NFL EXPANSION x Viperion101

Viperion101

12 hours ago, Murg said:

Yeah just geography wise, like the AFC North is a pretty tightly grouped conference, the longest trip for a team being 8 hours between Cincinnati and Baltimore. Now with Omaha the shortest trip any team would ever have to make out there is 10.5 hours and the longest ends up at something like 17.5 hours. That's a pretty drastic shift in the logistics of the conference if you ask me. But if you moved Louisville into the AFC North all of a sudden you have a pretty tightly grouped conference again. I know that the rest of the conferences don't have quite as easy of solutions but it's at least something to think about.  

That would work if Louisville was in the AFC North, but then where would Omaha be? Except for the AFC North, most of the other new teams would be close to the rest of their divisions geographically. Also, other divisions (mainly the AFC West) have long distances between their teams, so this should not be much more of a problem than it already is. 

spacer.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAN ANTONIO VENOM VIPERS

San Antonio, TX

Division: NFC South

Stadium: Alamodome

Logos:

spacer.png

Wordmarks:

spacer.png

Uniforms:

spacer.png

Wanted to call the team the San Antonio Vipers, it seems to flow better and it seems more NFL-appropriate (Venom seems like more of an XFL-type name), and the XFL already has the Vipers in Tampa (it's a great name for a team, just wish they would've made that the name of one of the Texas teams). 

C&C Welcome. 

UPDATE: I changed the name to the Vipers and adjusted the colors. Post with new stuff coming momentarily. 

spacer.png

First time I've seen this and I have to say, you've got a solid start.

31 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

Wanted to call the team the San Antonio Vipers, it seems to flow better and it seems more NFL-appropriate (Venom seems like more of an XFL-type name), and the XFL already has the Vipers in Tampa (it's a great name for a team, just wish they would've made that the name of one of the Texas teams). 

Maybe I'm missing something or overlooked something, but if you wanted to call the team the Vipers, why didn't you? The XFL team? It does sound a lot better as an NFL name compared to Venom, so I'd have gone with it, even if it shares a name with a team in the XFL. As long as the logos are unique enough, it shouldn't be an issue. As for colors, that teal is way too bright. I like the combo of red and teal, but using a deeper shade of the teal would do wonders. If you don't want to change the shade however, limiting the teal to an accent color could work.

As for the logos you've come up with so far, I'd really recommend listening to this:

On 10/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, Heitert said:

First of all, I want to say that many of these have a really decent idea behind them. You wordmarks are pretty good, but the logos do need a bit of work. Yours, as they are now, look more like illustrations than logos.

Logos tend to be simpler with thicker lines. Think about scaling the logo down to something that would fit on a business card or a polo shirt. Will all elements of your logo be able to stand out? Would the colors bleed? Another thing to consider asking yourself: Can the logo be printed in stark black and white? These are all thinks you must think about when designing.  

Like I mentioned earlier, all of your logos show great promise. I love the idea behind all of them. Even the weird Iceman, dude. The idea is there, but it needs a lot of work. I can't for the life of me draw faces any humanesque type of logo, so I can't give a whole lot of help here. Basically, just follow the guidelines I mentioned above. Thicker and fewer lines and I would try to limit it to about three or four colors (including black), right now, if I'm not mistaken in my count, you have 8 colors going on in the iceman logo. 

Speaking of colors, I'd also mess around with different pallets. In a few of your concepts the colors seem muted or muddied, others simply don't use colors that are attractive together. For instance, I really like the logo for the Neptunes, but the blue and gold bleed pretty bad. It's actually a really nice shade of blue, but with that dark and saturated of a gold, it looks more green that it actually is. On top of that, I see 6 different shades of gold in the 'N', way too many. 

A couple things, and these are less important to your improvement in design, but, I think a better template would work in your favor. When you zoom in you can see many lose pixels around the lines of the template. Also, I mentioned above that I really liked the wordmark logos for each team, but the actual number fonts are quite boring. I'd find and download some different fonts to try out. 

Like I said, you have a solid start, but the logos would definitely benefit from some additional time. Keep up with what you're doing and I'm excited to see how you progress!

Okay so I think something's screwed up. The teal on the uniforms is supposed to be the same color as the teal on the logo (so it actually looks green-ish, not Cyan. The color formula is supposed to be R55/G255/B165). There must have been something that went wrong with Inkscape (where I create the concepts) or Imgur (where I host them). I'll experiment with making the color a little darker, though. 

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

Okay so I think something's screwed up. The teal on the uniforms is supposed to be the same color as the teal on the logo (so it actually looks green-ish, not Cyan. The color formula is supposed to be R55/G255/B165). There must have been something that went wrong with Inkscape (where I create the concepts) or Imgur (where I host them). I'll experiment with making the color a little darker, though. 

The colors are the same on both?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

San Antonio Venom VIPERS Update

Decided to change the name and modify the colors a little bit. 

If anyone is able to tell me how to keep Imgur from hypersaturating the colors from Inkscape (will explain in a new post), please let me know. It's very irritating when I come up with something on Inkscape that I really like, and once I upload it to Imgur, it's a different color than I want. 

Logos:

spacer.png

Wordmarks: 

spacer.png

Uniforms:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Problem:

So I create something in Inkscape: 

spacer.png

And then I post it into Imgur and it shows up like this:

spacer.png

The Inkscape window is the most updated version of my concept (I know it says "Venom", it's a different area of my drawing page. What I'm really trying to show is the color difference). If I'm not mistaken, there is a difference between the top picture and the bottom one (pay special attention to the red). Is there any way to fix this? The red on the concept is really supposed to be more of a maroon, as in the top picture, but ends up looking like something other than maroon on the bottom one. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, BellaSpurs said:

I’d go more blue than green, look at the D-Backs colors instead of a mint green

The reason I went with the "mint green" was to try and match the color of the San Antonio Texans, a former CFL team that played in San Antonio. I also wanted more of a "neon"/"electric" color than a color like the D-Backs green. 

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

It's the red that seems to be different. 

Neither colors are different to me. And red and mint green clash a lot. If you want something like that I would recommend either a darker green rather than mint (The bucks come to mind) or a teal like the D-backs, and it would help the black too, black when paired mint green are awfully childish colors I can’t see a pro team taking

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

spacer.png

Top Left: The color that Imgur displays

Top Right: The color that Inkscape displays, the correct color

Bottom: Both shades of green are the same between Imgur and Inkscape. I was only asking if there was a way to prevent this from happening with the shades of red. 

Also, the San Antonio Texans, the Miami Dolphins (kind of), Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies, and a few other NBA teams all use teal or some variant of mint green. The original maroon doesn't clash with the green used on the uniforms, but the one that Imgur displays does a little bit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's the shades of teal compared to yours, (Top left: San Antonio Texans, Middle Left: Arizona D-Backs, Bottom Left: Memphis Grizz, Top Right: Miami Dolphins, Bottom right: Charlotte Hornets) 

Your green is significantly more green than the others. I would lean to any of these more than what you've used.

3YCQJRO.png

SAN DIEGO AVIATORS

San Diego, CA

Division: AFC South

Stadium: SDCCU Stadium

Logos:

spacer.png

Wordmarks:

spacer.png

Uniforms:

spacer.png

I know that the poll that I put in here the other day said that "San Diego Aces" was the preferred choice, but when I thought about it more, the name "Aces" seems like more of a name for a baseball team. "Aviators" placed second, and it just seemed like a better fit. The team's colors take after the San Diego Fleet AAF team, except the Away Alternate uniforms, which is inspired by the former San Diego Chargers, and it is also sort of a sky blue. The logo is a stylized version of the F-14 Tomcat (a.k.a. the planes from Top Gun), which were stationed in San Diego. 

C&C Welcome. 

spacer.png

One other thing to mention about the San Diego concept is that I decided to go with San Diego over Orlando for the AFC South team. After doing some research, it just doesn't seem feasible for Orlando to support an NFL team. The other 3 NFL teams in Florida don't have that strong of a following (as is the same with most Florida teams, except maybe the Miami Heat and the TB Lightning). I feel that adding a fourth team to the state would oversaturate the market. It's different with California (The Aviators would be California's 4th team) or even Texas (if the team would be located in Austin, which was the other option I was considering. Austin Aviators sounds pretty cool, I'll probably do a concept for that later, but I digress), since each of the cities has its own identity, whereas most Florida cities are very similar. I think that San Diego was a stronger football market than Los Angeles is (both the Chargers and Rams's home games are full of away team fans). 

I'm still going to do a concept for an Orlando team later, as well as an Austin team. 

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Viperion101 said:

One other thing to mention about the San Diego concept is that I decided to go with San Diego over Orlando for the AFC South team. After doing some research, it just doesn't seem feasible for Orlando to support an NFL team. The other 3 NFL teams in Florida don't have that strong of a following (as is the same with most Florida teams, except maybe the Miami Heat and the TB Lightning). I feel that adding a fourth team to the state would oversaturate the market. It's different with California (The Aviators would be California's 4th team) or even Texas (if the team would be located in Austin, which was the other option I was considering. Austin Aviators sounds pretty cool, I'll probably do a concept for that later, but I digress), since each of the cities has its own identity, whereas most Florida cities are very similar. I think that San Diego was a stronger football market than Los Angeles is (both the Chargers and Rams's home games are full of away team fans). 

I'm still going to do a concept for an Orlando team later, as well as an Austin team. 

I think the best use for Camping World Stadium in Orlando would be to have it as a permanent location for the Super Bowl. That way, it's truly a neutral location (unless one of the Florida teams is playing, and seeing as things are, it's gonna be awhile till that happens). The city is already a major tourist destination, with flights from just about everywhere in the United States, and enough hotel rooms to accommodate an event the size of the Super Bowl. 

spacer.png

I like the color scheme. The logo could use some work, though. For such an iconic and badass looking plane, the perspective you've chosen makes it look very static. It could still work, however, if you add some more detail. As of right now, it reads as a silhouette with just a few highlights. It doesn't read as an F-14. 

I'd go with a white helmet, too. The logo gets a little lost as is. 

39 minutes ago, Heitert said:

I like the color scheme. The logo could use some work, though. For such an iconic and badass looking plane, the perspective you've chosen makes it look very static. It could still work, however, if you add some more detail. As of right now, it reads as a silhouette with just a few highlights. It doesn't read as an F-14. 

I'd go with a white helmet, too. The logo gets a little lost as is. 

spacer.png

Here's the home and away main uniforms with white helmets, I agree that those do help the logo stand out more. 

As far as the logo itself looks, I did actually kind of think the same thing, that it's a little static-looking and featureless. However, the plane from the top looks like this:

spacer.png

and I feel like that I already incorporated most of the features, and if I incorporate more, it will start to look crowded. The F-14 is fairly iconic, with the large delta-shaped wings at the rear, and I think that most people would know what the plane is supposed to be. 

spacer.png

Archived