers (Omaha, NE; new stadium)

Orlando Supernovas (Orlando, FL; Camping World Stadium) San Diego Aviators (San Diego, CA; SDCCU Stadium)

Oklahoma City Barons (Oklahoma City, OK; new stadium)

Norfolk Neptunes (Norfolk, VA; new stadium)

Calgary Icemen (Calgary, AB; McMahon Stadium)

San Antonio Venom (San Antonio, TX; Alamodome) Could also be the Commanders (it's a good name), or Blazers

Portland Axmen (Portland, OR; new stadium)

Alternate Options:

Mexico City Aztecs (Mexico City, Mexico; Estadio Azteca)

Toronto or Edmonton Icemen (instead of Calgary- Rogers Centre or Commonwealth Stadium)*

Quad Cities Harvesters (Quad Cities, Iowa)

Move the darn Chargers back to San Diego

Orlando, FL (Supernovas, Blazers, or Cosmics)

Austin, TX

DIVISIONS AFTER EXPANSION:

AFC East

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

Louisville Stallions

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

Pittsburgh Steelers

Omaha Locomotives Engineers

AFC South

Jacksonville Jaguars

Houston Texans

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Supernovas San Diego Aviators

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers

Las Vegas Raiders

Denver Broncos

Oklahoma City Barons

NFC East

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles

Dallas Cowboys

Norfolk Neptunes

NFC North

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Calgary Icemen

NFC South

Carolina Panthers

New Orleans Saints

Atlanta Falcons

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

San Antonio Venom Vipers

NFC West

Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers

Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams

Portland Axmen

spacer.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad start, but your logos are getting lost on the helmets. Either the logo color (just when placed on the helmet) or the helmet color need to be changed.

I also think you need some more white on both home jerseys. Try using white numbers instead of colored ones and add a white piping line between the yoke.

Add TV numbers too. They really help make a uniform look complete and help with color balance at the same time.

I would also change the sock color on almost all of the sets. IMO socks should almost never be the same color as the pants. 

• 2 weeks later...

CALGARY ICEMEN

Calgary, AB, Canada

Stadium: McMahon Stadium, would eventually build a new one or expand

Division: NFC North

General Concept:

spacer.png

Uniforms: 

spacer.png

Mascot/Main Logo (He needs a name, by the way. Open to suggestions):

spacer.png

Why Calgary (instead of more obvious options such as Montreal or Toronto):

-Calgary/western Canada is the most "America-Like" region of Canada. The CFL and football in general are more popular there in addition to hockey, whereas eastern Canada is more into baseball, lacrosse, and soccer (in addition to hockey).

-Toronto lacks a purpose-built Football stadium, Rogers Centre would have to be used until a new venue could be constructed. 

-Calgary already has several pre-existing venues, due to the 1988 Olympics and the annual Calgary Stampede. The Icemen would play at McMahon Stadium (approx. 35,000 capacity), until a new, larger, domed stadium could be built. 

-The idea would be to create a single unified team for all of Canada, similar to the Toronto Raptors. Since the Raptors are located in the East, maybe a Canadian NFL team could be located in the West. This would help the west feel integrated with the East. 

-The team may also be popular in the US States of Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Idaho. These places are the furthest from any NFL teams, and since Calgary is sort of in that region, so maybe fans in those states would also become fans of the Icemen. 

C&C Welcome on this. Interested to see what everyone thinks. 

spacer.png

Icicle the Iceman? Frozone? Hades? Also, for the word-mark, how about a blue ice stretch with a blue figure skating at the end? Good work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 9/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Blindsay said:

For the logo, the shade of black looks uneven. Still great as always!

Did you mean for the main horse head logo? If so, that’s on purpose, the head is supposed to be dark gray and the mane is supposed to be black. 

spacer.png

Barons Concept Info:

The name "Barons" refers to the "oil barons", since the oil industry is prominent in Oklahoma. The Barons were also a major league hockey team located in Oklahoma City, which left in 2015. I feel that the name fits the city pretty well. As far as the team's colors go, they are green, orange, black, and white. Green and white are both the official state colors of Oklahoma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_state_symbols), and orange is a good compliment to those 2 colors (plus, it is one of Oklahoma State University's colors). Black simply represents oil. Plus, the green offers a good contrast to the rest of the AFC West teams' colors (Red for the Chiefs, Black for the Raiders, Blue and orange for the Broncos, and Light Blue and Yellow for the Chargers). When the Barons Play the Chiefs, it could be known as the "Red-Green Rivalry". 

P.S.- It would also be hilarious if one of the team's slogans was "Go Green". About a team named after oil. Liberals cringe. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Murg said:

Divisions are kinda wonky with these additions, you'd almost have to totally realign them for them to make sense logistically. Maybe even reduce each conference to only a North and South division or something 

Do you mean in terms of geography? I tried to make sure to consider the location of the teams when I was determining what division they should be in. 

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Viperion101 said:

Do you mean in terms of geography? I tried to make sure to consider the location of the teams when I was determining what division they should be in. 

Yeah just geography wise, like the AFC North is a pretty tightly grouped conference, the longest trip for a team being 8 hours between Cincinnati and Baltimore. Now with Omaha the shortest trip any team would ever have to make out there is 10.5 hours and the longest ends up at something like 17.5 hours. That's a pretty drastic shift in the logistics of the conference if you ask me. But if you moved Louisville into the AFC North all of a sudden you have a pretty tightly grouped conference again. I know that the rest of the conferences don't have quite as easy of solutions but it's at least something to think about.  

Kinda sucks that you're hardly getting any comments or constructive criticism on these. From what I see, there's a lot of promise in these concepts. I'm far from an expert, but I've been here a while so I can try and do my best to give you a few pointers. 

First of all, I want to say that many of these have a really decent idea behind them. You wordmarks are pretty good, but the logos do need a bit of work. Yours, as they are now, look more like illustrations than logos.

Logos tend to be simpler with thicker lines. Think about scaling the logo down to something that would fit on a business card or a polo shirt. Will all elements of your logo be able to stand out? Would the colors bleed? Another thing to consider asking yourself: Can the logo be printed in stark black and white? These are all thinks you must think about when designing.  

Like I mentioned earlier, all of your logos show great promise. I love the idea behind all of them. Even the weird Iceman, dude. The idea is there, but it needs a lot of work. I can't for the life of me draw faces any humanesque type of logo, so I can't give a whole lot of help here. Basically, just follow the guidelines I mentioned above. Thicker and fewer lines and I would try to limit it to about three or four colors (including black), right now, if I'm not mistaken in my count, you have 8 colors going on in the iceman logo. 

Speaking of colors, I'd also mess around with different pallets. In a few of your concepts the colors seem muted or muddied, others simply don't use colors that are attractive together. For instance, I really like the logo for the Neptunes, but the blue and gold bleed pretty bad. It's actually a really nice shade of blue, but with that dark and saturated of a gold, it looks more green that it actually is. On top of that, I see 6 different shades of gold in the 'N', way too many. 

A couple things, and these are less important to your improvement in design, but, I think a better template would work in your favor. When you zoom in you can see many lose pixels around the lines of the template. Also, I mentioned above that I really liked the wordmark logos for each team, but the actual number fonts are quite boring. I'd find and download some different fonts to try out. 

I hope some of this helps and I'd love to see a few updates. These definitely show effort and potential.

Archived