Australian Rules Football Appreciation Thread

neo_prankster

How many of you guys like Australian Rules Football? I first heard of it in a book I got for Christmas many, many years ago called Rules of the Game. Those of you that remember the original Driveball threads may recall that I've cited Aussie Rules as one of my inspirations.

51eLKQWafxL._SX372_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then as time went on, my curiosity went through the roof when Darren Bennett joined the San Diego Chargers as their punter. I soon learned he had played Aussie Rules for the Melbourne Demons a few years prior to his transition to the gridiron. From then on, I tried to catch as many AFL games as I could whenever ESPN or Fox Sports West would randomly show it. As an American that has never had the chance to visit Australia, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with what little I've actually seen of Aussie Rules.

In the meantime, here's a top ten list of AFL team songs.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the craziest athlete to be considered an all-time great in their respective sport, Mr. Ben Cousins!

How many American athletes have sneaked into an army base to do drugs, shaved their body to avoid a hair-based drug test, and got caught with meth up their anus at airport customs?

Also, despite doing a bunch of crystal meth/ice, he still looks pretty good.

AAEDHxG.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f

If you want to hear more about him/hear two Americans trying to make sense of the sport, here you go.

17 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

How many of you guys like Australian Rules Football? I first heard of it in a book I got for Christmas many, many years ago called Rules of the Game. Those of you that remember the original Driveball threads may recall that I've cited Aussie Rules as one of my inspirations.

Then as time went on, my curiosity went through the roof when Darren Bennett joined the San Diego Chargers as their punter. I soon learned he had played Aussie Rules for the Melbourne Demons a few years prior to his transition to the gridiron. From then on, I tried to catch as many AFL games as I could whenever ESPN or Fox Sports West would randomly show it. As an American that has never had the chance to visit Australia, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with what little I've actually seen of Aussie Rules.

this should be number 1:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

17 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

have to put this (since its number 1 on this list)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, jcase said:

How about a push to get Chris to put the AFL logos on his site?

It's a shame this league is not included. He's even got the NRL for crying out loud.

Seconded. Been a secret Cats fan for a couple years now

11 hours ago, jcase said:

How about a push to get Chris to put the AFL logos on his site?

It's a shame this league is not included. He's even got the NRL for crying out loud.

The Australian Baseball League, A-League, National Basketball League, National Rugby League, and Super League (with four Australian member-clubs) are all represented in the logo section of the site. Granted, each requires updates. That said, they're still on the site. The AFL really should be added.

7 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Australian Baseball League, A-League, National Basketball League, National Rugby League, and Super League (with four Australian member-clubs) are all represented in the logo section of the site. Granted, each requires updates. That said, they're still on the site. The AFL really should be added.

This list makes the oversight even worse since the AFL is more popular and generates more revenue than all these leagues.

Anyone have a suggestion how to get this ball rolling? I'd be happy to champion the effort but I'm sure Chris doesn't read these threads.

Love seeing an Aussie Rules thread. I really wish it was more popular here. Definitely agree on getting the logos up on site. Just wondering for anyone else who follows the league, who is your team? I've personally been cheering for Fremantle since 2016, it's been rough.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Great to see more people discovering footy. Agreed that the mothership really should have AFL logos -- they have all those other Australian leagues, none of which are as popular as the AFL is there.

I've been playing here in Minneapolis since 2014. I'd encourage you guys to go out and see your local USAFL club, once we're all playing again. As for the AFL, carn the Blues!!

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

On 5/12/2020 at 10:34 AM, pluggerplugger1 said:

I've been playing here in Minneapolis since 2014.

Freeze! I played very briefly, but I do have a winner's medal from the 2005 Nationals in Div III.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived